Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade my hack or buy a new shiny toy

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have a four year old mtb hack, which has served me well. I put slicks on it last year and it transformed the thing.

However, it's at the stage where I need to replace the chain and front and rear cogs. Then just last week part of the front brake lever assembly gave up the ghost.

I reckon I'm looking at about €80 to replace/fix everything, but I'm also wondering what's going to go next, and will I end up pouring money into the thing. The bike only cost €300 in the first place.

Is it worth fixing or should I spend the cash on something new and shiny?

Also, if I replace it, I'm seriously considering a fixie as it suits my needs well, and my mate who's a courier raves about them, but I like to go on longer rides at the weekend, and don't know if a ss/fg bike is ideal for that. I'd consider getting a road bike or a hybrid.

What do people reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

ah no, any MTB frame is a good basis for a fixer upper. You could consider doing a respray in powdercoat (www.qualitypowdercoating.ie) and getting some new, lighter wheels off ebay. Do you have disc mounts? The list of possibilities is endless, including ss/fixie. Its a great opportunity to make it into the bike you want, and all the satisfaction of having a unique machine.

Here's an example of a fixie based on an MTB from Condor.

You could also put road wheels on the frame if considering a fixie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

munkee wrote: »
    Also, if I replace it, I'm seriously considering a fixie as it suits my needs well, and my mate who's a courier raves about them, but I like to go on longer rides at the weekend, and don't know if a ss/fg bike is ideal for that. I'd consider getting a road bike or a hybrid.

What do people reckon?

Here's the story of someone who did Paris-Brest-Paris on a fixie

http://sheldonbrown.com/pbp-emily-obrien.html

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

@Itsfixed:
    Hmm..interesting, I would consider working with what I have.

To do that I would either convert to a fixie or put a higher gear ratio on it. The current ratio maxes at 48 x 16, which converts to about 78 gear inches on mtb wheels. I find this limits my top speed too much, although I realise spinning is supposed to be good technique. I'd like to spin in a higher ratio though :)

The other problem with the bike is that it has front suspension, which I hate but I bought it before I knew better. I guess I could swap the forks out.

Ultimately though, I'd have to find someone to do the work for me, as I don't have tons of time and I need the bike every day. If I had more time I would have a stab at it myself. Anyway, I could give Square Wheel a bell and see what they'd charge.

If I were buying a bike right now, I'd be going for a road bike, either single-speed or geared. I had a drool at lunch today in Cyclelogical at both the Kona Paddywagon and the Trek 1.2 (I think). I don't really have the budget for either, but I could pick up something used perhaps.

@penexpers:
    Interesting link on that mammoth fixie ride..I guess they are possible :) I'd have thought it'd be hard to find a ratio that works in town and on longer rides, but in that article she's running 42 x 16 which is what most of the off the peg single speeds seem to be sold with. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You won't be able to convert your bike to a fixed wheel since it won't have track ends. This means you won't be able to tension the chain properly*.

You could convert it to a single speed with the use of a chain tensioner. This would result in a much lighter bike if you also get rid of the fork.

Changing to a rigid fork would be very easy and cheap - you could get one second had for almost nothing.

* OK, there's a slim chance the frame will have a chainstay length that allows you to run a useful gear ratio but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

does a tutorial exist on transforming a MTB with FS to a single speed bike?

i would seriously consider repainting/powdercoating etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

one bike is NEVER enough. so get a new one and then think of what you want to do with the old.

you could get a geared road bike and then go s/s on the mtb? fixed will be a problem unless you have horizontal drop-outs at the back, but with an eccentric hub it's doable (if a bit pricey).
    or buy a fixie and turn the mtb into a rigid hybrid of some sort?

what i'm saying is no bike can do it all, so get several; they're not that expensive if you go second hand and are prepared to do a little work on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Besides, the senseless accumulation of a gigantic stockpile of bikes is a worthwhile end in itself.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    one bike is NEVER enough. so get a new one and then think of what you want to do with the old.

you could get a geared road bike and then go s/s on the mtb? fixed will be a problem unless you have horizontal drop-outs at the back, but with an eccentric hub it's doable (if a bit pricey).
    or buy a fixie and turn the mtb into a rigid hybrid of some sort?

what i'm saying is no bike can do it all, so get several; they're not that expensive if you go second hand and are prepared to do a little work on them.

Besides, the senseless accumulation of a gigantic stockpile of bikes is a worthwhile end in itself.

he who dies with the most toys.... wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You mean you follow the ancient Law of the Clown too?
    he who dies with the most toys.... wins.

ba wrote: »
    does a tutorial exist on transforming a MTB with FS to a single speed bike?

i would seriously consider repainting/powdercoating etc.

Yes, http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Ok well a bit of time is what you do need to fix up a bike or fix it, as the case may be.

Maybe fixing an suspended MTB is probably not the way to go, on second thoughts. Most cost effective probably to convert it to a simple, rigid-forked commuter with a single front chainring and a standard 9 gear set up at the back? Easy job - you could do it over a weekend.

And then save up for a nice new fixie!

Yes, you simply can;t have enough bikes.

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Most cost effective probably to convert it to a simple, rigid-forked commuter with a single front chainring and a standard 9 gear set up at the back? Easy job - you could do it over a weekend.

Hmm..okay, forgive my ignorance here, but could I do this and get a highish chainring on the front, around 50 teeth, and a set at the back that would give me similar ratios to the upper end of what you find on a road bike? The standard highest mtb/hybrid ratio of 48x16 is too low for what I want.

On the multiple bikes thing, I've barely room for one bike, let alone a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most hybrids will go lower than 16 at the back. You can get as high as 52-11. Also bear in mind the wheel size makes the effective ratio higher. TBH I reckon there is a time that you should just give up and get something new, you could spend more fixing it up ultimately than it would cost you to get something completely different.

From what you have said so far I would look at a second hand entry-level road bike. As for fixies and long cycles at the weekends, that may depend on whether you tend to go up mountains or not.

blorg wrote: »
    From what you have said so far I would look at a second hand entry-level road bike. As for fixies and long cycles at the weekends, that may depend on whether you tend to go up mountains or not.

I have reached the following decision- I want something fast and light, so that steers me towards a road bike (with drop bars for the variety of riding positions).

I'm still trying to decide between a fixed gear or a standard road bike. As this will be my daily means of travel, as well as for weekend jaunts, I want it to be relatively robust and low maintenance. I know a single speed would be ideal for this, but I like the versatility gears would give me for longer rides at the weekend. So I ain't ruled out the fixie option, but am leaning slightly towards a road bike.

Which brings me to my question:
    Would a geared road bike stand up to the stop and start of town riding, as well as crap roads and weather?

My daily commute is a four mile round trip, right through the city centre. Maybe it's plain foolishness, but I've always thought using a road bike in the city, day in, day out, would be kind of cruel and would wreck the thing.

Options I've considered are the Trek 1.2 and Specialized Allez. I'd also consider buying a second-hand road bike if I can find a half-decent one.

Cheers for all the advice so far.

A road bike would be fine for around town, it's not going to shatter when it hits the first pothole. Like you say, it'll be better than a fixed wheel for your weekend spins.

Consider a bike from Giant and Lapierre too (both available in the Cycle Superstore).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I have reached the following decision- I want something fast and light, so that steers me towards a road bike (with drop bars for the variety of riding positions).

I'm still trying to decide between a fixed gear or a standard road bike. As this will be my daily means of travel, as well as for weekend jaunts, I want it to be relatively robust and low maintenance. I know a single speed would be ideal for this, but I like the versatility gears would give me for longer rides at the weekend. So I ain't ruled out the fixie option, but am leaning slightly towards a road bike.

Which brings me to my question:
    Would a geared road bike stand up to the stop and start of town riding, as well as crap roads and weather?

My daily commute is a four mile round trip, right through the city centre. Maybe it's plain foolishness, but I've always thought using a road bike in the city, day in, day out, would be kind of cruel and would wreck the thing.

Options I've considered are the Trek 1.2 and Specialized Allez. I'd also consider buying a second-hand road bike if I can find a half-decent one.

Cheers for all the advice so far.

I'd definitely, 100% tell you to go for the Kona Paddywagon... it's (relatively) light, has drops, is plenty nimble, and you can have it fixed or singlespeed (flip-flop hub), and change in minutes from one to the other.

I have one and use it everyday for going round town and commuting (from the city centre to Mulhudart), and am using it to train for the Wicklow 200 over the weekends (long trips up the mountains)... the perfect bike!

-I'd also look at the Giant Bowery though if your budget is tighter... Commuting Solutions in Rathmines have 'em

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

d am using it to train for the Wicklow 200 over the weekends (long trips up the mountains).

How're you getting on up the mountains with the Paddywagon?

el tonto wrote: »
    How're you getting on up the mountains with the Paddywagon?

Not tried anything too bad yet, but it's grand getting up to Enniskerry via Stepaside and Kilternan, not tried heading up to Sally Gap yet, but maybe tomorrow :)

So far though, I reckon I could make it round on the SS side (maybe walking up the steepest parts), but I think I'll get something shiny with gears for the day itself

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

..not tried heading up to Sally Gap yet, but maybe tomorrow :)

Might see you on the Sally Gap so tomorrow, but I'll probably be coming over the other side. We're thinking of going up Bohernabreena and going over the Sally from the Kilbride side.

el tonto wrote: »
    Might see you on the Sally Gap so tomorrow, but I'll probably be coming over the other side. We're thinking of going up Bohernabreena and going over the Sally from the Kilbride side.

Well, I'll be the fat b**tard on the Paddy Wagon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

All that carbon fiber and gear stuff is just marketing. Fausto Coppi won the Giro d’Italia like six times in the ‘70s on a fixed-gear bike, and I think people want to get back to that simplicity. It’s like a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike.

flickerx wrote: »
    All that carbon fiber and gear stuff is just marketing. Fausto Coppi won the Giro d’Italia like six times in the ‘70s on a fixed-gear bike, and I think people want to get back to that simplicity. It’s like a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike.

That's quite an achievement, seeing as he died in 1960 ;). Nobody would win a modern Grand Tour on a fixed gear. It's not marketing - it's speed.

see now that was a very silly thing to say. now you're going to have to explain your little in-joke to people who don't read the same blogs as you, and comedy does not stand up to explanation, ever.

i got it though.

What's that on Coppi's bike. Not a derailleur surely? As far as I can recall he won most of his five (not six) Giro's using a Campagnolo Gran Sport setup.

Morgan wrote: »
    A road bike would be fine for around town, it's not going to shatter when it hits the first pothole. Like you say, it'll be better than a fixed wheel for your weekend spins. Consider a bike from Giant and Lapierre too (both available in the Cycle Superstore)

I was more thinking of how hard it would be in terms of wear on the chain and cogs, all that stop start in town and crud being thrown up.
    Cheers for the tip on the road-bikes to check.
    I'd definitely, 100% tell you to go for the Kona Paddywagon... it's (relatively) light, has drops, is plenty nimble, and you can have it fixed or singlespeed (flip-flop hub), and change in minutes from one to the other.
    I have one and use it everyday for going round town and commuting (from the city centre to Mulhudart), and am using it to train for the Wicklow 200 over the weekends (long trips up the mountains)... the perfect bike!

Hmm..interesting indeed. Town to Mulhuddart is a decent trek.

Is the top speed in the standard ratio on the PW decent enough without mentalist spinning?

I'm going to take a closer look at the PaddyWagon and the road-bikes on offer around the same price, LaPierre, Giant, Trek, Specialized.
    Very interested in any other owners' opinions.

(I would have totally fallen for that Coppi in-joke btw)

Is the top speed in the standard ratio on the PW decent enough without mentalist spinning?

I can comfortably get it to 30Kph without it being mental on the legs, and on bursts can get 35-37, but your legs are going fairly fast!

Just did a ton up around Enniskerry, Bray, and even out to Dunboyne today... shade over 4 hrs, average speed of 24.8Kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

now you're going to have to explain your little in-joke to people who don't read the same blogs as you, and comedy does not stand up to explanation, ever.

i got it though.

:D:D:D:D:D

I never read that blog before someone else posted it up here actually.

:D:D:D:D:D

I never read that blog before someone else posted it up here actually.

Found the blog. Like the commentary on the Craigslist ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's also flat as a pancake, good route for a fixie. Wicklow mountains not so good.

Advertisement