Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hope Brazil thrash us...

• 06-02-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hope we get annihilated tonight?
    The only people this 'friendly' means anything to is the FAI (who get a windfall once again for using a sold out Croker) and Don 'Give me more time' Givens who can talk about the time he managed Ireland against Brazil in a full house Croke Park.

This should have been a vital preparation game for our new manager to start his new team and new tactics.

Yeah, I know there's gonna be people having a go at me as 'you should always support your team, no matter what.... blah blah.

How do you think the players feel going into such a high profile friendly, still with no manager and no real direction?

It's all gone beyond a joke.

I'd be sick if we somehow pulled off a win tonight, to see smug Delaney then make comments about the wonderful state of Irish soccer...

Mods - I started new thread to allow other Ireland Vs Brazil thread be used more for team discussion and warm up / match itself.

Tonight? 74 votes

I hope Brazil thrash us... Don't want Givens taking credit and this game means nothing
    0% 0 votes
    C'mon Ireland!!!
    10% 8 votes
    Who gives a f&*k anymore?
    60% 45 votes
    Atari Juninho
    28% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't be so unpatriotic.

Where is your national pride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

your a true supported so ya? you want your country to get beaten, this sickens me

listen, i dont give 1 f**k about the FAI, i really dont. i only care about 1 thing and 1 thing only, the 11 lads that wear the green on the pitch, representing the country that i was born in. your a disgrace, you really are. take off your anti fai tinted glasses and support your country ffs.

by the way, i have heard from reliable sources, that the fai will make very little from tonight. they have had to pay a good few million euros(i have heard 4) to get brazil here and are paying the GAA 1.25 million euro. so add up all other expenses and maybe you realise that this game is not about money. The serbia game maybe, but not this. These typs of posts are total crap and anyway, theres already an ireland brazil thread, why couldn you post in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I want Ireland to do well, but I just can't be arsed concentrating on this game. If Oireland get to the World Cup, great and I'll follow them the whole way through the qualifiers, but it's only a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

all joking aside, what is the point of this thread?

you know what people are going to say, this is going to become another anti FAI thread

wahey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

this game is not about money.

Then what the hell is this game about???

Oh right... for the 'fans'...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Someone please delete this ridiculous thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Why, because you disagree with its sentiment?

I hope Oireland are beaten soundly tonight. If for no other reason that Don Givens delightful little quote the other day - something along the lines of - "We would have a manager in place if I didn't have to concentrate on first team affairs for this game". Yes, because this game is more important. Idiot. But at least the Ireland "fans" will be happy that they get to see their favourite TV stars.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Then what the hell is this game about???

Oh right... for the 'fans'...

so you would rather we play an even more meaningless friendly then so ya? like england v switzerland for example?

or would you rather we play greece or latvia like other countries. the point of this is its an internationl week and we have to play somebody. the fact that its brazil means the most famous team in the world and here and lets just f**king enjoy it. Im supporting Ireland and I hope we win and even if it was Iceland or f**king Turkey, i would still be in Croke Park tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

by the way, i have heard from reliable sources, that the fai will make very little from tonight. they have had to pay a good few million euros(i have heard 4) to get brazil here

Rubbish, 4 million?? Who is this "source". Brazil do get money, but not no where near 4 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Why the **** do people on these boards feel they are an authority on wat threads are allowed and wat threads arent?! if the mods dont think this is a valid thread, they'll close it. If you dont like this thread IGNORE IT. simple.

• Advertisement

I suppose the box office attraction of Brazil will help the FAI pay their rent of the GAAs ground anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

so you would rather we play an even more meaningless friendly then so ya? like england v switzerland for example?

That's a hugely significant match for them, under their new manager as he starts his preparations for WC2010 qualification. I'm watching that tonight.

Boggles wrote: »
    Rubbish, 4 million?? Who is this "source". Brazil do get money, but not no where near 4 million.

well can u prove me wrong so? i came up with a figure that i have been told and i stand by that. The lad that told me this, also told me this game was happening about 6 weeks before it became common knowledge so i trust him that its correct.

can ya ask him who the new manager is please?

Mr Alan wrote: »

Ireland will have a different manager for every game.

Trapatoni, ElTel, Gerry H, Jean Tigana, Lawrie Sanchez, Big Mick, Steve Kenny, Omar Troussier.

he has already told me. i have already posted about this.

but, i do agree with one thing in this thread, DON GIVENS is a muppet and a disgrace to Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

well can u prove me wrong so? i came up with a figure that i have been told and i stand by that. The lad that told me this, also told me this game was happening about 6 weeks before it became common knowledge so i trust him that its correct.
    Didn't the FAI hand over the TV rights to the last game as part payment thereby reducing the cost to get them to play? And then used the attraction of seeing Brazil play to bundle the two other friendlies against less attractive teams into a 3 ticket bundle.

As for hoping to see Ireland get thrashed? Whatever floats your boat I suppose. Personally I hope Ireland win but I'd never hope for anything other than that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id rather we win and the whole country gets a little bit of joy from it then hoping for a beating just to spite a few guys in Dublin...

I hope Brazil win.

They have all of these amazing players, and I just hope they turn on the style and entertain me for ninety minutes.

It doesn't really matter to Ireland anyway, no manager, players playing for nothing, and I, as a consumer, just want to see a decent level of football being played by these superstars who are coming to my hometown.

They will make 3 million from gate receipts tonight.

3 - 4 (Brazil) - 1.25 (Gaa) = -2.25 million euro

Your friend is blowing smoke up your arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

€-2.25m!? Do the FAI ever learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

All I want is to be entertained. On the pitch, I'm expecting Brazil to do so tonught. Off the pitch I expect the muppet's in the FAI to do so in typical Monty Python fashion for next couple of weeks.

Without sounding like a gossip merchant, I'm hoping to see a candidate or two in the crowd tonight to start the tongues wagging even further.

If Brazil do gives us a hiding, I can't see Trap coming near us though. Venables would (as he would take the managers job in the local Centra if the money was right)

I don't really care about the result and but am hoping Duffers can regain some of his magic after his time on the sidelines. I'm also hoping to see Robbie Keane reproducing some of his form in the Premiership.

So 4-3 to Brazil would do me, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Why, because you disagree with its sentiment?

I hope Oireland are beaten soundly tonight. If for no other reason that Don Givens delightful little quote the other day - something along the lines of - "We would have a manager in place if I didn't have to concentrate on first team affairs for this game". Yes, because this game is more important. Idiot. But at least the Ireland "fans" will be happy that they get to see their favourite TV stars.

lol. bitter eircom league "true salt of the earth supporter" fan alert.

The hate for Don Givens is small minded and forgetful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd love to see us win.

Partly because the result might convince someone like Trappatoni that we're worth it and also because Ireland would have beaten Brazil.

I understand the original sentiment though. It's hard sometimes to separate the boys in green from the inept association behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

If i remember correctly from watching a documentry about brazil and nike's control over them, they charge $2 million dollars per friendly. They are the harlem globetrotters of the football world.

so when are boardeux clubbing together to get a friendly against them???

joe316 wrote: »
    so when are boardeux clubbing together to get a friendly against them???
    :D:D

Long time waiting for that to happen.

Would Boardsies come to watch I wonder?

SUPPORT YOU LOCAL TEAM :D:D

We were shíte last night though :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    :D:D

Long time waiting for that to happen.

Would Boardsies come to watch I wonder?

SUPPORT YOU LOCAL TEAM :D:D

We were shíte last night though :o:o

That's what happens when you get linked to Ireland job, pressure gets to you. I was surprised there was no option for you in the manager thread. Your odds on betfair have fallen dramatically lately

where do bordeaux play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do I want the FAI to change? Yes
    Do I think Brazil beating us tonight will have any effect? No
    Do I think you should always want your team to win no matter what? No
    Will I be cheering on Ireland tonight? Absolutely.

The FAI is not going to change, get over it. The only people who can really affect change in there is the players and the management themselves. Neither look willing to step up to the plate, and the last one who did sacrifice the team winning to try change the FAI is hated by half the population of Ireland. If Roy Keane couldn't do it, then I honestly don't think anyone could.
    As such, I'll always support the team cause since the other way doesn't help us in the long term anymore than us winning with the crap FAI does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Yes. They only paid them 500,000 the last time they came here and the only reason it was so costly was they were world champions at the time. The figure this time round won't even be 500,000 let alone anywhere near 4million

Boggles wrote: »
    They will make 3 million from gate receipts tonight.

3 - 4 (Brazil) - 1.25 (Gaa) = -2.25 million euro

Your friend is blowing smoke up your arse!

so your the accountant for the fai now ya? first off, they will make about 5 million from tonight, 3. 3 million approx from gate receipts and dont forget hospitality, corporate boxes, tv rights and advertising. also remember, this is a 2 game set up, alot who have bought tickets for tonight, have also bought them for serbia, that is where the money is made up. your 2.25 millions loss is about 3 million wrong my friend, the fai will not lose money on this, but overall, from the 2 games, there not making the fortune that everybody says. brazil could have played anywhere tonight, what way do you entice them to a cold and wet croker? throw an extra million or 2 on to them.

remember, the FAI, under Delaney, know how to make money, what ever about running football.

where do bordeaux play?
    Our next two games are on the next 2 Tuesdays in St Columbas College, near Marlay park, at 21.30.

Are you coming for a look?

I could probably arrange one of the lads to pick you up.

you ever play anywhere closer to home?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol. bitter eircom league "true salt of the earth supporter" fan alert.

The hate for Don Givens is small minded and forgetful.

Bitter? Seems you have an agenda.

you ever play anywhere closer to home?
    Alan, I do enjoy the banter with you on here, but that doesn't actually extend to stalking you in real life.

I have absolutely no idea where "home" is for you :D

• Advertisement

oh yea, sorry forgot! its homerjay who has my address

northside, howth out to fairview would be perfect :)

Must get it off him so I can send you a Xmas card.
    I live Northside too :)

I get a lift every Tuesday.

Come on out man.

to pay a bet i may add, which has been paid online.....

EDIT: this is a classic example of how threads on here get totally off topic.

back on track , Come on you boys in green!

so,who is actually going to this game? i am anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looking forward to it. Must wrap up well.

Anyways, if Brasil do beat us it will be made light of, as 'it is Brasil after all'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Going too. Hopefully we'll see some good stuff from the likes of Robinho and Anderson as they should be able to come out of their shell more I'd imagine with the more high profile players out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    Bitter? Seems you have an agenda.

Me, agenda? No. Plus, I'm not even your problem. I attend a few EL games a year and understand a thing or two about football. So I'm not the type that needs converting.

But, as much as you are bitter about the fact that the EL is small fry in this country - and a meanginless show friendly against Brazil will create more coverage and attention and money than 15 EL matches: you should hold your tongue when it comes to Don Givens.

He may have nothing to do with the EL, but he has busted his ass off for football in this country. As a player who gave 100%; and as a manager who traipses around with a succession of underfunded, underskilled and uncared for U21 teams.

so your the accountant for the fai now ya? first off, they will make about 5 million from tonight, 3. 3 million approx from gate receipts and dont forget hospitality, corporate boxes, tv rights and advertising. also remember, this is a 2 game set up, alot who have bought tickets for tonight, have also bought them for serbia, that is where the money is made up. your 2.25 millions loss is about 3 million wrong my friend, the fai will not lose money on this, but overall, from the 2 games, there not making the fortune that everybody says. brazil could have played anywhere tonight, what way do you entice them to a cold and wet croker? throw an extra million or 2 on to them.

remember, the FAI, under Delaney, know how to make money, what ever about running football.

No but you sure sound like it. You forgot to mention they have to pay other people aswell, like staff???

If Brazil are getting 4 million for tonights match I will eat Eamonn Dunphys Tweed Jacket.

Cold & Wet night, your fogetting most of the Brazilians are used to this considering most of them play there football in Europe.

Your also controdicting yourself, "The FAI know how to make money" - But your saying they will not make a substantial profit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DesF wrote: »
    I hope Brazil win.

did u not draw a line from where u were born and see that Ireland was the closest country to ya? ur supporting system confuses me Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Brazil charge $1m per game.

Much as I don't want to do it..... FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

These type of posts came up around the time of the San Marino game, "aw fuk Stan, Ill be cheering for SM". Childish stuff.

Is the match live online anywhere for free? Cant make it down the pub tonight and this gaff only has poxy old ntl cable (not my descision I can assure you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

For the record, one thing that fundamentally gets on my nerves is Ole Ole barstoolers who wouldnt be caught dead at any Irish game below the senior side giving out that the FAI are 'cashing in' on glamour ties like this.

They need to because people like you cant be relied on to attend any other games and fund the association like every other group of fans do.

No doubt the same guys who want the players in 5 star hotels and first class seats on planes.

Jazzy wrote: »
    did u not draw a line from where u were born and see that Ireland was the closest country to ya? ur supporting system confuses me Des
    Did you forget to turn on your sarcasm radar this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

wheres the best place to park for this tonight, normally wouldnt drive but bringing two smallish kids to it. Coming from kildare direction

joe316 wrote: »
    wheres the best place to park for this tonight, normally wouldnt drive but bringing two smallish kids to it. Coming from kildare direction
    Find a parking place in Dublin CC and walk out to Croker, or else get a bus.

It's about a 15 minute walk from O'Connell St.

All of the streets around Croke Park will need Parking Permits, as is the case on Gah Big Days Out, and other International Soccer and Rugby games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is it on live on any channel?

• Advertisement
Advertisement