Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for Taxi

Options
  • 06-02-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,

I am changing my car shortly and was wondering as Taxi would Diesel be better then petrol regarding wear and tear of engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

one word--yes! Doing the amount of driving you would be doing as a taxi driver, diesel would be the way to go...even the economical side of it. Wear and tare on the engine...if you are doing the same miles in a petrol vs a diesel...the wear and tare is the exact same!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Diesel would be far better.

Many taxi drivers go for the Jap-import Toyota Camry 2.2TD. Many have autos too which is handy for city driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Aren't fuel costs offsettable against tax, so the economy of a diesel doesn't really come into the cost equation?

A taxi driver friend of mine had a 1992 Camry 2.2 petrol. It gave no major trouble and he got rid of it at 320,000 miles as it was getting tatty. He replaced it with a 1998 Camry 2.2 petrol, auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Think there is a new law comin in where all new taxis must be under 8 years of age.. or something along those lines.
    Diesels are built heavier and stronger and as far as i'm aware you can claim the vat back on it, although i could be wrong here... someone is bound to correct me if i am!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

slideways wrote: »
    Think there is a new law comin in where all new taxis must be under 8 years of age.. or something along those lines.
    Diesels are built heavier and stronger and as far as i'm aware you can claim the vat back on it, although i could be wrong here... someone is bound to correct me if i am!

Have heard similiar myslf alright.

Diesel def makes more sense for a taxi and a automatic if you a city driver.
    Friend of mnie bought a diesel Passat last year reckons it runs on the smell of it and the comfort of the drive cant be beatin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're contemplating starting taxiing forget about it. The cream is well gone of the milk, there's even hardly any milk left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Advertisement