Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Advice Wanted] Need info fast

• 06-02-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hi, well i'm in a sticky situation me and my friend are moving out of our student house (privately owned). we are living with 4 of our other friends but we had a falling out and on the 7th of january we told our landlord that we wanted to leave. he told us that we had to get 2 people to replace us which is fair enough but i wasn't sure that it was our reponsibility. we could only find on person in time.

we have an apartment with the deposit payed for and we're due to move in today but the landlord said before that he's not letting us leave until we've found the new tenants.

also we never really signed a lease. we only signed a list of rules to adhere by.

basically what im saying is can we leave with our full deposits (due to our months notice) and will he let us leave at all?

if anyone knew of a site that i could go onto and make a print out for him showing that we're in the right that would be great.

hope ye can get back to me soon, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well you have given your months notice so I see no problem.

Need more info.
    Were you paying the landlord for your room? Or do you and your friends pay the landlord for the house together?

It looks like you were paying for your room so of course you can get your deposit back.
    Your landlord is just trying to save work for himself and most landlords do this. It's not your job to put an ad on daft or pay for an ad in a paper.
    And if your lease doesn't have a set time on it (like the academic year) then your months notice is fine

http://www.threshold.ie/
    This site would not open for me but try it later and you might something. If anyone has info, they will have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

when we talked to the landlord about it tho he said that we signed a lease but like i said it was just a sheet of rules... what does this mean for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Surely you have a copy of what you signed? It may have looked like a set of rules at the time, but it was more than likely a lease. If its a lease for a certain time period that you have signed, you won't get your deposit back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask you landlord to show you the purported lease, that he says you signed. If you have signed nothing, the only law that really applies is the Residential Tenancies Act. There is a sliding scaleof notice that is required to be given, depending on how long you have been there, that you can find on www.prtb.ie

You are perfectly entitled to leave and move into your new place, he can't stop you. The only problem being he will want the rent made good, presumably via your deposit.

Do talk to Threshold.
    sharkDawg wrote: »
    Surely you have a copy of what you signed? It may have looked like a set of rules at the time, but it was more than likely a lease. If its a lease for a certain time period that you have signed, you won't get your deposit back!
    Not quite. If the lease is for a fixed term and the tenant wants to move out, the landlord can insist the tenant provide a (suitable) replacement. If the landlord declines to accept the replacement, the tenant can still get their deposit back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement