Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chances of getting into the cadets

• 06-02-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭

Im planning on applying for the cadets after i graduate from college... what would be my chances of getting in with a college degree and being certified in scuba diving and sky diving as well as first aid and life saving.. as well as many other things. Being good but not great at sports.. and assuming i dont mess up the interview... Would all this be seen as a benefit?... can ye suggest anything else that would help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

**** that stuff could get you into the Rangers as a Combat Diver, Para course.

THat is a Great CV for the Army. Dont say you are Great at sports but do say you LOVE sports.

But really some good quals there.

I dont know your chances but your degree gets you 10% more points anyway in the final interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Thanks.. any idea how the points things work like is there a set list.. i no u get extra points for being in the RDF.. Any idea what else they give extra points for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

ya that would be handy seing as ive an interview next Monday for general service... whats a 22year old with an electronics/telecommunications diploma and fluent in Spanish have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

twinytwo wrote: »
    Thanks.. any idea how the points things work like is there a set list.. i no u get extra points for being in the RDF.. Any idea what else they give extra points for

No you wont get any extra points for being in the RDF. Its an Either/Or situation. You can take the points for the Degree or the points for the RDF but the Degree points are higher so you will use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

No you wont get any extra points for being in the RDF. Its an Either/Or situation. You can take the points for the Degree or the points for the RDF but the Degree points are higher so you will use them.

Although I am told you will still benifit from being in the RDF.

They'll look more favorable on you or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It helps in that you've got some idea what's expected. Basically what the officers and NCOs at the curragh were saying last year was that it will give you some insight into what life in the army is like, but not much insight into what life as a cadet is like.

It also shows motivation because you're willing to go and find out first hand what camps are like, the sort of training that is done. It shows that you can work well in a team (or not**) and as you move up through the ranks it gives you experience in leadership and more responsibility.

** If you want the extra marks for being in the RDF your CO will have to fill out a form rating you on the basis of attendance, commitment, ability etc etc etc so if you've been slacking off and are there purely to get the marks it won't look great. You do actually have to commit to it or it will go against you.

Advertisement