Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash Repairs - A Haven for Rip-offs?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

As discussed in a previous thread I was involved in a minor enough accident 2 weeks ago.

I took my hurt car along to a crash repairs place for a quote. I am claiming on the other guy's insurance.

Anyway, the guy took a quick look and straight away he asked who was at fault and is the third party's insurance company paying for the damage?

Now, I only realised after this but why on earth does he need to know this??
    Is he asking this to see how much he can possibly extort out of the insurance company knowing that I will not challenge it?

I am going to get another quote anyway but from the few phone calls I have made it seems this is a standard question, but why on earth do they need to know apart from the above reason!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It may be as you think that he can make a few extra bob, but at the same time it may well be the case that insurance co's expect work done for an amount less than a private individual would get charged by a bodyshop. It could also be a case of having to wait to get paid later on and not at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

TomMc wrote: »
    It may be as you think that he can make a few extra bob, but at the same time it may well be the case that insurance co's expect work done for an amount less than a private individual would get charged by a bodyshop. It could also be a case of having to wait to get paid later on and not at the time.

good points Tom but in relation to your last point, I would not go ahead and get the work done until the insurance company actually pay it..but yes, if this carries on for a long time I will have to get it done so I can get it through the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

good points Tom but in relation to your last point, I would not go ahead and get the work done until the insurance company actually pay it..but yes, if this carries on for a long time I will have to get it done so I can get it through the NCT.
    I think what Tom means is that the crash repair place would be paid directly by your insurance company, who may not pay immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Something as simple as : If it's out of your pocket pal I'll use non-branded parts and save you a few bob. If the insurance company is paying I'll get brand parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Guy I dealt with asked about insurance, told him it wasn't being paid by insurance then he gave me a quote.
    On further explanation told him the bill would be paid by company who owned the car that hit mine.
    He then got annoyed and just said that it would cost more as it would have to go through the books due to VAT etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Guy I dealt with asked about insurance, told him it wasn't being paid by insurance then he gave me a quote.
    On further explanation told him the bill would be paid by company who owned the car that hit mine.
    He then got annoyed and just said that it would cost more as it would have to go through the books due to VAT etc..

ah right, i see! it's all a bit shady but I'll continue on my quest for quotes.

Advertisement