Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rag Week Acts announced...

• 06-02-2008 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Monday 18th Feb
    ::: Discoknots
    ::: Groove Armada DJ Set

Tuesday 19th Feb
    :::Cover Band ***to be announced***

Wednesday 20th February
    THE RAG BALL ***BAR EXTENSION***
    :::B*Witched
    ::: 2 Unlimited
    ::: DJ SASH!

Thursday 21st February
    ::: Comedy with Michael Winslow from Police Academy, 8pm

http://www.dcu.ie/~campus/venue.html

have to say its an improvement on anything over the last 4 years i've been in DCU.....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

2 To Da Mutha****in Unlimited!!!!!!!!!111111111111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Looks good, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

they could have forgotten about those crap out of date bands/djs and focused on getting one good act, sash have only two good songs, really only one, b witched have none and 2unlimited are too old for most of the students who will attend to remember, but that's just my ignorant opinion, maybe people just want blasts from the past all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pathetic really.

monday:
    groove armada, yeah, dj-set AKA one of them playing some random songs in the NuBar, great.

tuesday:
    oh, i can't wait until we get some guns 'n' roses/thin lizzy/abba/some other novelty band crap, same as every other event/year.

wed:
    wahlrab got it spot on. bull**** novelty acts with a few good songs. not that i'd expect anything else at a DCU event. either that or some ****e irish singer-songwriter. all the more embarrassing considering UCD got Digitalism (if that's even part of their rag week in the first place?).

thurs:
    some guy from a series of **** films who stopped being relevant years ago.

top job as usual DCU.

no rag trip either? the one decent thing of rag week and it gets dropped....but wahey! we've got b*witched to sing along to! load of me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

pathetic really.

monday:
    groove armada, yeah, dj-set AKA one of them playing some random songs in the NuBar, great.

tuesday:
    oh, i can't wait until we get some guns 'n' roses/thin lizzy/abba/some other novelty band crap, same as every other event/year.

wed:
    wahlrab got it spot on. bull**** novelty acts with a few good songs. not that i'd expect anything else at a DCU event. either that or some ****e irish singer-songwriter. all the more embarrassing considering UCD got Digitalism (if that's even part of their rag week in the first place?).

thurs:
    some guy from a series of **** films who stopped being relevant years ago.

top job as usual DCU.

no rag trip either? the one decent thing of rag week and it gets dropped....but wahey! we've got b*witched to sing along to! load of me hole.

Personally i dont think anyone needs to read your post. I havent read such a moany and gloomy post in ages. Maybe you need to get out more and see the sun?

Also when using the internet its a good idea to be able to read. Again personally i find it useful.

http://life.dcu.ie/img/logos/rag-week-b2.jpg

If you carefully look at this image here and read the text you might see that the Infamous Rag Trip is taking place on the Thursday

Right, on to the bands so. Just cause you dont like them doesnt mean you can b*tch and moan about an event thats going to be a lot of fun.
    its called having a good time with some good bands that are well known who probably still are expensive to hire.

http://ucdents.com/images/stories/ragweek2.jpg
    here is just an image for UCDs Rag Week (note the dates)

Digitalism are playing on the 10th of April and its 16E in.
    At a guess DCU SU's events will be 10e each and most of the money will be going to charity.
    not straight into someones pocket.

seriously, get off the internet, your not wanted here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

fair enough, i was reacting to the fact that these seem to be the only things happening, though there are several of other things happening according to that graphic.
    as for the bands, it's not a matter of liking them or not, it's the fact that they're one-hit wonders who are basically useless and serve no purpose.
    the money would be better spent on providing drinks promos to get people in the door erly, or something beneficial to the vast majority of students. i'm pretty sure there aren;t any Sash or B*Witched fans who were asking for these bands. they're not good bands, stop kidding yourself, they're BS novelty acts and well you know it. yeah, the night is going to be fun, just like most event are fun in DCU regardless of whatever rubbish they put on.

thanks, i get out plenty and see the sun, often when i leave the DCU campus, you remember how to get out of DCU, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

this reminds me of the saying, fighting over the internet is like winning gold in the special olympics. cant remember the rest of the saying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Firesuite

Aww this kills me, Sash! & 2 Unlimited on a 90s stage, I wanna go!

But am an old fogey who lived the 90s first hand and graduated 2 years ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

i wonder how long it will take before you know what are mentioned and that law is yet again proved.

I am just wondering what is the best band anyone has seen in dcu or even best act, the best and near only one was colin murphy live 4 years ago, the delorentos were good,

thedara: don't insult ghostdancer, he has every right to come here and complain, doesn't he? i haven't read the charter in a while but he's not slagging the college rather a college event, i'm surprised dcu didn't manage to get aqua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Wow we're going to run out of ****ty one hit wonder 90's dance-pop acts pretty soon... I suggest next year we get MC Hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Firesuite wrote: »
    Aww this kills me, Sash! & 2 Unlimited on a 90s stage, I wanna go!

But am an old fogey who lived the 90s first hand and graduated 2 years ago :(

You said you'd never return!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

thedara wrote: »
    seriously, get off the internet, your not wanted here

Meow! the cats got claws. Youve no authority here, laughable that you would even suggest such a thing. My intial reaction to seeing that list was the same as ghostdancer. Reminded me of the Ibiza uncovered series and funnily enough it was on last night when i was viewing this thread. I had to google Dj sash and man was that a blast from the past. Didnt know he was still going. Welcome to 1997. The ball will still sell out though. Just an excuse to get completely smashed and you;d need to be with that line up, maybe some drugs aswell, actually alot of drugs.

Im not so sure about the SU giving some of the money to charity. If it was id reckoned it would be highly visibly so that we'd know how generous, benevolent and gracious the current SU are. It would be better served if the money was reinvested into whatever entertainments account they have so that they can attracted top djs/bands etc. The above lineup is an embarrassment. [shrug] if you can eat a kebab after a few drinks you can tolerate this.

fair enough, i was reacting to the fact that these seem to be the only things happening, though there are several of other things happening according to that graphic.
    as for the bands, it's not a matter of liking them or not, it's the fact that they're one-hit wonders who are basically useless and serve no purpose.
    the money would be better spent on providing drinks promos to get people in the door erly, or something beneficial to the vast majority of students. i'm pretty sure there aren;t any Sash or B*Witched fans who were asking for these bands. they're not good bands, stop kidding yourself, they're BS novelty acts and well you know it. yeah, the night is going to be fun, just like most event are fun in DCU regardless of whatever rubbish they put on.

thanks, i get out plenty and see the sun, often when i leave the DCU campus, you remember how to get out of DCU, right?

dude, lost it a bit, sorry about that and i live a good bit away from campus :) i know the way out :D
    c0rk3r wrote:
    Im not so sure about the SU giving some of the money to charity.

I'm sure your aware that RAG Week means Raise A Grand.. for charity like.. its the whole point of the week.. not just to get drunk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I was under the impression it meant Raise And Give. A Grand is a paltry sum given the amount of wealth in DCU's student population. If everyone gave a Euro you'd raise a few grand.

That amount is rather stingy.

While i'm not to sure on the history of name of the name "RAG Week", i do know that the general idea was to raise a grand every day of the week. Now this was twenty years ago when that type of money had a greater value. The name has simply stuck till this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

thedara wrote: »
    I'm sure your aware that RAG Week means Raise A Grand.. for charity like.. its the whole point of the week.. not just to get drunk..

Nope wasnt aware of that. No idea what it meant tbh. Thought it was just a piss up. I guess these things just lose their meaning in the same way christmas is the celebration of the birth of jesus christ superstar. yeah right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Briandamage

Unfortunatly the sad state of the line up is a just a reflection of the sad state of the musical taste (or lack of) amongst DCu students. The Cheese has it. That's DCU. The people in DCU who are into quality music are in the minority and are have little or no voice in the Student union. Gay and cheesy rules the roost with Union heads. Vengaboys was popular and they're just repeating more of the same. Rubbish first time around rubbish now. Not only can DCU not afford quality acts like Trinity or UCD, but they have no interest in quality when it comes to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Briandamage

And yes, it's f*cking embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah where to start, I'll see if I can hit a few of the main points anyway...

First off, something to note. 13 different people have posted so far, 3 of those people have not posted an opinion of either the events or the lineup, 5 people have said they're looking forward to them and another 5 have said they're not. While I'm aware this is only a small group just think about those figures while you think about all this...

Now, the subject of cheese. Unfortunately people cheese sells, you can moan about the fact that you don't like the bands in the lineup however the event will sell out, probably before most people will even get a ticket. Now, Rag Week, in case you didn't know, is all about charity. Yes we drink, we party and alot of people go a little bit nuts but the point of it is charity. The best way to help a charity in this case is to make money. The best way to make money is to appeal to the majority of students. The SU is there for the students and their aim is to put on a great week of activites and help make as much money as possible. Hence we have a lineup that will appeal to the majority of students. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this lineup will do just that.

Now, as for the actual quality of the acts. In my opinion they suck, that's me being totally honest however, if you look at my average play list you'll know why I think they suck, it's the polar opposite to the kind of music I listen to. Thankfully I'm not naive enough to think you could run a large event in DCU and hope to fill it by appealing to those students into Swedish Death Metal, guitar based blues/rock/jazz and some virtuoso guitar instrumentalists.
    On the other hand when I'm out with my friends be it in a pub or club this is the type of music that is on, it's the type of music that has everyone out dancing and it's the type of music that will attract large numbers of people. See people attending = money part of my post. :)

What did give me abit of a chuckle was the poster who gave out about Groove Armada and Sash and then wondered why we couldn't get a bigger act like Digitalism. Sorry, but even I, who borderline despises dance music while at home, knows about the former bands whereas only 1 person out of all the people I talked to about this today knew about them. Anyway, they're a) not in UCDs Rag Week so are irrelevant to this topic and b) demand a €16 ticket to go and see them on their own. As I'm sure you're aware, if you try charging that much into an event in DCU for one band, you'll see how popular it is.

On the issue of cover bands, I always find them great fun (assuming they're good) as they play music more to my tastes yet also appeal to the masses. In most cases they slot nicely into a lineup with other more established or original acts.

On the topic of the Rag Week itself and it's purpose, the aim is to raise €15,000 for the following charities - Ballymun Youth Action Project, Moving Mountains and the DCU Annual Fund whose purpose is to provide financial support to some of our most worthy campus projects. If you'd like further information on these charities or indeed the sums going to each of them I'm sure the SU or Shea himself will be able to fill you in on them.

As for the best act I've seen in DCU while there, that would be Rodrigo y Gabriela hands down. Don't forget Judge Jules, the Saw Doctors, Aslan (yes I know ;) ), Director, The Chalets, Blue Moose, Big Generator, The Revs (go'wan), Damien Rice and the various comedy acts over the years.

As for the lineup reflecting the "the sad state of the musical taste (or lack of) amongst DCU students" I would be more inclined to say it reflects said state of the country but hey, when was the last time Ireland produced some internationally renowned metal acts to please me? ;)

Yes, lets look at other colleges now. Many don't have Rag Weeks for one, others, take UCD for example, have a lineup which is totally inferior to ours despite the fact that they have over twice as many students as us. If you're going to make comparisons at least have a look at the competition before you
    do it.

Finally, some little one line responses..
    The people in DCU who are into quality music are in the minority and are have little or no voice in the Student union. Gay and cheesy rules the roost with Union heads.
    Yes, because having a good taste in music is vital to being a productive member of the SU and sexuality has a huge bearing on it too. :rolleyes:
    Vengaboys was popular and they're just repeating more of the same. Rubbish first time around rubbish now.
    Yes, lets forget about all that money raised last year, damn those pesky charities getting in the way of me hearing quality music while I'm off drinking with my mates!
    Not only can DCU not afford quality acts like Trinity or UCD, but they have no interest in quality when it comes to music.
    Mentioned this already, we have a nice budget for it, we just chose to spend it in a way which will enable us to fill the event and make some money for charity.

Right, that went on a little longer than I had hoped for, I think I got most of the points though. In fairness I can sympathize somewhat to peoples frustration to the excess cheese however I feel you're missing the point about what the week is all about. I also think that in thinking about your own tastes you're forgetting about the majority who are required to make the week successful. Would I like to see some variety? Of course! However it's impossible to cater for everyone's tastes and despite the fact that we have a decent budget for these events the money needs to go to acts which will ensure both a sold out event and packed coffers. In short, go along, give some money to worthy causes, have a good night with your mates and if you don't like the music just go out to the smoking areas or into the atrium of the Hub and hang out with a few beers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Firesuite

cooker3 wrote: »
    You said you'd never return!

Get me in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Unfortunatly the sad state of the line up is a just a reflection of the sad state of the musical taste (or lack of) amongst DCu students. The Cheese has it. That's DCU. The people in DCU who are into quality music are in the minority and are have little or no voice in the Student union. Gay and cheesy rules the roost with Union heads. Vengaboys was popular and they're just repeating more of the same. Rubbish first time around rubbish now. Not only can DCU not afford quality acts like Trinity or UCD, but they have no interest in quality when it comes to music.

Just a question, nothing else but what would you deem quality music? dance/rap/metal?? Again just a curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

The people in DCU who are into quality music are in the minority and are have little or no voice in the Student union.

what an arrogant comment to make.. may i ask what "quality" music your into?

so RagWeek is a bit of a cheese fest, so what? at least when its cheesy most people will go along for the laugh and end up having a good night. i absolutely hate judge jules, but had some laugh that night anyway. it seems the only way to keep people happy is to have a jukebox going year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i think its going to be a great week to be honest-for me rag week isnt about quality music-its about getting hammered with your mates for a week.vengaboys from a music point of view were ****e but it didnt matter-it was one of the best nights ive ever had in dcu.you can go to gigs with quality music any week of the year in venues all over dublin.rag week is about drink-simple as, nothing else.people drink from about noon everyday-even if if there were quality bands, most would be too drunk to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

My god! such venom! It's one night out, go to a gig if you want!

It's gonna be amazing, I can't wait!
    I'd rather see 2unlimited at a DCU ball than LCD Soundsystem for example, not that I don't love LCD, I think 2unlimited suits the buzz and so-bad-it's-amazing quality cheese DCU has captured so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

thedara wrote:

RAG = raise and give. An Oxbridge tradition that eventually caught on in other Irish universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

doonothing wrote: »
    My god! such venom! It's one night out, go to a gig if you want!

It's gonna be amazing, I can't wait!
    I'd rather see 2unlimited at a DCU ball than LCD Soundsystem for example, not that I don't love LCD, I think 2unlimited suits the buzz and so-bad-it's-amazing quality cheese DCU has captured so well!

Woah, woah, LCD are playing?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

No...? Random example!

Advertisement