Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beret!!

• 06-02-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

hi guys does anyone khow where i can get a step by set guide to shaping an rdf beret?? or if u can get one?? tried wetting it and sumone said fold it and leave it on a rad but these didnt work for me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

assuming its the same(apart from colour) as the PDF one just cut out the black silk thing from inside it, then put it in scalding water for a min or two, put it on your head when its cool enough and grab the right hand side and PULL it down your face, quite hard until it looks a nice shape, then wear it for half an hour and then fold it trying to keep as much shape as possible then stick it on the rad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭-aurora

take out the inside plactic althought technically that is damage to gov property...don mind that bull!! take off the cap badge and soak the beret in warm water. put it on your head-while still wet.. and position the spot where your cap badge would go over your left eye. then pinch just right of where the leather stiffner is inside the beret and fold over the right side of the beret to the right just a small bit below or touching the tip of your ear. it will take alot of moving around and smoothing out but get it as best you can and let it dry out a bit on your head, be carefull not to leave it too long or you'll get a cold, i know because i did!.then when you have the basic shape you want take it off and fold it so it stays in shape. pop it under your matress and sleep on it. the next day fit it on again and make the necessary adjustments and pop it back under your matress, when ya take it back out it should be grand. also either cut or, stitch the ties at the back once you've decided how tight you want it.
    hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Or you can do it the proper way. :D

Its not similar to the PDF beret..the material is worse.

Put it in a sink of water and soak it.

Remove it from the water and ring it out to remove any shape it currently has.

Put it on your head, while wet, and shape it.

Then wear it for an hour or two, constantly re-shaping it to what you want.

Take it off your head.

Leave it in the shape you want and put it down.

Let it dry NATURALLY, don't put it on a radiator.

Every now and then as its drying go back to it and make sure its shaping correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

so do you cut the inside of it out?
    how is the badge on the front attached and then shape it down to the right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

sorry for getting of tipic but i have a quick one for you........

the bow on the back of the beret does it have a meaning?

i head somewhere that it is disrespectful to deceased members of the defence forces to have it untied.

is this true????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

You can leave it in if you wish. I cut mine out.

To put the badge on

Push the badge onto the beret where its ment to be placed.

Push it hard against the green square.

Remove it asnd you will see two indents in the green square.

Take a mulittool and carefully cut into these indents until you go through to the other side.

Replace the badge onto the beret.

Look on the inside and the two prongs of the badge should be visible.

Now oush the retaining pin through both prongs and the badge will be held in place.

This is best done before the beret is shaped.

As you are shaping the beret remove the badge and replace it when you are finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

so do you cut the inside of it out?

ah its a no-brainer, theres a loose silky bit so ya just pierce it with a scissors and cut it all out around the edges! youd be holding the beret upside down to do it if ya get me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

thanks for all the help. used ur method kingstew worked first go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Also use a safey pin the hold it in shape after it is moulded when wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

sorry for getting of tipic but i have a quick one for you........

the bow on the back of the beret does it have a meaning?

i head somewhere that it is disrespectful to deceased members of the defence forces to have it untied.

is this true????

Yeah it's supposed to be a sign of respect for the deceased member.

• Advertisement
Advertisement