Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Don't Irish Football Fans Support Other Countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Tusky wrote: »
    I find this to be fairly silly...

People support foreign clubs for two reasons.

1. They have much more exposure to them from a young age.
    2. They play much much better football than anything our league can offer.
    Someone always says that. :D
    Let's not ever discuss anything any more. People are just brought up kinda doing stuff, (though not too many people grew up with Sunderland posters on their walls).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Thinly disguised "EL vs. The World" rant tbh.

too true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Thinly disguised "EL vs. The World" rant tbh.

yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DesF wrote: »
    *ding ding ding*

Now, here is the ultimate catch 22.

Shíte standard, Oi'm not watching that crap, but I might if it was better.

How the hell can it improve if there is no money being put into the game?

How much of the FAI's take on tonight's game will be put into football at a grassroots level in Ireland?

Yup, it is a catch 22 alright. I have no idea how much of the FAIs $ will be put into grassroot level football but I would guess, not enough.

This thread isn't about EL v Foreign leagues or how the EL can improve though.....right ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So wat if its an EL vs the World rant!?!?!?!?!?!?

DONT READ IT THEN!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So wat if its an EL vs the World rant!?!?!?!?!?!?

DONT READ IT THEN!

apparantly it wasnt tho
    Disclaimer : This is not a pro eL rant, or an anti FAI, or anti foreign football diatribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This thread isn't about EL v Foreign leagues or how the EL can improve though.....right ? ;)
    Some people who can't answer the questions posed have tgrown that accusation around, yes.

Why not answer the points instead of trying to derail the thread people?

Every single LucyLloyd has made has been rebutted fairly well, the points she makes simply don't stand up.

Nobody else is making points, just saying "OHNOES DA elll peepel r rantin agen".

Here, lets go back to the start.

Why not apply the same logic to the support of International Football that you seem to have when choosing what club team to support?

No anti EPL there at all, no eL rant, nothing of the sort.

This "National Pride" thing "I was born here" is a crock of shít, imo.

maybe that was said to keep people from jumping down his throat going....oh stupid thread etc etc etc, if you dont like a thread, dont post in it.

why the EL isnt popular, EL vs PL, or why people support English clubs, or peoples feelings for the national team....... are all very relevant to these boards.

so stop moaning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

They have much more exposure to them from a young age.
    So why are there so many Sunderland fans in Ireland right now?
    They play much much better football than anything our league can offer.
    Please...

The only two teams in England who play decent football are Arsenal and Utd. God knows I've tried to watch the entire 90 minutes of a Liverpool - Chelsea game, but I just can't do it!

Besides, the standard of football played by the national team recently has been pretty appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some people who can't answer the questions posed have tgrown that accusation around, yes.

Every single LucyLloyd has made has been rebutted fairly well, the points she makes simply don't stand up.

Nobody else is making points, just saying "OHNOES DA elll peepel r rantin agen".

Why not apply the same logic to the support of International Football that you seem to have when choosing what club team to support?

:eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Im Irish so follow them

You pick whatever club you want to support

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: :confused:
    Where's the "National Pride" in people pumping money into English and Scottish football ahead of Irish football.

It's a double standard people have.

"Have to support Oirland because Oi'm Oirish, it's National Pride"

Doesn't quite fit with the pouring of money, by fans, into British football in the form of Sky subs, merchandise buying etc etc.

National Pride my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why? Why is local pride not a crock of **** then?

I don't link the Irish Football league with national pride, anymore than I link English football league with English national pride, hell most of Uniteds players aren't English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Where's the "National Pride" in people pumping money into English and Scottish football ahead of Irish football.

It's a double standard people have.

"Have to support Oirland because Oi'm Oirish, it's National Pride"

Doesn't quite fit with the pouring of money, by fans, into British football in the form of Sky subs, merchandise buying etc etc.

National Pride my hole.

No Des read the post again and see what I put in bold

you see i dont think it is a crock of sh!t. i hold my country in higher regard than any club.
    i put money into the national team, my local team and a "foreign" team.

if i was someone knew coming onto this board and reading threads about belittleing people who want to support foreign teams instead of EL teams i know it would make me stronger to go against the grain.
    Lads all these digs at people for not supporting local teams is doing more hindrance than help.seriously.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote:
    because your actual country is more to you then a club.

clubs are clubs regardless of what country they are in. that just donates what league they play in. a national team is your national team because you are irish, english etc.

its not like ppl are born "Shelbournian" (DesF may argue that) but they are born Irish

3rd time now with no response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is a very important sentence for me. IMO you choose your club team to follow (or have it chosen for you by circumstance), but you dont choose your nationality. Circumstance of birth and peer pressure of EVERYONE around you make it very unlikely that anyone would support another nationality then your own.

Jazzy wrote: »
    because your actual country is more to you then a club.
    No it isn't. Not in footballing terms anyway.

I got more joy out of Shelbourne scoring the second equalizing goal in the 2007 Season opener against Kildare County than any other football moment in my life. It beat the Hajduk Split game, the Depor draw and other Euro games.

It sure as hell beat Euro '88 (which I remember), Italia '90, USA '94 and Jap/SK '02.

I absolutely love Shelbourne FC, more than my mother.

The Oirland soccer team does not represent me, my football ethos, and I cannot stand some of the clowns who "support" it.

clubs are clubs regardless of what country they are in. that just donates what league they play in.
    Shelbourne are very much an Irish team. We are from Dublin, which is in Ireland. If Shelbourne was in Beijing, I wouldn't support them (I'd probably be a supporter of another Dublin club :eek::eek:), because I'm from Dublin.

a national team is your national team because you are irish, english etc.
    I didn;t grow up watching a team of Irishmen representing Ireland.
    its not like ppl are born "Shelbournian" (DesF may argue that) but they are born Irish
    No, you are right. My dad never brought me to Tolka Park, nor my Grandfather, uncle or cousin.

Oh and by the way lads.

Do you think I had a magical telly back in the day that showed LoI football or something?

Because this excuse of "I grew up watching ENGLISH TEAM X on tv" is another crock of shít too.

I grew up watching Liverpool with my Dad, he doesn't support LoI either, he's as staunch a scouser as many on here actually.

I don't live in the shadow of Tolka Park either, before you ask, I'm not from Drumcondra, Ballybough or town. I'm from Coolock.

There is one poster on here who travels from a different county to support his LoI team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Huhwah? I said the inclination of Irish people to support Ireland as opposed to other countries is distinct from the issue of supporting club teams in the UK rather than the EL because the Irish team has given them stuff to follow in the past and remains in the same room where the top table in International football is located.

You didn't rebut that point, just attacked it as a sham. You didn't tell me it was not the reason why that support is there.

Secondly, you tried to compare Shelbourne's near miss in Champions league qualifying in July / August 2004 as comparable to Ireland's adventures in the 2002 world cup. And I think I made it fairly clear that was not the case.

The last point I made was about the fact that the Eircom league will never be as big as the english league due to a simple running of the numbers. Look at post # 45.

Ultimately, if Irish people don't do what you want them to tough. But you haven't disproved or invalidated my view sir. In any case, lighten up and enjoy football without waving the finger at all us "unreal" football fans:
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, whatever. The reality is that football's current level of lavishness at the higher level cannot be maintaned with just the fans. In the short to medium term that is. TV has become more important to the biggest clubs as it is that medium which is putting in the majority of the money each year.

There seems to be an invisible threshold which is crossed once clubs get past a certain level. It divides clubs between those who depend on the direct input of fans in terms of gate receipts etc for their viabillity and those monsters who need to keep TV and the sponsors happy first to keep things going and pushing forward. Once that level is reached the fans are no longer considered as priority because:

A) They no longer account for the majority of the revenue;
    B) There is such a massive base of them that you can poke and prod them a fair bit without much in the way of adverse consequences for your bottom line. This is because the vast majority of your fanbase becomes passive and purely there because you win and your brand is cool. That percentage becomes more pronounced the more popular you become.

Now, I know that the likes of you, Gimmick and the other Eircom leaguers realise this. You are too smart not too. And I also know that, as decent and loyal fans of Eircom league clubs you are deep within the grime of the games lower levels - well beneath the threshold where fan input starts becoming less important.

As such, I can understand your resentment for the game as a whole and why you carry this poor unfortunate martyr like attitude into the majority of your posts on this forum. Poor you guys, the real fans get nothing, etc.

Your argument may be won in the longterm when the game eventually comes crashing down because it has extended it's supply line and ground it's basic driving force (passion) into the dust. Problem is that the longterm may be longer than your time on the earth. You fight the good fight all the time on this forum - but you are in the minority in terms of the total number of posters who involve themselves around here. And that is why the game is the way it is - because the majority don't care as much as you do. As much as that sucks, tiresome renditions of the same arguments backed up by the same points won't change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You havent made any point worth responding to. You havent explained why you dont use the same logic to select your club and country?

How come the logic of the Ole is not seen anywhere else in the world?

• Advertisement

You havent made any point worth responding to. You havent explained why you dont use the same logic to select your club and country?

How come the logic of the Ole is not seen anywhere else in the world?
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    IMO you choose your club team to follow (or have it chosen for you by circumstance), but you dont choose your nationality. Circumstance of birth and peer pressure of EVERYONE around you make it very unlikely that anyone would support another nationality then your own.

And it is seen around the world. Fans in every country support other, top class leagues, look at Man U and Liverpools worldwide support, but i bet all these people support their own national team. Sure all the money being flooded into the Premier league is from new TV deals around the world. We're in the same position as pretty much every country who's league isn't in the top tier of leagues

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And it is seen around the world. Fans in every country support other, top class leagues, look at Man U and Liverpools worldwide support, but i bet all these people support their own national team.

I bet all these people take a passing interest in their national leagues aswell.

Which is a far cry from what can be said about Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think its time we all bow down to Des. He is an elite breed of football supporter overload and none of us will ever come close to the passion and commitment that he shows in single handedly crusading in the name of League of Ireland.

I bet all these people take a passing interest in their national leagues aswell.

Which is a far cry from what can be said about Irish people.

I wouldn't be sure about that. Do the masses of Liverpool fans in Norway also follow their local team while organising trips to Anfield in huge numbers? I dunno...

There is one poster on here who travels from a different county to support his LoI team.

that would be me - but you dont hear me singing and dancing in the streets about it.

you see des your arguement above when you were saying "you feel more when shelbourne score than ireland score" is grand for yourself. but not for me.and possibly not the next guy either.
    being born in ireland is a good enough reason for me to support my national team - but it doesnt seem to be for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

the answer is simple for me. Theres no soccer team near me....so why should i choose to support a team in a crappy league over an hour away from me when i can support liverppol on stage with some of the best players in the world. And im a passionate liverpool fan no sunny day muck.

Actually this whole thread is really stupid to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

joe123 wrote: »
    the answer is simple for me. Theres no soccer team near me....so why should i choose to support a team in a crappy league over an hour away from me when i can support liverppol on stage with some of the best players in the world. And im a passionate liverpool fan no sunny day muck.

Actually this whole thread is really stupid to be honest.

Because it's relatively easy and cheap to travel that distance and watch live football every second game of the season.

I'm from Coolock.

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hard!:eek:

Because it's relatively easy and cheap to travel that distance and watch live football every second game of the season.

but if that's a reason, then why do people like yourself take up this consumer argument? Afterall you are picking something cheap and easy to get access to, seems very consumer ish to me.

It's almost like everyone has double standards......:eek::rolleyes:

So he should go to genuine hassle to go to watch a game with a team playing that he has no reason to have an interest in other then that they exist?

• Advertisement

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hard!:eek:
    Yeah, and if you all don't start supporting an LoI team, I'm going to come round to yizzer gaffs with me mates, and kill yiz.

Right?

Everyone does have double standards.

If i went to an EL game tomorrow, abandoned "the scouse" and started to follow solely and EL team, EL fans would then proceed to gimme stick about being a fair weather supporter/band wagon jumper, not as a good a fan as those who'd been following the team years and years. GAA fans give EL fans stick for following a foreign sport. EL fans give PL fans stick for supporting a foreign league....and on and on and on and on.

The sad thing, the thing that the EL seems to strive for and really want, is to be successful, but if it ever is......it will be the death of the game you people love. The atmosphere will turn ****.

My advice to the EL supporters, is to be thankful that your game is still pure and full of fans who really care about the team and the football, and not just people who want a day trip....trying to win back football fans from Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal etc means you will get much higher attendences, but the quality of fan will diminish greatly.

95% of fans who travel over to England to watch football are bellends. EL is better off without them.

joe123 wrote: »

so presumably the Irish side dont play near you either. and the LoI has a higher ranking than they do, and apparently its 'crappy'. so why bother supporting them? You see where this is going?

follow liverpool if you want, but don't expect to be taken seriously here or there.

Yeah, and if you all don't start supporting an LoI team, I'm going to come round to yizzer gaffs with me mates, and kill yiz.

Is that not my line as a Rovers fan? ;)

so presumably the Irish side dont play near you either. and the LoI has a higher ranking than they do, and apparently its 'crappy'. so why bother supporting them? You see where this is going?

follow liverpool if you want, but don't expect to be taken seriously here or there.

In all fairness, Ireland is all around him. He's Irish. The club an hour up the road have nought to do with him. Whats your point?

People will support the teams they do for hundreds of reasons all under different circumstances. Its far more common for club teams to be very varied, but unless your very willing to go strongly against the grain, you will end up supporting the national team from childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is that not my line as a Rovers fan? ;)

No, no we'll rob yiz!

OhNoYouDidnt-being a bad fan, is about ones state of mind and not their location.

Everyone does have double standards.
    No, I don't.
    If i went to an EL game tomorrow,
    I would collapse with shock.
    abandoned "the scouse" and started to follow solely and EL team, EL fans would then proceed to gimme stick about being a fair weather supporter/band wagon jumper, not as a good a fan as those who'd been following the team years and years.
    Have you tried it?

That doesn't happen in my experience. Anyone I've brought to Tolka has been welcomed with open arms, and encouraged to come back.

Look, nobody is going to go to one game and fall in love. I didn't. It's a gradual thing. Like an infection.

GAA fans give EL fans stick for following a foreign sport. EL fans give PL fans stick for supporting a foreign league....and on and on and on and on.
    and on and on and on.
    The sad thing, the thing that the EL seems to strive for and really want, is to be successful, but if it ever is......it will be the death of the game you people love. The atmosphere will turn ****.
    I want more people to come to games. I want more than 5-800 at matches every weekend.

But I'm not the one to convince people. I'm no marketing guru. As my posts will verify :)

My advice to the EL supporters, is to be thankful that your game is still pure and full of fans who really care about the team and the football, and not just people who want a day trip
    Yeah, I can kind of see your point.

You'd prefer if Liverpool were in League1 with two thousand loyal fans, or fifth in the Premierleague and competing in the CL regularly with two hundred thousand day trippers though?

....trying to win back football fans from Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal etc means you will get much higher attendences, but the quality of fan will diminish greatly.
    Quality schmality.

I'd rather Shels were in the CL every year with twenty thousand hat wearing goons at the games, than struggling to attract five hundred fans to a match in a boggy Tolka, any day of the week.
    95% of fans who travel over to England to watch football are bellends. EL is better off without them.
    No it isn't.

EL is on it's knees without them.

so and the LoI has a higher ranking than they do, and apparently its 'crappy'. so why bother supporting them? You see where this is going?

:D

What a badly constructed point

You are presuming that the difference in 1 position to the other is the same on both rankings. Italy, Spain and England have the best domestic leagues in terms of quality. The gap to the 4th best league in the world is big.

The gap between the 3rd best national team in the rankings compared to 4th is not that big.

International football is far more balanced that the leagues are.

Jesus this forum baffles me at times but that takes the biscuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

This thread does not make much sense to me, to me supporting your country and a club are 2 completly seperate things.

Why do I support my country -
    I was born here (national pride)

Why do I support Liverpool -
    I was brought up supporting Liverpool, my Dad supported them and I followed them from a young age. I have no ties to Liverpool in the same way that I have no ties to any LOI club.

So why would I support my country is pretty obvious and I don't have any LOI club to support so I can support any club.

So why would someone who can choose a club choose one from the EPL rather than the LOI? The standard in the LOI is piss poor, how many LOI players are even good enough to get a game for Ireland (which you have said are of a poor standard)?

This thread is just aimed at looking down on people who support EPL clubs as opposed to LOI (like assuming they have more of a true interest in football than people who support EPL teams).
    I have played club football for around 10 years and play alot of 5 a side as well so just because I choose to support an EPL team does not mean I lack either an interest in or knowlege of the game. This is what I believe this thread is getting at (mentions of fair weather and bandwagon coming to mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Most Blue Square teams have higher attendences than eL clubs

The BS Conference gets more publicity in IRELAND than the EL through Setanta. The EL gets an odd live game on RTE and an hour per week show, Monday nights on TV3. There's part of the problem, they couldn't organize a piss up in a pub.

Unearthly wrote: »
    :D

What a badly constructed point

You are presuming that the difference in 1 position to the other is the same on both rankings. Italy, Spain and England have the best domestic leagues in terms of quality. The gap to the 4th best league in the world is big.

The gap between the 3rd best national team in the rankings compared to 4th is not that big.

International football is far more balanced that the leagues are.

Jesus this forum baffles me at times but that takes the biscuit.

Let me reconstruct it then:

"why do you follow a foreign side and ignore your domestic game?"

"because the foreign team are great and my local league is rubbish"

"but your local league is rated higher than your national team in the UEFA rankings, so using the quality argument, why not then support a better national team"

or

"my local professional side is too far away, so I follow Liverpool"

Its inane stuff, sometimes I wonder do you Ole's even listen to yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When Derry went on there Uefa cup run in 2006 that created a good buzz up here

Let me reconstruct it then:

"because the foreign team are great and my local league is rubbish"

"but your local league is rated higher than your national team in the UEFA rankings, so using the quality argument, why not then support a better national team"

eh what? Did you not read the post you quoted? :confused:

Seriously?

Right then if the LOI is better quality than the national team, then why does hardly any players get picked from the LOI then? Oh let me guess ignorance on part of the management. That must be it, fifa say otherwise

"my local professional side is too far away, so I follow Liverpool"

Its inane stuff, sometimes I wonder do you Ole's even listen to yourselves

See this si where the quality comes in, but I guess you fail to understand that simple point so no surprise it is lost on you.

Funny thing is you always act smug like you are an elitest but lack the requirements up north to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Very interesting question. But you never know, when we start losing to teams like San Marino and drop down to like 100th in the FIFA rankings, I'm sure there will be some going off to support Scotland (at least it would make use of their Sell Thick jerseys).

• Advertisement

No, I don't.

Yes you do.
    You said somewhere earlier, you stopped supporting the national team and gave the reasons for that decision. One of the reasons was the clowns who attend Irish national games, these are the same people you are hoping will start following the EL. Double standard.

I would collapse with shock.

I'll go to a weekday evening kick off Shels game when the season starts up again. (i know its not the EL) PM me sometime when you're stuck for someone to go with and I'll tag along.
    You'd prefer if Liverpool were in League1 with two thousand loyal fans, or fifth in the Premierleague and competing in the CL regularly with two hundred thousand day trippers though?

At this moment in time, i think if Liverpool were to miss out the CL for a few years, and it meant that we would get rid of a lot of our ****e fans who have no idea wat it means to support Liverpool.....Yes i think that would be something of a blessing in disguise (you know from my PM the other day,that i aint just saying that now to counteract your point)
    EL is on it's knees without them.

I feel sorry for you, i honestly do.

But a lot of local people in Liverpool and other clubs in the UK will tell you that their clubs traditions are, at this stage damaged beyond repair by daytripping culture, and quality of fans that it can attract, that has infected their clubs. All i am saying is that be careful wat you wish for.

Very interesting question. But you never know, when we start losing to teams like San Marino and drop down to like 100th in the FIFA rankings, I'm sure there will be some going off to support Scotland (at least it would make use of their Sell Thick jerseys).

Yet another bland, broken record poster on Boards.ie :(

Voltwad wrote: »
    The BS Conference gets more publicity in IRELAND than the EL through Setanta. The EL gets an odd live game on RTE and an hour per week show, Monday nights on TV3. There's part of the problem, they couldn't organize a piss up in a pub.

:rolleyes:

No it's the Irish media, go open the Sunday Tribune on a Sunday morning and see the coverage on the LoI.:mad:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yet another bland, broken record poster on Boards.ie :(

And 100% proud of it.

Yet another Olé Olé Brigade member on boards.ie:rolleyes:

And 100% proud of it.

Yet another Olé Olé Brigade member on boards.ie:rolleyes:

No you see I never wore a leprechaun costume. That's your definitions right? So you are wrong.

You are bland and a broken record, as you do nothing but make the same post. It's even more boring that it's a load of horse**** to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement