Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hope Brazil thrash us...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

cheers des, someone mentioned the old des kelly place in phibsboro, not too familiar with the area, and they are coming from the n3 direction so it probably suits them better to use a more northern place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

zuutroy wrote: »
    Is it on live on any channel?

ART Sport
    NTV Spor
    Polsat Sport Extra
    SI Live 24
    Sky Sports 1 (uk)
    Sport TV2
    SportKlub (Slovenia)
    Sportsmax
    TV Avala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

by the way, i have heard from reliable sources, that the fai will make very little from tonight. they have had to pay a good few million euros(i have heard 4) to get brazil here and are paying the GAA 1.25 million euro. so add up all other expenses and maybe you realise that this game is not about money. The serbia game maybe, but not this. These typs of posts are total crap and anyway, theres already an ireland brazil thread, why couldn you post in that?

Well then there even more of a joke.

Its obvious it's about the money. If it wasn't we should be playin over in Ukraine or Belarus tonight for experience that we need for September and not the FAI just trying to make money where they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

your a true supported so ya? you want your country to get beaten, this sickens me

listen, i dont give 1 f**k about the FAI, i really dont. i only care about 1 thing and 1 thing only, the 11 lads that wear the green on the pitch, representing the country that i was born in. your a disgrace, you really are. take off your anti fai tinted glasses and support your country ffs.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What kind of **** is this? no matter who is in charge of the team, no matter who is in the the starting XI you support your country

have a bit of national pride in you please

im aware of the farce that is the irish football organisation, but i have never once wished defeat on my nation. and i never will

i support my country regardless of any other **** around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't give a flying **** who wins tonight. A 7 all draw would be nice.
    Its a meaningless heap of ****e against a 2nd or 3rd string Brazil side.
    Will be in the upper cusack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

at last people are talking sense on this thread and slowly the number of people that want ireland to win is rising. its a pity that we cant see who voted for brazil :mad: it makes no sense what so ever that an irish person would wish for their team to lose. none what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I hope we get thrashed because i have Brazil backed.
    Simple as that :D

• Advertisement

Theres your reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

kryogen wrote: »
    What kind of **** is this? no matter who is in charge of the team, no matter who is in the the starting XI you support your country

have a bit of national pride in you please

im aware of the farce that is the irish football organisation, but i have never once wished defeat on my nation. and i never will

i support my country regardless of any other **** around it.

I wonder are these sympathies conveyed for the Eurovision too?

Were you cheering on Donna & Joseph a couple of years ago?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i voted Who gives a f&*k anymore? option

still, it would be good fun to see a 17-0 Brazil victory to add yet another entertaining episode to the Merrion Square soap opera :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hoping we lose against Cyprus or San Marino to get rid of a guy that is v lucky to get the assistant managers job at a league one side is kind of understandable, but hoping we get thrashed a few days before we hope to get a good manager to sign on to take us forward is sure idiocy. but thats just my opinion.

*that is unless you have money on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I'm finding it really hard to care at all about this match and I'm a big supporter of the national team.

I'm sure all the people who booed the team 3 months ago will all be singing away and cheering if we score tonight, hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

but hoping we get thrashed a few days before we hope to get a good manager to sign on to take us forward is sure idiocy. but thats just my opinion.

Outcome should really be irrelevant... however, I want us to lose so Givens (especially) don't get his forced moment of fame when he (apparently?) admitted he would have had a manager in by now.

How we play is all important in friendlies. That's why it was crucial to have a new manager in and start to adopt his new team and style of play against good opposition.

Here's a question - if we play superbly tonight (the best in years), should we keep Givens on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I just want our boys to go out there and play somewhere close to the level we see them playing week in week out for their employers, as bad as the management was for the last campaign the players themselves have a lot to answer for still. At least show us that they'll be able to hit the ground running when the new manager arrives. the result is not important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Outcome should really be irrelevant... however,
    How we play is all important in friendlies. That's why it was crucial to have a new manager in and start to adopt his new team and style of play against good opposition.

Here's a question - if we play superbly tonight (the best in years), should we keep Givens on?

Stauntons first game was a 3-0 win over Sweden I believe. It was a good performance and impressive result.

It would of been ideal to have the manager in but not hugely crucial. A good manager would do a solid job regardless imo

There is no focus on the game. People shouting we should support Ireland no matter what, are talking out of their pipe.

We have no manager, we are not blooding anyone, you will learn nothing against the Brazilians except they have better tans and ball skills.

FAI knew they would fill Croke Park, people jump at the chance to see Brazil. It is financial, and if it finances our chances of getting the best manager we can then I am all for it.

So the people with the under-sized opel Jerseys, put your patriotic dicks away, your not fooling anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

whiskeyman wrote: »
    against good opposition.

Hell No and after 3+Months of looking for a manager he has NO chance of getting the job, instead maybe someone like Trapatoni might see us play superb against a qualty team and think maybe he can bring us to the next WC and therefore sign on for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL at this thread. It makes no sense wanting Brazil to win!!!!!!!!!!!! Watching McGeady put on a good performance, or Duff would give me more joy than a brilliant game.

''I HOPE LIVERPOOL LOSE 1 MILLION NIL BECAUSE OF THE YANKS''

Very very dumb.

• Advertisement

excuse me whiskeyman, are we talking about football here or the eurovision? why did you bring that up? you dont have a sufficient counter arguement for my post no? tut tut, for shame......lol

anyways, i love my country, i want to see it do well in everything it attempts, i never want to see us fail...ever...i think you would have been better off just posting a little rant in the game thread itself if you want to see us lose, cause you probably wont find much support for your views here

were you happy we didnt qualify for the EC?

were you delighted to see us get thrashed by cyprus?

no other country in the world has the sam elevel of self begrudgery as this country!

We are the nation of begrudgers, this cannot be refuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I hope none of those fools that show up to Irish internationals to abuse their players and hope they lose will bother to show up tonight and long into the future.
    Would prefer to be in a half empty stadium then to share with half-wits that cant understand that we are a small country and cant expect to qualify for every international tournament.
    C'mon Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bono said it best before on Conan O'Brien:

In America, the common man sees a man, with a great job, living in a mansion on the top of the hill, with a gorgeous car and lovely wife and thinks.......

one day i'm gonna be that guy.

In Ireland, the common man sees a man, with a great job, living in a mansion on the top of a hill, with a gorgeous car and lovely wife and thinks........

one day, i'm gonna beat the ****e outta that guy.

Class Alan, that was actually a ****ing accurate comment from Bono.

Bono = Legend.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Bono said it best before on Conan O'Brien:

In America, the common man sees a man, with a great job, living in a mansion on the top of the hill, with a gorgeous car and lovely wife and thinks.......

one day i'm gonna be that guy.

In Ireland, the common man sees a man, with a great job, living in a mansion on the top of a hill, with a gorgeous car and lovely wife and thinks........

one day, i'm gonna beat the ****e outta that guy.

yep,and its a fundamental problem with this country..something i cant stand!

small country syndrome.

in america and even england, the population is so much bigger that when someone achieves great success, they are looked up to and seen as something to aspire to.

In ireland, in everything from sport to music, to finance, if someone achieves great success, we resent them for it....because we feel by them achieving that success, it diminishes our chances of gaining a similar success because we are such a small nation.

first time doing this on boards, but...... FACT.

were you delighted to see us get thrashed by cyprus?

Nobody was, but that was the catalyst for alarm bells. Our Ex International manager just got a job in the 3rd division as an assistant coach, a job he wasn't even 1st preference for.

Sacrafices have to be made for the bigger picture. People turned against the national setup because they could see the farcical situation it was in.

Irish fans who were hoping Ireland would lose with Stan at the Helm are no less of a fan than the people on this thread shouting about being patriotic, they used foresight, and determined that we were going backwards, if the uproar had not happened, hapless Stan would still be in charge and we would not have the opportunity that exists now of getting in the right people and going forward.

Has anyone seen the crap that is said on After Hours?

''How can someone be proud to be Irish?'' ''Does Nationality mean anything?''

One thing I always liked about Ireland was the pride, the love everyone had for their country. People realise we are NOT Spain, most of us are of Irish blood true and true***im actually not****(unlike France), it is easy for us to have pride.

• Advertisement

your posts read so funny sometimes, out of all the posters on boards, you're the one that makes me LOL the most often :) thanks!

i actually think you might be a comedy genius-honestly
    most of us are of Irish blood true and true(im actually not)(unlike France) it is easy for us to have pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

small country syndrome.

in america and even england, the population is so much bigger that when someone achieves great success, they are looked up to and seen as something to aspire to.

In ireland, in everything from sport to music, to finance, if someone achieves great success, we resent them for it....because we feel by them achieving that success, it diminishes our chances of gaining a similar success because we are such a small nation.

first time doing this on boards, but...... FACT.

What a load of bollocks. Couldn't disagree more with that. You think the English look up and aspire to successful people? Give me a break. They delight in tearing down successful figures. Their American counterparts are no better. They are positively orgasmic about the problems Britney Spears is going through when a decade ago they were lauding her.

In this country if someone does well we don't resent them, we never shut up about them. Look at the girl nominated for an Oscar. Saoirse Ronan is it? She's doing well and now everyone loves her for it.

Small country syndrome? Bullsh*t.

Bitter bastard syndrome would be more accurate but they have them in every country unfortunately.

Boggles wrote: »
    Nobody was, but that was the catalyst for alarm bells. Our Ex International manager just got a job in the 3rd division as an assistant coach, a job he wasn't even 1st preference for.

Sacrafices have to be made for the bigger picture. People turned against the national setup because they could see the farcical situation it was in.

Irish fans who were hoping Ireland would lose with Stan at the Helm are no less of a fan than the people on this thread shouting about being patriotic, they used foresight, and determined that we were going backwards, if the uproar had not happened, hapless Stan would still be in charge and we would not have the opportunity that exists now of getting in the right people and going forward.

that is just bull**** plain and simple, you can support the team and hope for success on the field while airing any grievances about the way something is run or who runs it in other ways.......oh yeah, and if Stan was getting the results on the pitch i would have had no problem with him staying, he wasnt so he went, its the same with all managers, if they succeed they dont get fired (madrid excepted of course) if they fail they get the bullet.........

to hope your own team loses makes you something you should hate

If you were being serious, I guess a cheer would be deserved. I actually have the personality of a dead French man though if the truth was to be told.

What a load of bollocks. Couldn't disagree more with that. You think the English look up and aspire to successful people? Give me a break. They delight in tearing down successful figures. Their American counterparts are no better. They are positively orgasmic about the problems Britney Spears is going through when a decade ago they were lauding her.

In this country if someone does well we don't resent them, we never shut up about them. Look at the girl nominated for an Oscar. Saoirse Ronan is it? She's doing well and now everyone loves her for it.

Small country syndrome? Bullsh*t.

Bitter bastard syndrome would be more accurate but they have them in every country unfortunately.

Yea but look at Bono, Colin Farrell, Glen Hansard, The Thrills, Ronan Keating etc all these people get stick constantly....despite actually being something this country can be proud of. And dont talk about the little girl nominated for an Oscar, who could not be happy for her?! wait till she is mid twenties-thirty-ish and then the claws will be out for her, like we do for EVERYONE who ever achieves any real success.

and wat you are refering to about our american and brittish counterparts is not the common man, its the tabloid media in those countries that are bad..... but walk into any pub in Ireland and say, "ya know i think that Bono lad is a super singer, and does great work for Charity" and 9 out of 10 people will tell you he is a ****ing idiot and proceed to slate him. Same goes for most succesful irish people.

Bitter bastard syndrome it could be called too, but only when then noticing that Ireland has a bit more of a higher population of bitter bastards than most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yea but look at Bono, Colin Farrell, Glen Hansard, The Thrills, Ronan Keating etc all these people get stick constantly....despite actually being something this country can be proud of. And dont talk about the little girl nominated for an Oscar, who could not be happy for her?! wait till she is mid twenties-thirty-ish and then the claws will be out for her, like we do for EVERYONE who ever achieves any real success.

Bitter bastard syndrome it could be called too, but only when then noticing that Ireland has a bit more of a higher population of bitter bastards than most places.

Bono gets stick for coming across as pompous. It's not just Irish people that feel that way. See that episode of South Park? ;) I'm not aware of the others getting as much stick as Bono would but if they do it's probbaly because they come across as arrogant.

I think one of the good things about this country is that we are generally loyal towards those who have been successful. The British took delight in the misfortunes of George Best for instance yet when he was in Ireland he was generally treated well.

The treatment delivered by our neighbours towards their successful figures, for example David Beckham, is quite astonishing and far worse than any criticism I've seen delivered by Irish people towards successful Irish athletes.

I would concede that their is a more 'bitter bastard' attitude creeping in to Irish society but no way is it as bad as what we've seen in England and America, countries with populations far greater than ours.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    and wat you are refering to about our american and brittish counterparts is not the common man, its the tabloid media in those countries that are bad

No it's not it's very much the common man who hates on David Beckham for instance. A guy who helped get them to a World Cup and scored some important goals yet is given huge criticism. Presumably for how successful he is.

that is just bull**** plain and simple, you can support the team and hope for success on the field while airing any grievances about the way something is run or who runs it in other ways.......oh yeah, and if Stan was getting the results on the pitch i would have had no problem with him staying, he wasnt so he went, its the same with all managers, if they succeed they dont get fired (madrid excepted of course) if they fail they get the bullet.........

to hope your own team loses makes you something you should hate

Some of us were intelligent enough to know that success was never going to happen with the farce of Stan. Blindly supporting failure (in the long run) hurts the team far more than booing the national team, how else are the fans supposed to air there grievances?

It's myopic fans like you that accept mediocrity and failure who hurt the international side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Close this stupid thread.Come on Ireland:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Silly thread indeed. Givens is fielding a better selection than Staunton ever did and I'd hate to see us comfortably beaten

• Advertisement
Advertisement