Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis-categorised?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I would suggest that the christianity/muslim/spirituality etc.. forums should be reclassified as a subsection of the paranormal forum or alternatively a new category created called Superstition incorporating all of the above.

Ouija boards, mediums, ghosts and goblins, are any of these notions any less credible than walking on water, zombie jews or vengeful gods?

I argue with people on the paranormal forum from time to time because I find a lot of what's posted there to be preposterous, but no less so than the nonsense spouted by the christian/muslim cult members.

Lump them all in together! Spare me the extra clicking.

I thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was going to lock this, but maybe we'll leave it open on the grounds of mild humour - rather than usefulness...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dades wrote: »
    I was going to lock this, but maybe we'll leave it open on the grounds of mild humour - rather than usefulness...
    Well on a related subject, I wonder when / if Universities will drop, rename or rebrand Theology degrees.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What humour? He's dead right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Why? Don't tell me you are going to be one of these anal atheists that want to do away with people using "Jesus!", "God almighty!" or "By Jove!" as exclamations...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Oh, I'm always swearing, but that's my mothers fault for brainwashing me.
    Jesus, mary and holy st. joseph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Talk about damning with faint praise...

Although my 'mild humour' might be distracting, I'm making a serious point. Why are these things treated as separate issues? All of these beliefs have something in common, i.e. people are willing to believe in them without a jot of verifiable, testable proof, so why are they not all in the same parent category?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't tell me you are going to be one of these anal atheists that want to do away with people using "*****!", "*** almighty!" or "By ****!" as exclamations...
    Dunno what gives you that impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

mossieh wrote: »
    Talk about damning with faint praise...

Although my 'mild humour' might be distracting, I'm making a serious point. Why are these things treated as separate issues? All of these beliefs have something in common, i.e. people are willing to believe in them without a jot of verifiable, testable proof, so why are they not all in the same parent category?

But they are under Religion and Spirituality? Surely that is enough? In fact, by your reasoning, this Atheism and Agnostism board should not be lumped under this section at all? Maybe it should be moved under the Education section, considering how closet atheiests/curious believers in religion may go to be reconditioned?:)

But they are under Religion and Spirituality? Surely that is enough?

My point is that whatever you want to call it, the paranormal forum should be included as having similar characteristics and validity (from my point of view).
    In fact, by your reasoning, this Atheism and Agnostism board should not be lumped under this section at all? Maybe it should be moved under the Education section, considering how closet atheiests/curious believers in religion may go to be reconditioned?:)

Fine by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Was actually just thinking about that earlier - how ironic that the athiest forum is under religion and spirituality. I would suggest that if people speaking about paranormal things annoys you so much just avoid the forum? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was just saying yesterday that book stores should get rid of their religion section and include it all in fiction (except for books about the Church of Scientology, they can go in Business).

Was actually just thinking about that earlier - how ironic that the athiest forum is under religion and spirituality. I would suggest that if people speaking about paranormal things annoys you so much just avoid the forum? ;)

I always find it amusing the way book shops do not know what section to put the now almost fashionable athiest books. Theology - no. Science - no. Philosophy - maybe. Ask a member of staff and they can struggle to find them.

I always find it amusing the way book shops do not know what section to put the now almost fashionable athiest books. Theology - no. Science - no. Philosophy - maybe. Ask a member of staff and they can struggle to find them.

Non-fiction?

mossieh wrote: »
    Non-fiction?

:-)

Advertisement