Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asus eeepc and O2 mobile broadband modem E220

Options
  • 06-02-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

when using the above I get the following error :

"receive serial link is not 8 bit clean

"all had bit 7 set to 0"

and the connection is dropped .. running the default linux OS BTW

any one come accross this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your setup is not correct.
    Google on Linux and E220
    The USB modems are actually serial via USB devices and logically very similar to analogue Dialup serial modems, even down to recognising AT commands.
    some resource script is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

watty wrote: »
    Your setup is not correct.
    Google on Linux and E220
    The USB modems are actually serial via USB devices and logically very similar to analogue Dialup serial modems, even down to recognising AT commands.
    some resource script is wrong.

I'm using the default setup, which acording to other posts works OOTB with other providers .. I'm thinking it may be a timing issue with the O2 PPP server??

yes but some serial port handler .rcs thingy may be different on your install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

By the way (off topic alert!) how do you find the eee pc? I'm interested in getting one but will probably wait until they release the rumoured bigger screen models as I've heard horizontal scrolling is needed for some webpages. Is this the case? Hopefully you've managed to get on line to check this out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

yes scrolling is required on some web pages but if you use XP apparently there is a hack to increase resolution

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DgVnA-OLImo

• Advertisement

I have a 1600x1200 laptop and sometimes have to scroll stupid sites sideways. And almost all sites up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Don't know about you Watty but I read from left to right (maybe you look at a lot of Chinese sites?) so having to scroll horizontally at the end of each line would be a bit of a pain in the ar*e. Can't say I've come across too many web pages that need >1200 horizontal res. although lots of them need >800. Having said that at least most of them are designed so that the main content of the page fits on a lower res screen.

What we need is 3000 x 1400 virtual screen automatically scrolled by your eye pointing direction..

Use a 320x240 mobile phone on RTE or BBC websites for a week and then you will find the Eee PC fine.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I have an EEE - the scrolling can be a bit tiresome but it's a great little machine.

Wish I spoke Linux enough to put Opera on it - very impressed with Opera mobile for my N70.

BTW, a mate at work uses the Vodafone E220 with Vodafone - worked fine out of the box, he runs the default config too.

Advertisement