Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attendence and Contribution = Double Standards

• 06-02-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Yikes... the results are out!!

I did mostly ok except two tutors REALLY bugged me. I got an F and a D- for Att. + Con. even though I attended more than half the classes and did the presentations\essays I was asked to do!!! :confused:

I was just talking to two other students, one who got a D- (having only attended ONE tutorial) and the other a B having attended more than half (like myself)

Surely a university with a reputation like UCD has ONE marking standard and doesn't allow each tutor to mark according to their own scheme???

It's completely unfair. I was thinking of meeting with both tutors to try get the problem resolved but I probably wont be able to do much about it. I don't really know what to do, I just don't think it's fair that your tutor can cause so much damage simply because they were in a bad mood or couldn't remember which student they were grading. Obviously the tutors believed that I didn't deserve a good Att. + Cont. grade as I didn't go to all of the tutorials but my attendence wasn't even that bad and if one student gets a D- from one tutor for only attending one class then how is it fair that I get a D- for going to six or seven of the classes???

Just to add I didn't actually fail any module and have never failed so I know my problem isn't really that big, but surely marking papers should be a case of credit where it's due?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

unfortunately contribution marks are solely down to the interpretation by your tutor so those marks are solely in their hands

but i find it completely bizarre that you can a D- if you say you attended the majority of tutorials? :confused:

did you sign the sign-in sheet? are you certain your tutor took down your name for attendance?

you should contact your tutor immediately, raise your concerns, ask them to review the sign-in sheets and get satisfactory explanation off them. if your tutor is unhelpful get onto to your module coordinator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Yeah I know, I mean granted I didn't go to ALL of the classes but I did do the presentations and essays and I did attend more classes than I missed!! :(

I've arranged a meeting with one of them. I'll see how that one goes and then I'll decide if there's any point in talking to the other one!!

Hopefully it is just a misunderstanding. If not, UCD is an absolute joke!

Advertisement