Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

english comparative study

• 06-02-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

What do you have to do for this??We havent really done anything about it in school...Do you just compare two of the texts you have studied??Can you not use the text you used in the the stand alone text??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

What year are you in? Your teacher should cover it.

You compare 2 or 3 texts, which can't be the stand-alone text.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

We're not starting it til next year. We're doing The Crucible, Regeneration and The Third Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

You basically just study the three texts, and write in and around 5 pages on one key similarity.

For example my texts were - The truman Show, Philidelphia here I come and How many miles to babylon. the common theme was Isolation, and we found similar situations within the texts and compared them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Hmm.. well I have just started doing mine and it is kind of tricky because you have to have real control over your writing..my teach says it should be discursive and focused. Compare all similarities and differences under as many points as you can that fit into one heading such as literary genre , how the theme is presented/treated, what you learn from the theme and a few others... some of my friends hand up 14 and a bit pages ( cracked) but i would say around 5-7.. it requires a very sort of scientific and really controlled kind of style i think? Just dont get carried away with telling the plot rather than comparing all 3 texts..yikes, i'd say i've just confused you even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

14? Holy jesus. That's insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

aye..indeed. They did badly too. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Comparing the texts is what you do. When comparing, make sure you look for similarities AND differences.

Look out for key points such as:
    • Society
    • Parents
    • Beginning
    • Developments
    • Characters
    • Ending
    • Events

Then you make the comparison. For example, one of my texts is "PHIC!" while my film is "Strictly Ballroom (Baz Luhrmann)" so if I choose "society" to compare.

Similar to "Strictly Ballroom", the society in Ballybeg plays a key role in destroying the love between Gar and Katie Doogan. They live in a 1960's society where people are expected to marry into their correct social class. "I've arranged Katie to marry Francis King" (or whatever) While in Strictly Ballroom, this is also evident. Scott Hastings and Fran's love is broken as in this 1970's australian society, Scott is supposed to dance with someone who is in the same class of dancing he is. "A beginner has no right to approach an open pro." Fran and Gar's relationships are comparably broken because they are both in different social classes than their partners.

So you use linking words (in bold). Link the texts, give a reason and quote.

Just an idea of what you should be saying. However, you'll be using much better english than I am. :<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I know 0 quotes for my comparative. I assumed they were not necessary.
    I guess I'll find out when the mocks results come in...

Advertisement