Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist

Options
  • 06-02-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Hope someone can advise me.

I went to the Dentist last year and I was told I didn't qualify for PRSI so I had to pay the full amount.

I went 6 times over 2 months and on my last visit I was told that I had been charged the PRSI rate instead of the normal rate for people without contributions.

She then said she would need to re-calculate each visit and advise me of a new price and let me know how much more I owed from each previous visit.

Is this allowed - Can she do this? I know I should have been paying a higher price but I was charged an amount each visit and then to be told I owe more is a little annoying.

I got a letter today asking for another €300 :(

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I dont see why they wouldnt be entitled to ask for the extra money. Did they tell you that you didnt qualify before they started treatment? Did you give any indication to them that you were entitled to the PRSI rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Good question. Do you have any receipts for what you did pay?

You went along, were quoted a price, paid that price, now they want to charge you more. I'd be thinking it's though poo on them. Think about it, if you went into a shop and bought a magazine, were told it was 5 euro and paid, then left the shop. If the retailer then realises it should have been 6 euro, could they chase you down the street looking for the extra? I don't think so.

The transaction is done, you paid the agreed price and that's that. The nature of services like this is that the price is never displayed, so you take their word that the cost is what they say it is. If you were given an estimate before any procedure, then when you came for the procedure were told it was actually going to cost more, then fair enough. You were told a price before the procedures, and you paid that bill.

If they insist on the extra payment, then walk away. Find a different dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Beano wrote: »
    I dont see why they wouldnt be entitled to ask for the extra money. Did they tell you that you didnt qualify before they started treatment? Did you give any indication to them that you were entitled to the PRSI rate?

They did tell me I wasn't entitled to PRSI as I had been living in the UK in 2005 so didn't have any contributions.

The fact is the dentist gave me a slip after every session and the receptionist then charged me the price the dentist had wrote down.

Therefor I was under the impression that was the amount I was to be charged as a Non PRSI customer.

On my last session she looked back on her notes and said "Ooops I have been charging you the PRSI amount so I will need to add on X amount"

I paid that day for that session and later received a letter informing me of the charges I owed.

I just think it was her problem and she didn't quote me properly - I was under the impression that I had paid in full up to that date.

Thanks Jor-El for your advice - Should I send them a letter or give them a call or just ignore them.

I have received about 3 letters now asking for the money. It's the same everytime just asking for payment.

Would this give me a bad credit rating if I refused to pay or could she take it further?

Thanks

The extra info clears things up a bit. dont pay and see what happens. The only way it can affect your credit rating is if they get a court judgement against you. If if gets that far consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

This is very similar to what happened to me - I went to the dentist, he asked would I qualify for prsi - i said no, he charged me the prsi rates, and after three sessions (I paid after each session) he got his secretary to call me to say I had been charged PRSI rates and there was a balance to pay - I was livid. I paid what was asked each session (this dentist is a bit money hungry in my opinion), and I never told him to charge me the different rate - on the phone to secretary I told her to cancel my next appointment and left her under no illusion that it was her problem and to basically get stuffed.

Do NOT pay - they stuffed up so they have to live with it, such is life.

I am not even convinced it is legal to charge different amounts to people based on their PRSI rates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

dublad23 wrote: »
    They did tell me I wasn't entitled to PRSI as I had been living in the UK in 2005 so didn't have any contributions.

You can transfer your UK contributions if you have any.

fullirish wrote: »
    Do NOT pay - they stuffed up so they have to live with it, such is life.

I am not even convinced it is legal to charge different amounts to people based on their PRSI rates!

some dental treatments are government subsidised for those with enough prsi stamps hence the difference

Advertisement