Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you do it?

• 06-02-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick show of hands please.
    When shooting rabbits with a rifle do you
    1) Walk till you spot one and try and sneak up on 'em
    2) Set yourself up where you know they'll be eventually and wait

I have little patience so i'm gonna say No. 1

Ps. for anyone who does both, which do you have more success with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I do both.

It really depends on location. Some places stalking is best option as numbers/terrain don't warrant waiting around.

One place I shot last year I waited and shot 135 on a sunny Sunday afternoon after the silage had been cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Number 1 ,but there is no sneaking up involved as i use a heavy barrell .17 .
    I can pick them off at 150 to 180 yrds weather permitting of course so they dont see me coming.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 openseason

no. 1 as long as the winds in your face and theres some cover between you and the rabbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No1, sneak up, then curse as he disappears before you are close enough (shotgun)

One place I shot last year I waited and shot 135 on a sunny Sunday afternoon after the silage had been cut
    I'm hoping that 135 should read 13 or 15 or even 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

When walking up to rabbits do it quietly and don't put the feet down too hard. Their way of raising alarm is a rattle of the hind legs on the ground so easy does it. When lamping I found that a red filter is brilliant for rabbits. They don't pay any attention while a normal white spot spooks them.

If you know a good spot where there's plenty lying in wait is handy allright.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    No1, sneak up, then curse as he disappears before you are close enough (shotgun)

I'm hoping that 135 should read 13 or 15 or even 35

135, my best bag ever.......farmer wanted them dealt with, they ate the whole headland of a field of corn at the other side of the ditch in two weeks, There are as many there again this year............so roll on april..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I'd only ever shoot whatever I come across, and then only if they are an issue ie new sown grass etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

135, my best bag ever.......farmer wanted them dealt with, they ate the whole headland of a field of corn at the other side of the ditch in two weeks, There are as many there again this year............so roll on april..............

hi bunny shooter that must be a irish recorde or european al least.
    135 in how many hours. what can i said only TOP CLASS:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

lets face it rabbits are dumb

go for a strol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yep anything works really as long as there are rabbits around

Had regular days where id just stroll around a field take an hour or two going slowing picking them off as they come around or driving around fields in a jeep if you need to set up and wait there probably isnt enough around the place to warrent shooting them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I do both. I know my fields & they are there as always when I round the corner. Been a bit quiet recently though. I'm sure they have sussed my car. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Normally I go for number 1, but then things might not always go to plan :D
    But then again its hard to beat waiting in cover for him/her to pop out for 'dinner' and letting them end up being yours!!! :)

thehair wrote: »
    hi bunny shooter that must be a irish recorde or european al least.
    135 in how many hours. what can i said only TOP CLASS:cool:

Record, doubt it. Rabbits are very plentiful in places around me. I was shooting for approx 5-6 hours.

They all went to feed dogs or people just in case someone thinks they were wasted.

I know a lot of lads with greyhounds and friends who are very grateful for the free protein. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Record, doubt it. Rabbits are very plentiful in places around me. I was shooting for approx 5-6 hours.

They all went to feed dogs or people just in case someone thinks they were wasted.

I know a lot of lads with greyhounds and friends who are very grateful for the free protein. ;)
    Just tell me one thing what part of the country are you in:rolleyes: do they suffer from myixiematosis?? up your way- you know some years you have a lot and others theres none..?
    Also have you seen many if any mink.. i say none if thats the type of rabbit numbers..
    Rabbits should be in the same spot that you seen them in yesterday.. keep quite and move slow and try to walk in the shadows of hedges and even tree shadows that should do it.
    oh ye dont for get the gun:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i walk around like im on a platoon mission in Vietnam :D :P, i know all the hotspots on out land and there are a good few of them, and i sneac to within 50 - 100 yards..

I wont shoot baby rabbitts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

if i am lucky i hope to shoot rabbits next year 2009 march onwards
    i have .22 rimfire now for target shooting only hope to buy march 2009
    at least .223 or 243 and go bunny shooting i am only learn to shoot
    at target out to 100 yards. march 2009 i will want to go hunting
    ps foxs too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

So it would appear that the rest of ye are as impatient as me apart from Bunny shooter with his massive sack(135)! I'm planning a good evening of shooting saturday after the rugby, weather permiting.
    I'll try an hour of silent scope and an hour of stroll and snipe and see how they compare.
    Anyone else who wants to do the same and report back i'd love to hear.

Cheers for the info lads.

Happy hunting

One Bullet........Bang, Bang!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me one thing what part of the country are you in:rolleyes: do they suffer from myixiematosis?? up your way- you know some years you have a lot and others theres none..?
    Also have you seen many if any mink.. i say none if thats the type of rabbit numbers..
    Rabbits should be in the same spot that you seen them in yesterday.. keep quite and move slow and try to walk in the shadows of hedges and even tree shadows that should do it.
    oh ye dont for get the gun:p

South Tipp. Good rabbit country, believe me :p Better than Dublin for them I'd say ?

Mink not too many, local fishing club give 'em hell, which I am a member of too

Mixy, not that much in last few years, and it starts in late September, when I'm nearly finished my rabbit shooting.

And I'm a rather good shot :p

Advertisement