Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Meath. Grrrrr.

• 06-02-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭

I've bitched about this in a few other forums as well, but I though it would be an idea to get people's opinions on the roads in Meath, and the job the council are doing to maintain them.

The reason I do this is because I really have a bee in my bonnet as I have got 4 punctures over the past week. Most people I know that traverse our roads on a daily basis can tell the same thing, and replacing wheels is becoming as common as paying your quarterly road tax. I was highly annoyed this time round, not because of the cost (which builds up after a while) but because of the inconvenience. My latest one was on the coldest night last week on my way to visit a sick relative in hospital. Having changed the tyre, my hands were so cold I couldn't feel them for an hour.
    The next night, I slowed to about 15kmph to pass a car further up the same road (which is necessary as the muck has built up on the road to that level where its essentially only one lane wide), and the muck verge at the side began to collapse and my car almost fell of the road.
    I understand that some roads are being replaced (although how the roadworks are handled is sometimes laughable), but the ones that are not are in conditions that could quite easily cause a serious accident.
    I saw one pothole in particular (picture attached) which I felt was worthy of note. And remember that this particular one is actually only of a sequence of about 12 similar sized ones on the same road. To give an idea of scale, the black and white object in the corner is a CD cover and this pothole covers one entire half of the road. Even construction vehicles slow down and go around these.

So does anyone else thinks that this is beyond a joke? What is the best way of convincing the councils that these roads need to be maintained?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You can claim from the county council for damages if you have photographic evidence and reciepts to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That one in the photo could easily be any of the many on the road just outside my house. Walking home today I had to step into one to avoid being run over, the muddy water in it made it look fairly shallow, but it was about half a foot deep so I got drenched.

The council's idea of mending the roads is a joke. Throw a bit of gravel in it it'll be grand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

my road has to be the worse its a stretch of about 2 miles and it has over 30 potholes on it, most of them way deeper than the one in your picture, theres a part of the road where everybody has to stop and crawl at < 5mph over it because you cant get past it without goin into potholes that are atleast 5 inches deep, might be able to get pictures when the evening light stretches out a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

move to NI or the UK.... they have much better roads !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rimshott

I threatened to take the meath co.co to the small claims court for two punctures, 2 cracked alloys and a broken track rod end i recevied while hitting a pot hole (crater) at 60 mph.
    Now i recevied 2 punctures :mad:, so i had to call on the closest house for help.
    The resident informed me that he had notified the co.co 2 weeks previous about the pot hole in question.
    But they neglected to fill it in. The man promised to swear in court that he made this call. (he was sick to the back teeth of the state of the road).

Firstly there was no sign in place to warn of the hazard, secondly it was their responsibility for the up keep of the road. (Lucky i wasn't killed).
    I took a photo of the pot hole and sent it in to the co.co with receipts for repairs and replacement of alloys and tyres, along with the residents statement and also my intent for claims.

Hey presto the hole was filled in immediatly.
    And they covered full costs of damages with an apology.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Wheaven

The council's idea of mending the roads is a joke. Throw a bit of gravel in it it'll be grand :rolleyes:

I second this, within a few days with a combination of rain and cars/ trucks, it is washed away.

This filling and patching is just a waste of time

Advertisement