Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The not so Great debate on TNA

• 06-02-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Glen Gilbertti (current TNA agent I think) versus Konnan: http://www.wrestlezone.com/column.php?articleid=203897307

After listening for 13 minutes I have come to the following conclusions:

- I hate Glen Gilbertti.

- TNA is doomed if everybody has his attitude in the company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I meant to give this a listen a while ago. Is it worth listening to, Vince?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read a recap of this interview the other day. Gilberti just doesn't get it and he's great at twisting things around. His whole argument is based on TNA getting higher ratings. But what do higher ratings matter if everything else stays the same? Mainly PPV buyrates. Their ratings went up last year but their buyrates went down, that is not a success in my eyes. It basically means that you're reaching more people with your product but less people are buying it. It'd be like if Tayto expanded to France but they ended up selling less crisps overall. That's not a success

When Konnan criticised the Nash/Joe heel/face friend/foe thing Gilberti in the end said to blame Joe, not creative. As if what happened on tv is the way Joe actually acts and they have no control in making the story easier to understand

Gilberti also criticised the Orton/Hardy feud! The fans really bought into that in a big way. It's completely missing the point to just dismiss that feud. He reminded me of Russo when he called some things WWE do "predictable". As in Russo's idea of unpredictable is something which just doesn't make sense. You can be unpredictable while still making sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Completely agree with Gillberttti, although I wish he would have talked more about TNA more instead of pointing out the flaws in WWE.

Completely agree with Gillberttti, although I wish he would have talked more about TNA more instead of pointing out the flaws in WWE.

So you disagree with my post? That TNA's buyrates going down while their ratings went up was a success? That it's perfectly fine that Joe and Nash are so hard to understand and that it's not creative's fault? And that the Orton vs Jeff feud was nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Completely agree with Gillberttti

Somebody get this man to a doctor! There is something very wrong! I listened to the "who killed WCW" debate and the man is delusional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Minto wrote: »
    I meant to give this a listen a while ago. Is it worth listening to, Vince?

Erm, if you want to get annoyed it is. To be fair, Gilberti seems like he's just a bit of a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Konnan is bitter because TNA wouldn't pay for his surgery and could only loan him the money so he is utterly biased and in my opinion has no credibility when he talks about TNA.

And for Gilberti see below. It's quite the accurate synopsis.
    THE PROBLEM WITH THE WRESTLING BUSINESS: PART ONE
    By: Raven

Part of the problem with the wrestling business today is that there are too many arm chair bookers buffoons like Glenn Gilbernetti, for example. He insists that title belts are meaningless (much like his life) which is unquestionably the single most moronic thing I have heard since he tried to tell me that Kanyon was straight. The reason he claims (albeit foolishly) that title belts are meaningless is because he believes that no one could possibly care about a fake belt. That reasoning has more holes in it than his unstylishly ripped jeans. Using his asinine logic, no one should care about the monster in Cloverfield because it’s really just some guy in a rubber suit.

No matter what fictional entertainment field you’re engrossed in, be it movies, TV, wrestling, or the opera, you, as an audience member agree to suspend disbelief (not unlike Glenn got suspended in school for being a sissymary). Whether it’s the world of magic for Harry Potter, or the world of the TV show X files, or any other show, book, or what have you, each has its own unique world with its own unique rules. Things that did happen in Harry Potter, like flying on a broom, would look totally foolish and ruin any credibility on a show like Journeyman, yet looks perfectly believable in its own setting. Peter Parker being bitten by a radioactive spider and climbing the walls of Hogwarts would make Harry Potter readers cry foul.

Wrestling has its own unique rules and vernacular and having a midget blow up a boat to kill Sting (which WCW in its infinite stupidity once did) is completely farfetched because of its placement in the supposed real world. Someone should have been arrested for attempted murder. Unfortunately wrestling is sometimes booked in a vacuum where situations like that and Paul White the Giant falling off of Cobo Arena only to miraculously be unscathed are thought to be clever when in actuality all they do in a best case scenario is insult loyal viewers and in a worst case scenario turn people off the product for good. Wrestling is at its best when it’s based in the real world and events are treated as they would be in the real world. What amuses me most about Glenn Gilbernetti besides his four year old like exuberance for stupidity, and his cloying yet obnoxious desire to be loved is that by all rights, what I am writing is something that he should be in agreeance with.

He forced me to listen to a recent article he wrote while gleefully twisting his handlebar moustache like some 1940’s villain as his dog Muttley snickered nearby after tying me to the tracks as an oncoming train approached. He stated that these IWFs (Internet Wrestling Fans) are hurting the business and goes on to elaborate, that it is because they champion these non working cruiserweights who don’t sell and kill credibility. He claims they sell for eight seconds and stop, but I would venture to say that he is being exceedingly generous and three or four seconds is more likely. He also misses the boat by not mentioning that this supposed “selling” that they are doing is not actually selling. When they do stop running around, they go from registering to dying.

There is a whole entire range of emotion and body language on the selling scale that could be encapsulated let’s say for babyfaces as simply as 1)no selling, 2) registering, 3) selling a little, 4) selling some more, 5) selling a lot, 6) selling to the point of hopelessness for the fan that you will ever recover, 7)no hope of recovery,8)signs of life, 9)more signs of life, 10) the possibility that with enough fan encouragement, you can possibly turn this thing around, 11)fire, 12) more fire, 13)fighting back, 14) comeback, 15)the post comeback, pre-finish full body fire to signify to the people that you are back in control and the heel is gonna pay. Also, let us not forget, that one’s body should still show how wracked with pain it is from step 8-step 15 and on through the rest of the match. Understand this, just b/c you are fired up and back in control, does not mean you should be hurting any less. It only means that you have found a way to fight through the pain with the help of the fans support. That is why people love wrestling, b/c they feel like they are a part of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Atleast Raven is unbiased and intelligent, Gilberti is a never was who thinks hes contributed something to wrestling and really thinks he knows what he is talking about when really he is clueless, i'd have far more time for Raven than that Disco Inferno ****ing eejit

I haven't read or heard anything from Raven in a good while, he always talks a lot of sense

Advertisement