Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Pike cross-breed ?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever heard of this ??

Talking to a friend of mine in Sweden last night & he reckons there's an article in the fishing press there about a Pike with Zander like fins ?

I've asked him if he can translate it for me & if so I'll post it...

Never heard of it before, but i guess it could be possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

Some say that Zander is a cross between Pike and Perch but im sceptic,
    I think its highly unlikley... why i hear you ask!
    Why arnt there any Zander in ireland??? its a completely different spicies,
    If pike could cross breed in ireland, I would have cought it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I dont think it will be too long before we see Zander in Ireland imho - there have been unconfirmed reports of Zander in the midlands lakes.

They say that with current fishery controls the chances of new breeds coming in is almost impossible, but we now have verified catches of chub, so why not Zander.

My fear is, we dont seem to have taken any great measures against the spread of zebra mussels until it was too late - the same will probably be true should anyone bring Zander into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can pike cross breed????

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

Can pike cross breed????

No.

Solid answer:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A Tiger Musky is a cross between a Northern Pike and a Muskellunge.
    So yes they can.
    But Tiger Muskies are sterile, so they are only likely to exist in numbers if artificially cross bred in a hatchery as happens in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pikes can cross breed, but only with a similar species, like the example given by the poster before me.

It is quite common in the US and in Canada for pikes to cross breed in fisheries under controlled conditions and also in the wild. Most times the resulting fish will be sterile.

The whole thing about a zander being a cross breed between a pike and a perch was just a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Andip wrote: »
    They say that with current fishery controls the chances of new breeds coming in is almost impossible, but we now have verified catches of chub, so why not Zander.

What fishery controls!:confused::confused::D:D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Zander are a pest by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

true, they waste live fish, killing them, but not eating...
    Degsy wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Andip wrote: »
    Anyone ever heard of this ??

Talking to a friend of mine in Sweden last night & he reckons there's an article in the fishing press there about a Pike with Zander like fins ?

I've asked him if he can translate it for me & if so I'll post it...

Never heard of it before, but i guess it could be possible

short answer, NO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Degsy wrote: »

That is bacause they were never ment to be in the UK! i would be very worried if zander were in irish rivers

Advertisement