Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the best software ghosting drives?

• 06-02-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Im swapping a laptop drive for a bigger one and want to transfer everything including drivers through a USB caddy. Whats the best software for this? The last one I used was a DOS based version of Norton Ghost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ghost is still good. A free (as in beer) alternative that I like to use now is Windows PE 2.0 with imagex. Its basically the same stuff used in the Windows Vista installer. Imagex can capture a drive/partition to a WIM image and will compress it. If you build your PE 2.0 CD/DVD with drivers for your network card (many are built-in) you can image it direct to a network drive on another machine. Afaik it supports USB mass storage as well so that should work too.
    To build a PE 2.0 disc you will need to download the WAIK (Windows automated installation kit) from Microsoft and do some googling! Its possible someone might have this done already in something like BartPE though!

I use it in work to capture and deploy images of servers and PCs.

The DOS version of Ghost 2003 still works fine. The only advice I'll need to give you is that when using SATA drives you may need to launch it with the /noide switch or else it will hang on startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I recently discovered MaxBlast, and find it does my needs very well. It's free, but hefty download, but I've been very pleased with the interface and speed it works at. You can probably spend money on something that does more, but if all you want to do is make backups of your HD, or clone disks, it will do the job effortlessly for you.

Here's a quick link if you want to check it out;

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Advertisement