Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband & Monitored Alarm Install?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I was considering getting Eircom broadband for my parents, however they already have a monitored Eircom alarm, and Ericom states on their website that they "recommend" a technican comes out to modify the alarm for 85euro.

Does anyone know if this is absolutely necessary ? Or what risks there are if the technican is not called out ? :confused:

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Basically everything that uses the phone line in your house (phones, faxes, Sky, alarms) needs to be filtered. This is essential for it to work correctly because your BB could experience the following if you don't...

- Slow speeds
    - Intermittent connection
    - Disconnections randomly
    - Disconnections when phone rings
    - Loss of service at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

ok, thanks, sounds like a necessity then !

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

When Eircom came out to adjust my PhoneWatch alarm wiring so that I could get DSL they set it up so that I didn't need to install filters on any connections in the house. The router is plugged in in the sitting room and none of the other phone dependent devices like Sky Box's or phone extensions needed the filters on the lines. They installed some white junction box where the line comes into the house ans splits off to the alarm and off to the other phone points around the house. Its really neat, well worth the €85.

Advertisement