Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of two .308 rifles....

Options
  • 06-02-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

has anyone out there have or ever heard of anybody having two .308win rifles...As i have mentioned in another thread i have a VLS in .308, which i use for mainly stalking with a bit of target thrown in aswell. The problem is that is a bit heavy for stalking, so i was looking at getting something like the Rem 700 XCR Compact Tactical for stalking and 'hoping' to keep the VLS for target, which i plan to get into more this year...I rang the FO at the main station up here in Donegal and he said that each application would be judged on its own merits, but that he felt that if a rifle is fit to do both jobs that it would be unlikely that the super would grant two....:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Mac Tire wrote: »
    has anyone out there have or ever heard of anybody having two .308win rifles...As i have mentioned in another thread i have a VLS in .308, which i use for mainly stalking with a bit of target thrown in aswell. The problem is that is a bit heavy for stalking, so i was looking at getting something like the Rem 700 XCR Compact Tactical for stalking and 'hoping' to keep the VLS for target, which i plan to get into more this year...I rang the FO at the main station up here in Donegal and he said that each application would be judged on its own merits, but that he felt that if a rifle is fit to do both jobs that it would be unlikely that the super would grant two....:(

Yes you can have two rifles of the same calibre, example a .308 sporting for deer stalking and a purpose built .308 for long range target shooting/F class.

But I would say if you are going to apply for a Target rifle you will probably have to be a member of a club that covers the long range disciplines.

If the rifle you have at the moment is up the standard for target, explain you case to your superintendent i.e. about the weight and that you want to get a lighter rifle for the stalking.

They do this type of shooting in the Mid-Lands/Tullamore rifle club / 600 yds.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Cheers Mick,
    what is the standard for F-class?

Cheers Mick,

I don't know to much about F class, I'm at the learning stage myself. I am sure that there is a lot of the lads on boards that will be able to answer your questions about it.

This could start a good thread.

Best of luck.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club
    aka Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

You'd probably be better having 2 calibres, easier to convince the Super that 1 is only suitable for stalking/target

How much are you paying for .308 ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I know the 300m ISSF boys seem to stick with the 6mm Br Norma rather than the .308 which was the calibre of choice some years ago. For F-Class, I'd suspect that you'll have to look at what the manufacturers are providing and work back from there.

Pay a visit to Midalnds and talk to the F-Cass lads there, they'll have all the information you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Cheers Mick,

Hi Mac Tire,

There are different classes with-in F-Class to shoot such as FTR (field target rifle) using .223 or .308 other classes involve the use of calibres such as 6.5x55, 6.5x55 improved, .243 improved, 6.5-284 and 7mm's etc etc. The 6mm Br Norma round is a very expensive round and from what I hear can not be improved on from the factory made rounds.

Check out the NRAI's new website at www.nrai.ie Hope this helps.

thanks for the info guys...
    I have two other questions based on F-class if you can shed any light on the matter....
    Firstly, as for the rifle, can you use anything you want up to 8mm and under the weight limit, for example, if i was to put an adjustable stock and a leupold mark 6.5 - 20 x 50mm LRT M1 or similar on my VLS action in .308 would this be up to scratch (up to the tool behind the tool then :rolleyes: )
    and Secondly, would i def have to be a member of Midlands, its around about 4 hrs one way for me up here...:(.....however the target club that i am involved in, based in Co. Tyrone, have access or an agreement that they can access a military range which can go out to 1000 yards...so my question there would be could i practice away up here and enter comp's down there in Tullamore, or do you need to be a member to enter???
    Thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Mac Tire,

Here is a link to a website that will answer all your questions (hopefully) about F-Class shooting. http://www.dcra.ca/

There are lots of other sites out there, google "fclass" and try them out.

Secondly, no, you dont have to be a member of the Midlands to shoot F-Class but you do have to be a member of a club. Other than that, it's open to all shooters with-in the F-Class rules, that is.

I know it's a hell of a drive for you to the Midlands, but you should make contact with the NRAI and arrange to meet some of the other shooters for a chat and a days shooting. I'll bet you get hooked on it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

well Mac I also went about getting a rifle for target shooting this year and I already own a sako finnlight in 243 cal it my stalking rifle that I’m happy with so this I kept, but its not up to targets so I went shopping and ended up buying a Blazer in 308 but it also came with another barrel in 65x55 cal another fac on top of the 308 I taught threes no way I’m getting this from my FO in the local station, and he did kick up so I asked for a meeting with the super....meeting lasted 30 mines stated my reasons and he signed them there and then so maybe a word with the super is the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

well Mac I also went about getting a rifle for target shooting this year and I already own a sako finnlight in 243 cal it my stalking rifle that I’m happy with so this I kept, but its not up to targets so I went shopping and ended up buying a Blazer in 308 but it also came with another barrel in 65x55 cal another fac on top of the 308 I taught threes no way I’m getting this from my FO in the local station, and he did kick up so I asked for a meeting with the super....meeting lasted 30 mines stated my reasons and he signed them there and then so maybe a word with the super is the way to go
    Yea it pays to ask to talk with super sometimes, does your 308 cert also contain the 6.5 barrel number or do you have to get seperate cert for the 6.5 spare blaser barrel.

Thanks for the info and the links guys...I have met the Super up here before and it all went well and he passed my .22 pistol ( i think i was the youngest in Donegal to get one at 22 when it was passed, but i'm open to correction on that :) )
    il let you know how i get on with it...

Well i finally managed to get the FO in my Local Barracks tonight, i have applied for my second 308, a steyr scout....fingers crossed all goes well and i get to keep my Remington 700 VLS for target...I'l keep you all posted on how it all goes...;)

Well lads and ladies, it is possible to have two 308's :D
    I sent in a wee cover letter stating why i wished to have the two and the use for each, and thanks to the fact that my local super is a real gentleman and open to listen to anything ( within reason, dont think il get a barrret :p) he approved the application.
    It has been sent off to 'Mary in the Park' and if all goes well should have the scout next weekend, just in time as i got my renewal for the Deer Permit last week too.....Oh Happy Days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Congratulations, and well done. :D

As we've seen over and over again, the vast majority of Superintendents are reasonable and approachable people, and if you put a reasonable and logical case to them, they will react in a favourable manner; unfortunately, the seemingly illogical and unreasonable actions of a very few tend to tarnish our view of them all.
    It does us all no harm to be reminded now and again that the vast majority of applications/renewals go through without a hitch every year.

Happy shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You're so spot on Rovi. More than 99 times out of a 100 the scenario is so simple. Reasonable person wants to licence a particular firearm and the local superintendent who nearly all the time happens to be be a reasonable person as well listens to the arguments put forward, maybe puts a few storage and safety issues to bed and grants it.

Anyway, best of luck with the new rifle Mac Tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

thanks for the info guys...
    I have two other questions based on F-class if you can shed any light on the matter....
    Firstly, as for the rifle, can you use anything you want up to 8mm and under the weight limit, for example, if i was to put an adjustable stock and a leupold mark 6.5 - 20 x 50mm LRT M1 or similar on my VLS action in .308 would this be up to scratch (up to the tool behind the tool then :rolleyes: )
    and Secondly, would i def have to be a member of Midlands, its around about 4 hrs one way for me up here...:(.....however the target club that i am involved in, based in Co. Tyrone, have access or an agreement that they can access a military range which can go out to 1000 yards...so my question there would be could i practice away up here and enter comp's down there in Tullamore, or do you need to be a member to enter???
    Thanks again guys

"the target club that i am involved in, based in Co. Tyrone, have access or an agreement that they can access a military range which can go out to 1000 yards".

Mac Tire, if you don't mind what is the name of your club, how did you they get around the insurance liability worries we have in the South for civilian target shooters to get permission to use military ranges?

Advertisement