Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants Available to Married Mature Students

Options
  • 06-02-2008 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I started a degree in Multimedia in September 07.
    I was recently declined a mature student grant as myself and my wifes combined incomes for 2006 were above the threshold.
    While I except that this would indicate that I have enough money to see me through college in 06 it is a different story in 07/08 and into the future.
    We have a mortgage and bills to pay something the grant application never asked about.:confused:

It would seem I would have been better off being unemployed for 2006 and most of 2007 selling our house and never getting married to avail of any support for mature students. :(

Are there any other grants that I could apply for that would take into consideration my outgoings aswell as my income?

I accept I will have to maintain part time work to make up the difference but I would rather not have to work 30-40hrs on top of college.

Comments

Hey Clone,

There are some other grants available, some of which are mentioned on http://www.studentfinance.ie/. There is also the Student Assistance Fund which you should keep in mind, since it is designed for anyone who might be experiencing hardship during their time in college. Not bottomless, but best to keep it in mind just in case.

As for grants that take your outgoings into account... I'm afraid that I haven't heard of anything unfortunately. At the very least, there may be some area of tax relief for your wife so it might be worth contacting the revenue commission to find out more about this.

Sorry I can't help more.

Dónal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I got married after first year.

I never got round to telling the VEC. :D

Advertisement