Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Tell An 8 Year Old Their Dog Died?

• 06-02-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Like the title says: If you're son/daughter had a pet that had to be put down, would you explain the situation to them that it was better rather than leaving the animal in pain or would you lie.

Personally, i would probably tell them and allow them to learn about mortality rather than coddle them. How young would you say is too young.

NOTE:Mods, i posted this thread here as its not a parenting issue but rather a curiosity to people's general opinions.

Would you Expose the child to the notion of mortality at a relatively young age(~8)? 83 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    97% 81 votes
    It would depend on the child.
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

yes i would and i would be as brutal and graphic about it as possible....

just to let them know the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yes,i would.Anything less than 8 can get dodgy...My parents did this to me when i was young..i only found out a few years back that my beloved dog didnt actually run away... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The concept of death is tough even for adults to think about, but I don't think that children should be spared from the truth.

I'm not sure if I'd go into any great detail about the process. Even if a person isn't religious, it may be easier from a child's perspective to say that the dog is now chasing cats in heaven or something along those lines rather than attempt to broach the "is there life after death" topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Gladly and have done so on many occasions! :D

Whether or not they had dogs or said dogs were deceased is an unknown factor in this scenario, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well of course..... the sight of my kid playing with a dead dog might just disturb the neighbours a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i think it should be used as a learning tool, tell the little fecker that the dogs dead and he's next if he doesnt buck up and start flying straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Yeah of course, they have to learn about the reality of death sometime and this is a perfect opportunity. Better they learn this with an animal instead of first confronting the concept when a loved one dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What Susannahmia says (except to note the 8 year old will think of a pet as a loved one).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

mike65 wrote: »
    What Susannahmia says (except to note the 8 year old will think of a pet as a loved one).

Mike.

Meh they'd get over it a hell of a lot quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No lie's. My old pair told me my doberman ran away but I overheard my father telling a friend they had to reload the shotgun to kill him. I spent ages searching and waiting for me poor ol dog to come home but it never happened. In the end I shot the ol lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes. But only if the dog had not, in fact, died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Yes - tell them, it is important that they know that the dog is not coming back.

When one of our dogs died we left the kids (14 months and 3 year at the time) say good bye, it was bloody hard going watching the 1 year old wag the dogs tail as she had never seen her without a wagging tail, then let it drop.

We still get questions fron the eldest, that would break your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah, show them the body too sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Yeah you'd definitely have to tell them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Would definitely tell the kid that the dog was dead. Probably wouldn't tell him/her how it died though. No 8 year old needs to hear about the ins and outs of anal traumas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Pighead wrote: »
    Would definitely tell the kid that the dog was dead. Probably wouldn't tell him/her how it died though. No 8 year old needs to hear about the ins and outs of anal traumas.
    I read this thread solely for your post. I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Make a curry, have an after dinner chat about the dogs faith :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You fúck dogs to death?

Sometimes, you're looking a bit worried there azezil buddy.
    Well after his encounter with 6th he's been feeling a little "vulnerable"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

azezil wrote: »
    You fúck dogs to death?
    Sometimes, you're looking a bit worried there azezil buddy.

• Advertisement

I did it! I broke the space time continuum!!! And it only took me three thousand posts!

*yay arms*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

all you have to say is "your dog is dead, build a bridge" sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I told our kids that some bastard had run over the cat. It was about ten years later I told them that the bastard was me.:mad: I've been looking over my shoulder ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 7th

I wouldn't tell any kid that a dog died. You know why? Because there is no such thing as death. Or dogs.

Ell. Oh. Ell.

My friend has had many cats. One got obliterated on the road right outside his house one night when he was about twelve. He was out there with the shovel the next morning, scraping the fluffy bastard off the road.

7th wrote: »
    I wouldn't tell any kid that a dog died. You know why? Because there is no such thing as death. Or dogs.
    Gasp! You sir, are a failure.

Or a con artist... ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm undecided, though I did vote yes. I had a dog when I was around that age that we'd rescued from a dodgy animal shelter (that is now shut down) that was sick, vet tried his best but I came home from school one day to find out that my mother had to have it put down. I was absolutely distraught after it and held it against her for quite a while, as I was blaming her for killing it and I don't really think it helped me learn about death tbh.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think I would tell the child the dog has gone to get married to some pretty little flowers in Fluffyland. I would then present some bloody entrails from my pocket and flash strobe lights at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I told our kids that some bastard had run over the cat. It was about ten years later I told them that the bastard was me.:mad: I've been looking over my shoulder ever since.

You Bastard :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Do the reasonble thing and tell the kid that George W. Bush ate the poor bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd probably tell them, but embellish a bit

"He's in heaven now chasing cats and watching over you..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

When I was small I had a budgie called Bluebell. I was told Bluebell flew out the window when my mam was cleaning the cage.
    I finally copped on last year that the budgie had died. I'd spent two years praying the bird would come back!

So, yeah, tell em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No. I'd either work up to it very gradually or work out a flat lie. Life is too full of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Yes. My friend actually convinced his 8 year old brother that his dog died, to the point where the kid started crying. He said he got in trouble, but im sure it was all worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Dragan wrote: »
    Well of course..... the sight of my kid playing with a dead dog might just disturb the neighbours a little bit.
    Well leave the dog standing up, and it might not look as obvious...

...yes, i'd tell them, as nicely as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I voted yes, but it was more of a general view. I dunno if I would have the heart to tell an 8 year old the pet they had known for all their life had to be put down, it would be very hard to explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It would really depend. I never had that experience when I was really young. It's been a year since my childhood pet (cat) died and I still haven't quite gotten used to the concept. I'm still quite upset about it actually.

Thinking about it I'd probably sugar coat to a huge degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just wondering what those who think telling them the truth is a bit dodgy think my parents should have told me when I was 5 and my grandfather died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If it was me, I'd wait until you do poor in a test in school. Then I'd leave the dead grandparents body in your room to find, and as you bawl your eyes out upon discovering grandead, Id calmly whisper in your ear 'this is because you did poor in school'....

Youd have several degrees by this stage...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A difficult time indeed for someone under 8, but don't become a role model that selectively lies to their children. Yes, I would try to work through it with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

They need to understand the meaning of death, i would never lie to the child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lookleft

I would because they will find out anyway and the will be upset about being lied to

Advertisement