Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard or Hardcore

• 06-02-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

I am fairly sure that this is a debate going on all over COD 4 , so lets have it all in one thread .

Hardcore or Standard 26 votes

Hardcore
    0% 0 votes
    Standard
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hardcore is good but after playing it on our server since release i now find its a tad too easy to kill people.
    It does work better on servers with 18 or lower player count.
    Its just silly with anything above,infact its silly with more than 18 on any mode imo.

Standard mode is also fun,what i like about it is you will only one shot a guy to death with a head shot.

We are running pam on our server set to hardcore but i think pam as hardcore is somewhere in between the default hardcore and non hardcore which seems about perfect
    Its great playing without the ****ty choppers airstrikes and lame perks like martyrdom.

Both hardcore and non hardcore are great and i can see pros and cons of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Hardcore is for noobs, 1 hit kill with every gun? No thanks.

Standard takes some skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Holsten wrote: »

But doesn't hardcore take some skill to survive in? More skill than it takes to hold down the trigger for a second longer?

I like hardcore a lot more, but that's just me.

What like camp in a corner till someone walks by and take them out with 1 hit?

Normal mode you actually have to aim for a bit.

What like camp in a corner till someone walks by and take them out with 1 hit?

Normal mode you actually have to aim for a bit.

Who said camping? I'm just saying that if you can get kills in 1 shot so can everyone else, which brings the speed of the game right up, or right down depending on how defensive you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

Standard, shoot full clips into people and they live??
    Also hardcore is bout quick reactions, first to shoot wins. It's not spray and get a lucky shot as many people think.
    Also Hardcore is true hardcore, tis just a break until they remove all that "KILL" sign rubbish.

Also Hardcore is true hardcore, tis just a break until they remove all that "KILL" sign rubbish.

That kill sign can be removed when running pam,,it works great without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Standard, shoot full clips into people and they live??
    Also hardcore is bout quick reactions, first to shoot wins. It's not spray and get a lucky shot as many people think.
    Standard requires the use of controlled bursts of fire which you can argue takes more skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Hardcore for me over anything else. Used to love playing BFV, the aim in that game was great, if you hit someone they died. I think thats why I love Hardcore so much. Also being an "older" gamer its more a level playing field reaction wise. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Standard - (without perks/uavs/helis/arty)

hardcore is less skillful then standard game

b4 i get my head bitten off for last statement im clarifying it by saying i acknowledge hardcore requires skill just less then standard -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

Yeah i played pam4 for scims but only good for scrimming, most mods i've played are in early stages so aint great, and i duno it must be the fact that there's slightly more reaslism in hardcore that i prefare it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Hardcore requires more skill because you cant just spray at somebody and hope to kill them and people cant just go on mad rushes without really contemplating what their doing... if they run into someones line of fire out int he open they're screwe... having no-hud is also more of a challenge, having to figure out where nades are for example. Its also more realistic.

tbh if you play hardcore a lot, you'll probably wind up a better player, all you really need to overcome changing to standard is shooting people a bit more, other than that you get lots of perks with the return of your hud and what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Hardcore requires more skill because you cant just spray at somebody and hope to kill them and people cant just go on mad rushes without really contemplating what their doing... if they run into someones line of fire out int he open they're screwed... having no-hud is also more of a challenge, having to figure out where nades are for example. Its also more realistic.

i guess its just a matter of personal preference, i doubt im going to be convincing anyone otherwise - just keep in mind the only differences between hardcore and standard in terms of gameplay is the fact that everyone has less health and no hud. If anything spraying is MORE effective in hardcore (thats a fact not an opinion) because u need less bullets to kill somebody. therefore its more difficult to get kills in standard. Granted regular hardcore players are encouraged to be more "tactical" however the vast majority of pub hardcore games comes down to hide and seek with morons.

Dont let public play dictate your opinions on gametypes as things like sab and hq migh be fun in pub but simply arent played nearly half as much as S&D in real competition. I guess i am more concerned with the competitive scene where 95% of teams involved wouldnt touch hardcore mode with a 10-foot pole

im thinking of putting the following sentence into my signature on more forums - ive always felt the crappy "realism" mods for cod1,UO and 2 were shoi

"Realism does not automatically equal fun - if i wanted realism id join the army"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

QFT!

I couldn't agree more with the above. Standard FTW!

Hercule wrote: »
    "Realism does not automatically equal fun - if i wanted realism id join the army"
    LOL! Good one Hercule! :D

I think we have two gametypes here for two types of gamers:

- Hardcore: fun and easy. Ideal for n00bs* as they can actually get some frags!

- Standard: for the serious gamer. Much more difficult to get frags. And actually gives you a chance at defending yourself when some little n00b* is camping in a corner and shooting you in the back! :p

*n00b: I used this word to describe "less serious" gamers who only play on public servers and just for the laugh. It doesn't mean they're useless players with no skill what so ever (but it's close - lol)!

*n00b: I used this word to describe "less serious" gamers who only play on public servers and just for the laugh

That sums up my gaming right there,to me thats what gaming is all about ,didnt think i was a noob though :D

If you get too serious a game stops being fun and becomes a 'Who-has-a-bigger-cock-competition'.

For me it does anyway, and people who take a game too seriously (IMO) are as annoying as people who are total dicks and TK and block and other crap like that.

Dcully wrote: »
    That sums up my gaming right there,to me thats what gaming is all about ,didnt think i was a noob though :D
    Well now you do Dcully! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Always play on Hardcore servers myself. Always find lots of n00bs on the Standard servers.

On Standard, players comes up, and wham, you're dead, thanks to the nice GUI.

In Hardcore, you run around a corner into someone, and you have a chance they'll harm you, but not kill you, unless they have a M60 or shotgun.

So far, I'm mainly playing on Hardcore TDM servers. One shot to the head, or two to the body.

You like emptying a mag into someone's chest at point blank, and seeing them walk away? Play Standard, then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Standard is better IMO as you need to have quicker reactions to get kills as the enemy probably knows where you are so you have to out-aim them

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Standard is better IMO as you need to have quicker reactions to get kills as the enemy probably knows where you are so you have to out-aim them

... thus requiring more skill / aim / faster reaction / etc. My point exactly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

If you've played lots of HC, in my case nearly 95%, then I think its really hard to play normal mode. I'd say others might have found the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Hercule wrote: »
    If anything spraying is MORE effective in hardcore (thats a fact not an opinion) because u need less bullets to kill somebody. therefore its more difficult to get kills in standard.

Having no crosshair makes it harder to aim, if you're at a distance you need to aim down the scope so spraying isn't at all very effective, maybe with the MG yeah but same goes for standard.

In standard you have a crosshair and know exactly where your bullets are going, so you can just spray widely using the crosshair, in hardcore you don't have that option and with recoil you can lose you target easily.
    If you've played lots of HC, in my case nearly 95%, then I think its really hard to play normal mode. I'd say others might have found the same.

Really its not that hard getting over the extra health really, I get used to firing an extra few rounds into someone pretty quickly, and having a HUD makes things pretty simple when you've been deprived of one.
    KamiKazi wrote: »

How do you need quicker reactions? You just said all you need is better aim, in Hardcore speed is more essential because its whoever can shoot the other person accurately with speed who wins. eg. player has drop on someone in standard, aims for mid section and starts shooting, other play reacts and instantly aims for head, and wins. So really aim is more important, and in hardcore you learn to aim without a HUD, so its like regaining a sense when we get a HUD in standard.

I really think it's up to the specific person but some of the arguments are so illogical I have to point it out.
    the_syco wrote:
    On Standard, players comes up, and wham, you're dead, thanks to the nice GUI.

In Hardcore, you run around a corner into someone, and you have a chance they'll harm you, but not kill you, unless they have a M60 or shotgun.
    It's like you have the two modes mixed up?! I'm not sure what your reference to the GUI is about.
    robby^5" wrote:
    In standard you have a crosshair and know exactly where your bullets are going, so you can just spray widely using the crosshair, in hardcore you don't have that option and with recoil you can lose you target easily.
    As pointed out by yourself, you know exactly where your bullets are going if you spray wildly...wildly all over the place!
    And, em, the guns recoil in standard too :eek:
    robby^5" wrote:
    Hardcore speed is more essential because its whoever can shoot the other person accurately with speed who wins.
    In hardcore you can aim any where above the waist and it'll drop them in one or two shots. Standard you have to hit the head to achieve that. So if you want to talk about it like that, standard is a race to a smaller target which you could say requires more skill.
    Hercule wrote:
    If anything spraying is MORE effective in hardcore (thats a fact not an opinion) because u need less bullets to kill somebody.
    As he said, it's a fact. You spray in standard and more random bullets have to hit your target than if you spray in hardcore where only one/two of those random bullets have to land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

the_syco wrote: »

You like emptying a mag into someone's chest at point blank, and seeing them walk away? Play Standard, then.

I play a lot of standard and have yet to see this happen , I am going to assume this is an over exaggeration to try and make a point .

Seifer wrote: »
    As pointed out by yourself, you know exactly where your bullets are going if you spray wildly...wildly all over the place!
    And, em, the guns recoil in standard too :eek:

Em i didn't say they didn't? I just said that in hardcore the recoil can be harder to deal with since you have no crosshair to reposition your aim with.

Also spraying is what it is, noobs do it, its not easier to spray in either mode because its stupid and inaccurate.
    In hardcore you can aim any where above the waist and it'll drop them in one or two shots. Standard you have to hit the head to achieve that. So if you want to talk about it like that, standard is a race to a smaller target which you could say requires more skill.

Really depends on the gun tbh, not all the weapons will drop someone in 1 or 2 shots, some can be a few more
    As he said, it's a fact. You spray in standard and more random bullets have to hit your target than if you spray in hardcore where only one/two of those random bullets have to land.

Its a fact eh? when were these facts published and by whom? ;) Spraying is what it is, noobs do it, close range spraying is really only attainable with the shotgun or mg cause without the hud its quite frantic at a closer range, at long range if you get killed by spray then learn2move :D

All in all its a matter of preference, theres not much difference between the two, players switching to hardcore from standard will find it harder to aim, hardcore players switching to standard will find it a little inconvinient shooting those extra few bullets.

Most people who play hardcore would probably agree, the realism is one of the attracting factors of this mode, and judging from the amount of servers running hardcore its equally as popular as standard, it looks about 50-50 as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

On a standard server you have a UAV..that shows you where ppl are anytime they shoot ,,,unless they have silencers..you basically know where EVERYONE is. I dont see the challenge

For MATCH gameplay, im sure some of yous have also played proper league matches in COD4 at this stage....Hardcore is superior, especially in conjunction with the PAM4 mod

SeantheMan wrote: »
    For MATCH gameplay, im sure some of yous have also played proper league matches in COD4 at this stage....Hardcore is superior, especially in conjunction with the PAM4 mod

Are you taking the piss?

Hardcore is like "hey, I shot you in the toe with a deagle from the other side of the map and your dead!!"

robby^5 wrote:
    Really depends on the gun tbh, not all the weapons will drop someone in 1 or 2 shots, some can be a few more
    If that is the case, then no one would use those guns.
    robby^5 wrote:
    Also spraying is what it is, noobs do it, its not easier to spray in either mode because its stupid and inaccurate.
    Yes it is.
    robby^5 wrote:
    Its a fact eh? when were these facts published and by whom? Spraying is what it is, noobs do it, close range spraying is really only attainable with the shotgun or mg cause without the hud its quite frantic at a closer range
    I thought I explained it pretty well. It's just very basic probability. If I tell you to empty a clip at a target, it is more likely you will hit it once or twice than three or more times. Regardless, the first two hits have to land to get the third and on.
    To "attain" spray you just hold down the left mouse button. It can be done with any automatic gun. I find it odd that you think the shotgun is a gun that is more prone to spraying :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like hardcore a bit more, seeing people on a map is just too easy. Maybe standard with no map.

I just wish they had something in the browser to state hc or standard-apart from the actual server name.

Aye, quite annoying when you connect to one you don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

SeantheMan wrote: »

Dont know where you get your information from mate. :confused:

clanbase.jpg

As you can see, hardcore is clearly superior :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

harscore is for n00bs

get skillz b00bs :p

If that is the case, then no one would use those guns.

Yes because guns have absolute no other attributes other than damage, which of course in hardcore is always 1 or 2 shots according to you.
    I thought I explained it pretty well. It's just very basic probability. If I tell you to empty a clip at a target, it is more likely you will hit it once or twice than three or more times. Regardless, the first two hits have to land to get the third and on.
    To "attain" spray you just hold down the left mouse button. It can be done with any automatic gun. I find it odd that you think the shotgun is a gun that is more prone to spraying :confused:

So according to your probability out of say 30 bullets one is more likely to hit an enemy 1 or 2 times? hmmm dunno about that, if you start spraying at somone at hit them once or twice, given the speed of the bullets, several more hits are pretty much assured. If i ask you to empty a clip at someone in either hardcore or standard the probable outcome for the target is death either way, but there are lots of factors, distance, cover, players aim etc. As I said in hardcore you have no crosshair to give you a general idea of where to spray at close range, and standard takes more bullets...

But here like i said its really all opinion, so thats that imo. Hardcore is awesome, some people think the same of standard. ;) I play for fun, hardcore is great fun.

Also it seems i was on the dot with it being 50:50 in popularity, it definately seems that way anyway, on public anyway hardcore even seems to have more severs, but its ridiculous for cod4 to have 2 game modes being played in leagues etc. standard is what clans and all should play since it is the standard mode, hardcore is a variant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Hardcore is for idiots.

/thread

robby^5 wrote:
    Yes because guns have absolute no other attributes other than damage, which of course in hardcore is always 1 or 2 shots according to you.
    What gun doesn't kill in one/two shots in hardcore that anyone in their right mind would use? ie. a rifle or smg.

I'll give it one more shot and if you don't get it then I'm afraid you're a lost cause.
    robby^5 wrote:
    So according to your probability out of say 30 bullets one is more likely to hit an enemy 1 or 2 times? hmmm dunno about that, if you start spraying at somone at hit them once or twice, given the speed of the bullets, several more hits are pretty much assured.
    First off, speed of the bullets is irrelevant. Yes one is more likely to hit because the odds of an event happening 1/30 times are higher than it happening 2/30, 3/30 etc.
    robby^5 wrote:
    If i ask you to empty a clip at someone in either hardcore or standard the probable outcome for the target is death either way, but there are lots of factors, distance, cover, players aim etc.
    Yes but they will more likely die faster in hardcore because they can take less hits. We are talking about spraying so the factors will only affect how many bullets land but since this is consistant to both modes it's irrelvant.
    robby^5 wrote:
    As I said in hardcore you have no crosshair to give you a general idea of where to spray at close range, and standard takes more bullets...
    The centre of the screen, there's your general idea. Yes standard does take more bullets, therefore it is harder to kill someone with spraying in standard.

Hardcore is for idiots.

Ridiculous statement.

Im liking standard the more i play it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement