Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Fired Oven

• 06-02-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever build a wood fired oven for the garden. I have some information already, books, a cd form an aussie expert etc. Looking for first hand experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

No but we're hoping to buy one. There are many companies online selling them and you then build your own outer shell. Would be great for heating outdoor seating area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Buying isn't an option - I found that they are extremely expensive - £4.5k for a unit similar to that on Jaime Olivers programme.

Would rather build one.

Minder you can get them for about 1400euros I think. Will find out and pm you a link if you wish...let me know??

Builderwoman - if you have a supplier that cheap I would like to see it - pm me the details please.

I just found these resources

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Instruction-Manuals-and-eBooks-p-1-c-260.html

The instruction manuals are free to download. Registration required. Select the manuals in the shopping basket, go to checkout. Register details (no payment details required), then receive an email with the download link.

I have the manual for the Pompeii oven - a brick built dome oven - exactly what I was looking for. There are plans in the manual for two sizes of oven. All materials are described and should be available at the local DIY - refractory bricks are available from online suppliers.

Minder wrote: »
    Builderwoman - if you have a supplier that cheap I would like to see it - pm me the details please.

I just found these resources

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Instruction-Manuals-and-eBooks-p-1-c-260.html

The instruction manuals are free to download. Registration required. Select the manuals in the shopping basket, go to checkout. Register details (no payment details required), then receive an email with the download link.

I have the manual for the Pompeii oven - a brick built dome oven - exactly what I was looking for. There are plans in the manual for two sizes of oven. All materials are described and should be available at the local DIY - refractory bricks are available from online suppliers.

Try http://www.difiore-forni.it/index_eng.html
    Very good and well priced.
    Let me know what you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 diarmait

I've found the same resources as yourselve. I was looking at that Aussie site but didn't get CD, is it any good? Some good books on Amazon. Did you source refractory bricks anywhere in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Guys this is the most detailed set of construction details I have found for a project like this so far. Enjoy http://www.ozarkdreams.com/BrickOven.htm

diarmait wrote: »
    I've found the same resources as yourselve. I was looking at that Aussie site but didn't get CD, is it any good? Some good books on Amazon. Did you source refractory bricks anywhere in Ireland?

I haven't looked at the CD yet to be honest.

The best book of the few I got is this..

The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens

Paperback: 250 pages
    Publisher: Chelsea Green Pub Co (22 Nov 2002)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 1890132055
    ISBN-13: 978-1890132057

As for refractory brick, I live in the UK. Hanworth are the only refractory brick manufacturer I could find, asked for a quotation but got no response. I did see some on Ebay, but too far away to collect. So it is trawling the reclamation yards next.

Try http://www.difiore-forni.it/index_eng.html
    Very good and well priced.
    Let me know what you think?

Thanks for the tip - TBH part of the plan is to have the satisfaction of building one rather than buying a ready made oven. Also I couldn't find a price list on the site.
    Guys this is the most detailed set of construction details I have found for a project like this so far. Enjoy http://www.ozarkdreams.com/BrickOven.htm

HF, the details on that site are based on designs by Rado Hand - he is the aussie builder mentioned in previous posts who sends the CD out for a donation. Thanks for the link - some useful piccs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Has anyone in Ireland actually gone ahead and built one of these.

Are all the materials available here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

know someone who built a clay oven for doin pizzas that the kinds thing your looking for? hes firing it up this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Sean I plan to build an oven over the next months and have just started my research. The fornobravo site seems to be good and there is a forum attached with a lot of good information. Personally i'd love to build something that is portable as well like the woody oven in Australia. Where are you based, I'm in Drogheda and if you want to share info and plans let me know. Ps you can buy a kit oven in France for about €300 (Castorama)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emese

hi everyone. we are hoping to have a beehive (clay) oven built next month but i'm finding it hard to get all the materials. would anyone know about where to get (affordable) terracotta bricks, flat tiles, fire proof clay sheets, etc.? any info would be great! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

emese

Did you source the materials for your build? The only supplier of refractory materials and fire-bricks etc in Ireland that I know of is... Dineen refractories in Athy CO.Kildare..... http://www.dineensales.com/Products.aspx?P_CatID=3

If you want to make a traditional clay oven, then the clay which is excavated from building sites and any deep trenchwork is perfect.....they also have to pay to have the clay (which is below the sub soil) taken away.

If you want a little bit more info on building a wood-fired oven with clay.....these links of clay oven builds may help you....

http://balinsky.com/gallery/coboven
    https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0ARo3eDT7sPIbZGhrcDRmOXpfOGYyOGozZGZj&hl=en&authkey=CL2plZgO
    http://www.wwwhappyclaymixer.blogspot.com/

Here is another link to a clay oven build with downloadable plans of a cob build..... http://clayoven.wordpress.com/

Hope this is of some use to you.

All the best with your build.....

Terry

hi Terry and thank you for your reply!
    I had a quick look at the links. Ours is an inside oven (it will heat our house though underground heating) not outside like all those and i havent seen anything like it here or even on any websites. It has been built in the meantime and looks amazing :) I'd attach a picture but im not on my comp at the moment.

emese

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of your oven.

I run a wood-fired oven info site (non-commercial) and have never come across an oven like you have described. I am always looking for titbits of info which I can pass to others so I am really interested in your oven build.

Terry

Here it is, our baby :)

emese

What a beautiful oven. Can the top chamber be used for cooking?

Have you any more pics of the actual oven build?

Sorry to sound nosey, but I am very interested and would love to know who built it for you.

Terry

Hi Terry!
    Thanks for the compliments, i think it's pretty amazing myself :)
    Yes, the top chamber is an oven, but you can also use the bottom one (the fire) for cooking/baking.
    I documented the whole process, i have lots of videos and pictures of the building of it.
    A hungarian bee hive oven builder built it, it's his profession, and this is what he does for a living. Here is his website, have a look at his work:
    http://www.kemenceepites.hu/galeria/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Irish Seed Savers in Scarrif built one a while ago, which featured on Richard Corrigan's foodie program on RTE. I'm sure the people there would be more than happy to let you know how it's going. GREAT PLACE.

• Advertisement

Emise

Thanks for the info back on how your oven operates. Your oven builders website is very impressive and I have sent a nice e-mail to him complimenting him on his fine work (I hope that's OK)

Looking forward to any pics or vids of the oven build that you put on the forum/your blog etc.

Terry

And he is a really nice guy too, not to mention his amazing work! I'm sure he'll be flattered to read your email. (after i translate it for him :)
    Did you find the building process on his website?

....Yes...thank-you Emise......along with all his other work

...What a clever chap he is !!!

Terry

He is amazing... Watching him build ours made me want to learn the trade!!

Minder

This is a polite little apology for jumping on the interesting thread that you created.

If you are still following this thread, I would like to ask if you ever got round to building your own wood-fired oven?

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

emese wrote: »
    He is amazing... Watching him build ours made me want to learn the trade!!

Wow. So, how much all in, to get him to build an oven?

It cost us all in all around 1600. That included ALL materials and even his flight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Hey... I've been thinking about this too for about 2 months now. Will definately do it, but money is tight (wedding... ah)

Question I have is this.... do the bricks have to be clay bricks? Concrete bricks are no good I assume. (Just asking cause I can get these free)

Planning on designing and building my own, but it might be a while before I get going, possible next summer even. Too much work to do in the garden this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

i've been thinking of posting up about doing this previously.
    I built one in spring 2010 & its been great. Cost about 15e in total - and that was for sand that I've since used on another project.
    Clay from a river behind the house, some bricks from a now nama owned site and other odds and ends.
    I built into a rockery and sunk an old charcoal BBQ beside it with herbs planted around them.
    I've a small temp guage in it & have got up to 450degrees. Used it 4-5times last year with great results for baked spuds, pizzas and stuffed mushrooms.
    It survived the harsh winter without a crack and used it a few wks ago to do mackrel and some slow roast meat - mackrel was lovely, but the meat went too leathery.
    If you're in Galway there's a great one in the ballybane community garden across from the library.

• Advertisement

Harry21, are you thinking of an inside or an outside oven? Ours is inside and heats our underfloor heating (only heating in the house) as well as we can bake in it of course. I thought the 1600 for what we got is a really good price.
    Yes, the bricks have to be clay! They are fire proof and hold the heat for days!

liamhana, yours is an outside one, different ballgame to the inside one. Yes, they ARE easier/cheaper and less "responsiblility" to build. And if it doesn't work, you can try again :)

Advertisement