Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Magnet Broadband Issue

• 06-02-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have just bought an eircom netopia 2247 wireless router , 2 days ago, and as you know it doesnt have a WAN port , it only has an ADSL port.

My problem is as follows:
    I have magnet fibre to the home broadband and they installed a Packet Front 8 port switch which privides 7 public ip addresses.

I can connect 2 PC's to the switch and both get 87.x.x.x addresses and can access the net fine. The problem is they can not ping each other hence no network. I need to install another router in between the Packet Front switch and my 2 PC's.

Is it possible to conect one of the eircom netopia's 2247 LAN ports(as the netopia has no WAN port) to the Packet Front and run 2 PC's from lan pots 2 and 3 on the netopia - essentially using one of the LAN ports as a WAN port.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Which model Packet Front? DRG 200?

You won't be able to use a Netopia 2247 for what you have in mind because it won't do NAT between LAN sockets. You need a router with an ethernet WAN port (cable broadband router) for that.

Have you asked Magnet? If you install an 8 port managed switch as Customer Premesis Equipment, customers will obviously want to use it to share files and printers on their home network.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

Ok - I have solved the problem. It was an error on my part. The reson I couldn't ping either PC is because of Noton Firewall. This has now been fixed and my wireless laptop(connected wirelessly to the netopia which in turn is wired to a packetfront LAN port) can share files with my desktop connected directly to the packet front.

I think it's a drg 200 - it looks like the one on their web site.

I also had to enable bridging on the wireless router to pass the public address's sent from the switch onto my laptop.

I can now stream movies and music from my wireless laptop and wired desktop to my xbox 360 which is connected to another netopia LAN port.

Turns out I didn't require a router with a WAN port surprisingly enough but thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Well you would need one if you wanted a private network (eg. 192.168.x.x addresses) and NAT to the internet but since you got it running using public IP addresses... :cool:

I suggest you check if the DRG is firewalling ports 137, 138, 139, 445 from upstream. If not, you may find your shares under a brute-force password attack from a botnet. You could configure your client firewalls to allow traffic only from 87.x.x.x addresses on these ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

2 x network cards and 1 x cross over cable
    put them on a 192.168.0.x range.

Problem solved full internet access using the magnet router and full LAN access.

Advertisement