Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trip to Munich

Options
  • 06-02-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

My father in his infinite wisdom has decided to take me to Munich this September for a weekend. Anyone who knows anything about cars will know when they see my username why I'm going there:D.

What I'm wondering is has anyone visited BMW Welt since it opened and is it any good? It looks absolutely amazing in the pictures, and I have a good idea thanks to BMW's international website what I can expect to see there.

I want to know a couple of things before I go.

I know they offer you a tour of BMW Welt, but is it on in September and at weekends, and if so what times? I know I will need to have it booked sooner rather than later because I know what the Germans are like for organisation and forward planning.

Is the Vier-Zylinder Gebaeude nearby(BMW's 4 cylinder building, where their headquarters is)?

Is there anything else BMW related in Munich that I have left out? I'm wondering is it possible to see like say the Dingolfing plant(though I see from Wikipedia it is 100 km north of Munich, so I doubt that will happen)?

And is there anything else worth seeing in Munich that is not car related, apart from the markets, cause I know my old man won't want to have an all BMW/car dominated weekend:D!

And of course, anyone been to Munich and know anywhere good to stay, preferably near the city centre and nothing too fancy, though I know the Germans aren't really into things that are the lap of luxury anyway.

Lastly, I've heard that the German they speak in Bavaria is totally different to the normal Hoch Deutsch, so if I start speaking to people in German will they understand me(well that's debatable anyway:p) and far more importantly, will I understand them:D?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

E92 wrote: »
    And is there anything else worth seeing in Munich that is not car related, apart from the markets, cause I know my old man won't want to have an all BMW/car dominated weekend:D!
    Visit Dachau, the Olympic Stadium (and the Allianz Arena), have a few beers in the Hofbrauhaus...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Oktoberfest is towards the end of september, in Munich, tis good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I go to Munich a fair bit with work and its a really nice city. The people are a lot more chilled and laidback than the German stereotypes would lead you to believe. Anywhere near the Marianplatz is central enough. I stayed in the intercity hotel last time there which was cheap/cheerful enough.

Definitely try and visit one of the breweries or big bars when you are there such as the augustiner brewery or the hofbrauhaus. Well worth a visit.

Also dont bother getting a cab from the airport , the S8 is nearly as quick and much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Munich is full of "Saupreissn" (hochdeutsch speaking Germans from other areas, ie. non-Bavarians) you'll be alright.

Places worth visiting include the *******stadium and tower, the old town centre, the Viktualienmarkt and (for a rainy day and if you're into that kind of thing) the "Deutsches Museum" which is packed with first class technical and scientific exhibits http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en.

If you like watching Japanese tourists getting drunk, then the "Hofbraeuhaus" is a must ...otherwise give it a miss.

some more hints here:
    http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/tourist_office/sehenswuerdigkeiten/88120/index.html

EDIT bloody MCD events ...the ****** stands for the stadium that was built for that big sports event that happens every leap year and has the five rings as its symbol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What I'm wondering is has anyone visited BMW Welt since it opened and is it any good? It looks absolutely amazing in the pictures, and I have a good idea thanks to BMW's international website what I can expect to see there.

I been a couple of times, to be honest its just a big flash show room and nothing else. Yes you can get tours but you really don't need it. Take your time and stroll around, soak up that BM goodneess ;)

Is the Vier-Zylinder Gebaeude nearby(BMW's 4 cylinder building, where their headquarters is)?

Right next door, you'll see it when you come off the U-Bahn (subway)
    Is there anything else BMW related in Munich that I have left out? I'm wondering is it possible to see like say the Dingolfing plant(though I see from Wikipedia it is 100 km north of Munich, so I doubt that will happen)?

Across the bridge in the Olympia Park is the BMW museum, well worth a visit. I think its reasonable enough to get into and they have some rare and unusual BM's in there.

Lastly, I've heard that the German they speak in Bavaria is totally different to the normal Hoch Deutsch, so if I start speaking to people in German will they understand me(well that's debatable anyway:p) and far more importantly, will I understand them:D?

Don't worry about that, there are a lot of non-Bavarians living in the Munich area and believe it or not a huge percentage of the locals speak good English and if they don't they'll certainly try. Since you have German you shouldn't have any issues conversing.

What sort of things are you interested in apart from car's and I'll see if I can make some suggestions. I'm living here 6 months now and am still discovering places myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I used to work at the BMW plant in Munich. They offer daily tours of the factory but you better book way in advance.

To sign up for a guided tour, see link below

http://www.bmw-plant-munich.com/lowband/com/en/index.html

Another place to spend a whole day would be the Deutsches Museum

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

RedorDead wrote: »
    I go to Munich a fair bit with work and its a really nice city. The people are a lot more chilled and laidback than the German stereotypes would lead you to believe. Anywhere near the Marianplatz is central enough. I stayed in the intercity hotel last time there which was cheap/cheerful enough.

Definitely try and visit one of the breweries or big bars when you are there such as the augustiner brewery or the hofbrauhaus. Well worth a visit.

Also dont bother getting a cab from the airport , the S8 is nearly as quick and much cheaper.

Cheers for the info(and everyone else as well), I'm going to make sure we get a taxi, please tell me that there is an Autobahn without the inconvenience of a speed limit near the airport that would go towards the city centre(I know there are Autobahns without the inconvenience of a speed limit in Munich, how could there not be when BMW is there)? the only reason I want a taxi is for a blast on a speed limit free Autobahn(I've had the good fortune to have travelled at 180 km/h before on Germany's Autobahns, and I want to do it again!):D. If it's got a speed limit, then it's public transport ftw!

As for the German stereotype, I've met several Germans, and the vast majority of them are far far removed from it, especially young people who are quite like the Irish I think, just a bit more sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As far as I know the 4-cylinder building is their headquarters, and it's not far away from the Olympic stadium, so you can kill two birds with one stone there. You can go up to the top of the Olympic Tower and get a great view of the stadium and the surrounding area.

As far as your German is concerned, they can certainly understand Hochdeutsch, and will probably not go over the top with the local accent/ dialect once they spot you're not a native, but it can take a bit of getting used to.

Marienplatz is quite quaint, and watch out for the animated clock on the town hall at midday. http://www.aviewoncities.com/munich/marienplatz.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ooo...ooo...can I come too:D:D:D

Enjoy. Never been, but I hear München a great place to be a tourist.

forgot the most important bit:

a BIERGARTEN

if you get any decent weather at all, you absolutely have to go to one

http://www.muenchen.de/verticals/GastroGuide/Biergarten-Special/125757/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

And if you like nature (naked chicks) then visit the Englischer Garten :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Cheers for the info(and everyone else as well), I'm going to make sure we get a taxi, please tell me that there is an Autobahn without the inconvenience of a speed limit near the airport that would go towards the city centre(I know there are Autobahns without the inconvenience of a speed limit in Munich, how could there not be when BMW is there)? the only reason I want a taxi is for a blast on a speed limit free Autobahn(I've had the good fortune to have travelled at 180 km/h before on Germany's Autobahns, and I want to do it again!):D. If it's got a speed limit, then it's public transport ftw!

As for the German stereotype, I've met several Germans, and the vast majority of them are far far removed from it, especially young people who are quite like the Irish I think, just a bit more sensible!

Jaysus that tax driver must have been asleep, we were doing 220 - 240 in a Merc in Poland, from Krakow airport to the City, although he was raising the other lunatic taxi that the rest of the lads were in.

Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated!

Are there any Autobahns near Munich Airport that have no speed limit, I know from my last experience in Germany that taxi drivers never obey the speed limit so I presume if I get him to go on a limit free Autobahn he will floor it and travel as fast as the Merc will go! And if he doesn't how can I drop hints that I want to be driven flat out(bare in mind that my old man doesn't speak German so he won't have a clue what I'm saying:D)?

There is a stretch of Autobahn leading from the airport to the city.

It is usually fairly busy and speed limited as you get closer to Munich.

Not really worth spending the money for the taxi IMO, especially as the taxi will most likely be stuck in traffic once in the city and will cost you an arm and a leg.

S-Bahn from the airport to city center is a much cheaper and quicker option.

peasant wrote: »

Not really worth spending the money for the taxi IMO, especially as the taxi will most likely be stuck in traffic once in the city and will cost you an arm and a leg.

When you say "fairly busy", do you mean by Irish standards or German standards, there is a big difference;)? How expensive is "too expensive"? I'd settle for going on the S-Bahn one time and the Autobahn the other time, I want one more go on a limit free Autobahn, even though I doubt things will change, 2008 could well be the last year of limit free Autobahns with elections there next year, all I need is the Greens to be in Government or something and blanket speed limits the next time I go to Germany and I'll be regreting it!

peasant wrote: »

Second that, taxis in germany are a rip

More expensive than dublin anyway.

craichoe wrote: »
    Second that, taxis in germany are a rip

Are they dearer than Irish taxis? I can't see how they(taxi drivers) can make money then, Germans hate spending a cent more than is absolutely necessary, they all love discount brands/anything discounted(except for cars:D) in my experience:D.

How busy depends very much on the time of day, but if it's busy, then it's packed.

AFAIR that stretch of Autobahn has automatically controlled speed limits ...the busier it gets, the further down the limit comes.

The airport is a good half hours drive from the outskirts of Munich and once you hit the edge of the city traffic gets pretty chaotic. At the "right" time of the day that taxi journey could cost on the wrong side of 100 euro and take well over an hour, depending on your destination.

Are they dearer than Irish taxis? I can't see how they(taxi drivers) can make money then, Germans hate spending a cent more than is absolutely necessary, they all love discount brands/anything discounted(except for cars:D) in my experience:D.

Thats why the get the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, Bus etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

factory tour is well worth it - unmissable for a bmw enthusiast although not as high tech as their other factories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Deutsches Museum +1
    Absolutely Incredible.
    Wear comfortable shoes as its [reportedly] 16km to walk past all exhibits :eek:

Advertisement