Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moving home, bringing a ford focus diesel with me

Options
  • 06-02-2008 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm living in Lnodon at the moment and my plan is to buy a car at the end of April this year and move home at the end of October. I have a few questions and assumptions that need clearing up if anyone would care to clarify them.

-- I want to get a diesel engine car, and in particular I have been looking at the Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi. Should I go all out and try to find a younger model (2003 - 2004) with a good mileage (cost around £3.5 - £4k), or should I buy a '99 high miler for about 1.5 - 2k?

-- Would the first option outlined above be a good investment? In that I could sell it for a good price in Ireland even a year after a bring it home?

-- I am assuming that after 6 months of owning the car over here I won't have to pay VRT on it when bringing it into Ireland. I am also assuming that even though the car was manufactured before July 2008, I will be taxed on emissions and not engine size, as it will be an import coming in after that date.

-- When I do sell the car, will it still be taxed based on emissions instead of engine size ?

-- Has anyone here owned or driven a Focus diesel ? Are they good cars. Reviews online indicate that they are.

-- Can anyone reccommend another diesel engined car for a budget of about 3-4k sterling ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

pontovic wrote: »
    Hi

I'm living in Lnodon at the moment and my plan is to buy a car at the end of April this year and move home at the end of October. I have a few questions and assumptions that need clearing up if anyone would care to clarify them.

Be careful - make sure you've relevant proof of living over there (tax certs etc) and that the car is registered in your name longer than 6 months if you want to avail of not having to pay the VRT.
    pontovic wrote:
    -- I want to get a diesel engine car, and in particular I have been looking at the Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi. Should I go all out and try to find a younger model (2003 - 2004) with a good mileage (cost around £3.5 - £4k), or should I buy a '99 high miler for about 1.5 - 2k?

Personal choice/situation, can't help you here!
    pontovic wrote:
    -- I am assuming that after 6 months of owning the car over here I won't have to pay VRT on it when bringing it into Ireland. I am also assuming that even though the car was manufactured before July 2008, I will be taxed on emissions and not engine size, as it will be an import coming in after that date.

ANY car that is registered in this state on or after Jul 1st '08 will be taxed based on emissions. ANY car = new car or used import.
    pontovic wrote:
    -- When I do sell the car, will it still be taxed based on emissions instead of engine size ?

If it's registered on or after Jul 1st '08 - tax is emissions based going forward. No reverting back to the current system regardless of the cars age (new or used).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be very sure that whatever car you buy has certified CO2 emissions stated on official documentation. Otherwise it will be taxed at the highest rate - €2,000 per annum!

This alone should knock the '99 on the head. AFAIK you should get certified CO2 emission data on 2000 cars or later.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hi

Get a 2003/2004 one. it will ahve a TDCi engine. The 1999 will have a TDDi engine.
    -- Would the first option outlined above be a good investment? In that I could sell it for a good price in Ireland even a year after a bring it home?

-- Has anyone here owned or driven a Focus diesel ? Are they good cars. Reviews online indicate that they are.

Get a TDCi 115ps version. Ideally get a 3dr Sport spec. It should be easy to shift for good money.

I own a TDCi 115 in zetec spec. have done 86k so far with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote: »
    Get a 2003/2004 one. it will ahve a TDCi engine. The 1999 will have a TDDi engine.

Get a TDCi 115ps version. Ideally get a 3dr Sport spec. It should be easy to shift for good money.

I own a TDCi 115 in zetec spec. have done 86k so far with no problems.

Didn't they drop the old TDDi from the UK Focus model line up back around 2000/2001?

Advertisement