Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Galaxy

Options
  • 06-02-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

So the family is expanding and the Honda CRV is no longer big enough wrt to number of seats. As such I've done a good bit of research and pretty much come to the conclusion that a Ford Galaxy or S-Max is the way to go (7 seats, confort, etc). My question however rotates around the engines available.

Looking at the options on a 2006 a diesel is the way to go, however, there's is two options from this the 1.8TDCi or the 2.0TDCi. Now obviously the 2 litres puts out more power and torque, but is is worth the extra cost? The Galaxy is a bus to say the least so I'd imagine that the extra 200cc could be needed? Anyone know?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any big benefit for waiting to import one of these until July as the 2.0 is currently VRT'd at 30%, where as the 1.8TDCi is 25%. For the 2.0TDCi this will drop to 28% but tax will be in around the same, the 1.8 will drop to 24% - small figures in the grand scale of the car.

So... 2.0TDCi or 1.8TDCi?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If the road tax is negligable in the bigger scheme of things regarding the 1.8 & 2.0 then it comes down to running costs (mpg) and which will cost you more and if you can cope with slightly lower mpg on the larger engine.
    Honda's FR-V is a 6 seater MPV if you hadn't considered it (3 up front & 3 in back) if you want to stick with a Honda? Fiat do the Multipla 6 seater (3 front & 3 rear) too but is not very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well if its only the running costs (which are quite small to be fair) then fair enough. Really I was checking if the 2.0/1.8 was an older engine and which is overall better to go for. It seems strange to be offering two engines sizes in diesel with such similar CC.

Re the FRV, I test drove one and it's not for me. Honda claim is a 6 seater
    (3 + 3), but in reality its more is a (2.5 + 2.5). Fully loaded with people and there is no space in the boot. Also, over here the 1.8 is sluggish to say the least.... I could import a diesel from the UK, but there's simply not enough space in it.

As for the multipla... ugggh... (sorry! :D)

Advertisement