Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen...

Options
  • 06-02-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I want to organize a Audio show in the middle of this year aimed purely at Recording - that is not focused on my 'day job' selling.

We had a very successful one last July at a residential studio in Clara Co.Offaly where we invited over 22 industry guys from the UK and Europe. Including 4 Editors of Pro Audio magazines.
    We heaped a whole pile of gear (including 2 New Consoles!) into Joe's studio and plugged it up for all to enjoy....

This year I'm thinking of doing something similar, but with the emphasis on Producer/Engineers and what they can share with local lads. I am going to invite local name Producer/Engineers but there aren't that many.
    What I'm also thinking of doing is getting over some UK guys.

I've already invited Greg Haver who produced the Manics and Mel C
    http://www.myspace.com/greghaver
    and Tom Dalgety and Steve Evans who recently worked on Siousie Sioux's album which I think sounds great.

http://www.myspace.com/totalinvasion

Steve has also worked with Robert Plant.
    They've accepted my invite, provided they're not working.

Later this month I hope to meet Spike Stent and Cenzo Townshend who work out of Olympic in London.

http://www.recordproduction.com/townhouse_studios_cenzo_townshen.htm

Cenzo mixed Reverend and the Makers album, another recent favorite of mine. Let's see if I can tempt one or both of them.

I think that by meeting those sort of guys who work at a pretty high level, that a lot of the mystery of recording can be removed.

Most of the pro guys I've met are ordinary Music Lovers like ourselves who've had the same problems as we have - the only difference is they've worked out great solutions to those problems!

Let me know what you think of this as an Idea.... And I don't want to hear ' No, bad idea' or 'Yea,good idea', let me know why you think either way!

Nip over to

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=105369959

where you'll see photos of our event last July, which we called our Christmas Party as we've never actually held one in December!

Cheers Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I would be all over that like a tight dress. Sounds f'ing super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Cool - I'll see what other names I can round up before Summer - dealing with the brands open a lot of doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd attend if i am free on the day. Would be good to talk to someone like these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

stefano soffia is a local and hes done work for a fair few down in grouse lodge, he might be worth trying to get hold of for it

I'd attend if i am free on the day. Would be good to talk to someone like these people.

Indeed it will,
    I also hope to have Tim Vine-Lott over. He's Technical Manager of George Martin's AIR Studio. When we visited last year Coldplay and David Arnold (James Bond Soundtracks) were recording and in the main hall The London Philharmonic Orchestra.
    We visited in the afternoon, only to hear George Martin himself had been in that morning!

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    stefano soffia is a local and hes done work for a fair few down in grouse lodge, he might be worth trying to get hold of for it

Yes I know Stef , he was at our do last year and the SSL/PMC one a couple of weeks ago. He's just about to start the new Blizzards Album.

I hope he'll be with us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Here's a thought. Why don't you arrange a production shoot off?

Before the event - multi-track a band into Pro Tools (or whatever) & give each of the producers/attendees a go at it beforehand. You might even give them a verse & chorus each. T'would be fascinating to compare the results & I believe a great education for the rest of us. This would probably also be a good ice-breaker as it would allow the producers to talk about what they know best & would give the day a bit of structure.

What do you think?

JJ
    www.jjvernon.com

Good Idea, however I can't imagine Egos being up for that!

Doubt that would work. You'll have studio heads going against each other.....!
    Meant to learn something, not pit people to out do each other!

"Hey Man - why is your snare so bad?"............. EEEK!

• Advertisement

"Hey Man - my snare's fine.... at least you can hear the vocal in my mix".......

"That's true.... and the ridiculous compression on it"

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Egos? What a shame... I thought these chaps with a bit of success under their belts would be a bit less bashful & a little more more forthcoming with their knowledge. Still, it will be interesting listening to them telling us how great they are rather than listening to them showing us how great they are.;)

JJ
    www.info@jjvernon.com

It would be less of an issue if there was a definitive 'right' way to do things - however that's not the case. One man's Grammy is another man's Empty Thrash Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I would really like to meet and listen to producers who started from nada and worked there way up the ladder. Sounds like a great idea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Good Idea, however I can't imagine Egos being up for that!

They could always submit them anonymously per se so that only you, the organiser, knew who did what. That way everyone could discuss what they liked or disliked about each part without any fingers or credit being pointed in any one direction. It would free up discussion too about different techniques, people could guess what was going on where without knowing the engineers style already.

Just a thought on the matter.

Soundman wrote: »
    They could always submit them anonymously per se so that only you, the organiser, knew who did what. That way everyone could discuss what they liked or disliked about each part without any fingers or credit being pointed in any one direction. It would free up discussion too about different techniques, people could guess what was going on where without knowing the engineers style already.

Just a thought on the matter.

True, but I think with the amount of studio time it would take it's unrealistic, I'd prefer to spend time quizzin' these Buckos! Lets see what happens...it should be interesting either way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've just deleted a load of off-topic posts, lets try to keep it kosher everyone...

cornbb wrote: »
    I've just deleted a load of off-topic posts, lets try to keep it kosher everyone...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've just deleted a load of off-topic posts
    No, you just killed a very valid discussion, well done.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    No, you just killed a very valid discussion, well done.

The thread was becoming a farce and I dealt with it in a fitting manner after PMing two of the posters involved.

This is the third and final warning to keep this thread on-topic, the next offender will get banned. No more back-seat moderation please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The thread was becoming a farce and I dealt with it in a fitting manner after PMing two of the posters involved.

This is the third and final warning to keep this thread on-topic, the next offender will get banned. No more back-seat moderation please.
    How's the view?

Someone took exception to one user posting with commercial interests, there was a civilized discussion and your solution was to lock the thread prematurely. Not very clever at all. At no point did anybody take the thread "off topic", in fact it's as relevant as things get to Music Production and Paul was doing a grand job of explaining his corner.

But whatever, if it makes you feel better ban away oh mighty one, sure why not just lock the whole forum altogether.:rolleyes:

We're all big boys here ffs.

:rolleyes:

Congrats, you're the first person I've ever felt the need to ban from this forum. A sh*t-slinging match was what the thread was becoming, not a "civilised discussion".

Civilised discussion, less-than-civilised discussion, banter and whatever are all welcome on the forum, you've been here long enough to know that.

What happened here!!!

I agree with Savman. Paul was doing a good job of replying to those critics.

Anyway, is there any date set for this get together Paul?

What happened here!!!

Well it was turning nasty. I've no problem with people raising issues with how the forum was run as long as it is not made personal and doesn't drag a thread off-topic. I spoke with frobisher and with those involved and it was agreed that deleting the posts would be the way to go. If anyone wants to raise this or any other issue please do so in a new thread.

Any yes Paul, any updates on this event? If it amounts to free tuition for the likes of me I'm all for it ;)

What happened here!!!

Anyway, is there any date set for this get together Paul?

Midsummer is the plan , it's our quietest time so gives me an opportunity to get things sorted.

I'll make a (timid) post around the time!

Advertisement