Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Element Wiring

• 06-02-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just got a new immersion element fitted but need to get it rewired. Is this something that can be easily done DIY style?

I presumed that it would just have to be wired in to our immersion switch (one with the Bath/Sink switch) but after opening this switch I can see that there are already wires connected to the back of it.

Below this switch there is a hole in the wall, about the size of the cable coming from the new immersion element. Does the cable have to be fed through here and on to somewhere else?

I searched online for help on this but there isnt much out there.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I do not mean to be rude but if you do not already know how to do this job I would respectfully suggest that you need to get someone who does given that this piece of equipment will have a lot of amps going through it on full load !

Read the post on this board about the hotpress nearly going on fire to see the point !!

It is not that complicated if you are fully aware of what needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi guys,

Is this something that can be easily done DIY style?

TBH trotter, it's not really a DIY job, its essentially a two way switch with an on and off, its something that would need a higher level of knowledge over and above the standard electrical stuff we advise on here, sorry. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Ok, fair enough, I know what you're saying, have asked the electrician to call back.

I know how to do it myself but the problem was...

We had an electrician in to put a new socket in our hotpress a few weeks back, we were going to use this to run a new shower pump off.

The day after the electrician did this our immersion stopped working and according to the electrician our immersion element had blown, this sounded dodgy as the immersion was working the day before he was there and the house is only 18 months old, I gave him the benefit of the doubt anyway :)

After the plumber had fit the new element I had a look at wiring it myself, I just opened the bath/sink socket to have a look at how complicated it might be. I was expecting to see no wires going into the switch it as the old element had been replaced. By the looks of it the electrician has connected the new socket we asked him to put in into the bath/sink switch. Is this the right way of doing it?

Jebus trotter_inc,

Sockets should not be in a hotpress, sockets should not be wired on the same circuit as an immersion.

If this if the case you need to get it changed ASAP.

Stoner wrote: »
    Jebus trotter_inc,

Sockets should not be in a hotpress, sockets should not be wired on the same circuit as an immersion.

If this if the case you need to get it changed ASAP.

Our plumber who is fitting our new pump shower told me to tell the electrician we needed a new socket in the hotpress to plug in the new pump.

What is the normal or correct way of doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The pump normally goes in the attic where possible afaik.

The pump normally goes in the attic where possible afaik.

yep,

and the pump needs to be RCD protected, it is not a good idea to tap it off the immersion. The pump should be fed from a 13Amp fused switched spur not a socket ( you don't want someone to plug something in there.

It is important to note that these regs now consider the term "where practical" so you may have no options but to put the pump in the hot press.

But the immersion switch and timer need to be outside , the spur for the pump needs to be installed below the airing shelves in the hot press, this usually means about 450mm off the ground.

A lot of sparks tap the pump off the immersion, IMO even tapping of a socket circuit would be better, it is good to avoid balls of cables in a hot press , but a dedicated supply back to the board is a better idea, you can have the immersion and the pump fed from the same RCD protected MCB. Just keep as much as you can "where practical" out of the hot press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Of course you can have sockets in a hotpress as long as they not on the immersion circuit. When you have a pressurised heating system the pumps always end up in hotpress in my expearience.
    Have never heard of a regulation not allowing sockets in hotpresses and anytime my jobs have been inspected there has never been a issue about them.

Why would'nt you want someone plugging into the socket???????

moose112 wrote: »
    Why would'nt you want someone plugging into the socket???????

for the same reason the immersion switch and timers and alarm panels should all not be in there, it's too hot, who knows what someone would plug in there, potential fires etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Titainus

your are probley getting one of these pumps . if its for the shower:
    http://www.aquabrand.com/photo/1298/lg-stuart-turner-monsoon-4-bar-twin-impeller-pump-40-bar-positive-head.jpg

now there fine they dont take much load reguarding electricity. its ok to tap it off the immersion, it is protected by and rcd or at least should be and i would normaly tap them off the immersion if i was fitting one of those pumps "there"
    i would suggest, putting a fused spur there for the pump instead of a socket

the problem is that it shouldn't be in the hot press it should be feeding the shower only . now putting it in the hot press means that it will add more pressure to the house's water system. ive fitted these a few times and a plumber friend of mine told me to only put it on the divise your feeding . in this case a shower .
    reason being, it can damge other systems in the house. for example the ballcock on the water tank in your attic and cistern on the toliet, i would advise you put it only onto the shower if you can ,
    if not. take the chance it may cause damage it may not. i wouldn't risk it personaly

reguarding the immersion. as someone already stated get an electrian to do it. its not as easy as it looks. he'll have to wire it to the correct parts switch. ie. bath and sink. there are 2 elements in that element casing and a thermostat. ive know of good few electricans who ****ed up that: just get a reliable spark,

and just on a side note. its shocking to hear that , that sparks couldn't fit an immersion element and you had to get a plumber to do it. but thats the way or trade is goin . shame really

• Advertisement

Titainus wrote: »

reguarding the immersion. as someone already stated get an electrian to do it. its not as easy as it looks. he'll have to wire it to the correct parts switch. ie. bath and sink. there are 2 elements in that element casing and a thermostat. ive know of good few electricans who ****ed up that: just get a reliable spark,

and just on a side note. its shocking to hear that , that sparks couldn't fit an immersion element and you had to get a plumber to do it. but thats the way or trade is goin . shame really

Yeah, got the electrician to fit it for me, there is still a sh*t lot of wires going in to the back of the immersion switch tho, looks like the new socket is still connected to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

it sounds like an amateur job from the outset..
    its ok to tap off the immersion provided that's rcd protected! you need to know how its done.. ideally a designated supply(overkill) but realistically a spur off a nearby socket circuit. is the hot press upstairs or downstairs?, is it a bungalow?,any socket circuit on exterior adjacent walls...the way it looks to be set up the shower pump will work fine until the immersion kicks in or vice versa.
    no plumber should have to change an immersion provided its plumbed properly in the first place!

Advertisement