Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP - anti-theft steering wheel lock is broken

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

HELP please
    I have one of those big yellow coloured T shaped steering wheel locks (see picture) which clamps onto the wheel and slides over the dash – brand name “T Rex”. The key is round and normally just pops in and turns…but not this morning. It appears that there is something wrong in the barrel of the actual locking mechanism and the key wont go in correctly or turn.
    I don’t want to force it, but there is clearly something wrong in the barrel of the lock.

What can I do?

I can’t find a website for the company who sells this as there is only a brand name “T Rex” and not a manufacturer name. Any ideas?

The car (ford) is new, so has RAC cover, but I don’t know if they would come out for this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you tried a shot of WD40?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you tried a shot of WD40?

Yup. And even a gentle tap of a rubber mallet to try an release the spring mechanism.
    No joy

I'm assuming you've tried all the usual jiggling around of the lock and key too? If so, I suppose your next best step is to ring the RAC and ask them. If they say no, then it's either a call-out locksmith or the fire brigade. A friend of mine once lost the key for such a lock and the fire brigade ended up cutting it off for him for free. This was maybe 12 years ago though, things may have changed since. Don't stress just yet though, i've a feeling the RAC might say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I had one of those years ago and it used to get stuck. A bit of fiddling with the key used to sort it. It would never be frozen by any chance?

If needs be it could be broken off. They are not very strong. The main thing is to avoid damage to the car/steering wheel.
    It should be possible to remove the wheel, clamp the silver part of the lock in a bench vise and swing out of the yellow arm to break it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've a similar one from lidl. No change you've the key facing in the wrong direction?

Failing that it's either saw through the lock, or your steering wheel. Unless you can drill through the lock maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

I hate them blooby yolks, Dont understand why people put theese on newer cars. a good alarm/immobiliser will stop 99% of cars being stolen but there are always that 1% that will go to any lenghts to steal a car.

Any back on topic
    Your f****d:D
    No only messin, call a good locksmith and for around 30-40 yoyo he will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Panic over :D the dam thing is off and in the bin.

I don’t know exactly what did it… After Anan1’s advice, I drowned it in WD40 and did lots of jiggling around and after 20 mins just when I was going to call a locksmith hey presto the key turned.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If all else fails, an angle grinder will make light work of it.

H2G2 wrote: »
    Panic over :D the dam thing is off and in the bin.

I don’t know exactly what did it… After Anan1’s advice, I drowned it in WD40 and did lots of jiggling around and after 20 mins just when I was going to call a locksmith hey presto the key turned.

Thanks for all the advice.
    You can't beat the jigglin'.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the wd40 takes a while to take effect alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

No need for them yokes on a new car. No key means no go in nearly any newish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wossack wrote: »
    the WD40 takes a while to take effect alright :)

.........thats because its a Water Displacer and not a penetrating oil !

If you had used penetrating oil you probably would have got it off in 2 minutes !! :D

BTW I heard that WD40 was a by-product of something else they were trying to make. They basically stumbled up this and realised they could sell it. It is apparantly one of the most succesful marketing jobs ever, saturate the market with the stuff (no pun intended :D ) and folk will buy it with realising exactly what it is !!

Really? I bought my first can because it smelt nice.;)

Advertisement