Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Bulldog

Options
  • 06-02-2008 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where i could get an English Bulldog anywhere in Munster? Preferably a pup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jj1310

Look up Donedeal.ie and type in Bulldog. Pups in Clare added in the last two days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do you know about the risks with this breed?
    Serious health problems. Make no mistake about it, English Bulldogs are grossly deformed and modern breeders, especially show breeders, perpetuate the health problems with every litter they produce. It's been said that if you feel like supporting your vet with great chunks of money, get an English Bulldog. They suffer from hip problems, heart problems, and skin problems. Their compromised respiratory system makes it very risky to anesthetize them.
    Many Bulldogs can't even walk normally, or run without gasping for breath. Many of them struggle to breathe in hot or humid weather. In the summer they should be kept in air-conditioning and supervised during outside activity so they don't over-exert themselves and become overheated.

quoted from:
    http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bulldogs.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I have read all about them for the last year or so, i know the risks and im prepared to take one on. I appreciate your concern though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Well with all their inherant problems, its quite likely you might find one in a shelter .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

We have French Bulldogs that we brought from Holland, the rules there are to keep the breed as "clean" as possible (try to keep the inherited illnesses to a minimum) they are only allowed to produce 2 litters per bitch. The more puppies a bitch has, the weaker the breed and in turn a lot of health problems. I would do a lot of research into the breeder before buying.

Bulldogs are great fun to have though, French and English Bulldog have very similair characters, you will have great fun with them. Are you ready for their stubborness? You have to be extremely consistent with Bulldogs too.
    Good Luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

try www.gumtree.ie if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

melion i hope you go yoursef a english bulldog .i have a a lovely one ,i have also had bullys before and i know they are very loving -if for some reason you did not manage to get one --if you look on the english websites you will find that there is over 25 breeders in northern ireland-and a lot more in the uk.i always bring mine over to ireland every year on holiday - and he attracts a lot of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Here is the contact for the bulldog club of ireland.
    If you give her a ring they will put you in contact with reputable breeders. Be very wary of ads in the papers or online as most are not genuine and only breed for money, so just be careful.

Mrs. T. Owens
    Owenview Kennels, Glenanareen, Brittas, Co. Dublin
    (01-4582377) (Mob.086-4056824)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Also be wary of reputable breeders as just because they are in a club and show dogs doesn't mean you are going to get a perfect specimen.
    A lot of so called reputable breeders use questionably methods to get the dogs they way they want them, that is how a breed like the English Bulldog got to the state it is in now.

So, don't just thrust anyone who is a member of the kennel club and/or is reputable. Do your own research on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

This is my dream dog. Would love to own one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well you have more chance of getting a good dog from a person who knows what thy are doing, im not saying a perfect specimen, but at least breeding wise most people that are involved in clubs or recommended by the IKC know what they are doing and are not in it for the money, thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I just looked at that donedeal site. Holy cow!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/831872

How on earth can they have four litters ready to go a few weeks before christmas?

andreac wrote: »
    Well you have more chance of getting a good dog from a person who knows what thy are doing, im not saying a perfect specimen, but at least breeding wise most people that are involved in clubs or recommended by the IKC know what they are doing and are not in it for the money, thats all.

Debatable. The IKC doesn't recommend breeders, and there are no strict requirements for being a member. So there is no guarantee that if you buy a dog that is IKC reg'ed that you are buying it from a breeder who it breeding for the good of the breed rather than just money.

Of course, start your research by contacting the IKC, but don't just take it as given that every member is an ethical breeder. All I'm saying is, yes go to IKC breeders, but also make sure that within that group you are buying from someone who can demonstrate to you that they are reputable breeders (ie: health certs etc).

Killme00 wrote: »
    I just looked at that donedeal site. Holy cow!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/831872

How on earth can they have four litters ready to go a few weeks before christmas?

Because it could be a puppy farm/broker. That is the problem with using an online ad website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

We have French Bulldogs that we brought from Holland, the rules there are to keep the breed as "clean" as possible (try to keep the inherited illnesses to a minimum) they are only allowed to produce 2 litters per bitch. The more puppies a bitch has, the weaker the breed and in turn a lot of health problems. I would do a lot of research into the breeder before buying.

Bulldogs are great fun to have though, French and English Bulldog have very similair characters, you will have great fun with them. Are you ready for their stubborness? You have to be extremely consistent with Bulldogs too.
    Good Luck!!

Yes but the French ones look like a cross between an English bulldog and a crossaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

OP, Any ads I have seen for English Bulldogs are for €3,500 per pup- you would be nuts to spend this money on a dog. Especially when it's a breed that will probably cost you the same again in vets bills soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Wow, that Akita advert, "good deals on breeding pairs" says it all really. idiot puppy farmers. :mad:

OP, please don't look for your pup on any of these websites or papers, if you want a breed such as this that is so prone to illness, you really need to go to a top quality breeder. because of these dogs fetching such high prices, I'm sure you'll find a lot of clueless idiots breeding them just because of the amount of money they can get from the pups.

personally I wouldn't buy a dog ever but in particular not an EBD as it's supporting breeding dogs who are in general a very unhealthy breed and are born to have a crap life really with all their breathing problems etc. but that's JMO.

kerrygold--the so called breathing problem is very rare in well bred englishbulldogs now .you may have been watching to much pulp tv--if you have ever met a real live english bulldog i am sure you will change your mind-i have had two bullies my first one lived to the age of 12.and he died when having a heart attack. my other one is now 2years old and will walk for ever--as long as the dogs are fed well and exercised you will have no problem- except-for everyone wanting - to stop you to pat him--to know a bulldog is to love a bulldog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Getz as much as i hate to say it these dogs are a mess and have been made a mess by breeders who have changed them so much through the years creating a freak, yes they may be loving animals no doubt but they are still a mess physically.

people just buy them because they get looks etc..there not good for anything usefull, not saying a dog has to be but this comment is more to do with how the dog is a mess.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

We have our bulldog 3 months now,

She is fantastic , enjoys long Walks,, Is in great health, And an snoring lump to a looney whirlwind when she Wants to be

We Contacted The Bulldog club of Ireland or IKC Bulldog Head, I think She Was mentioned in this thread, She gaves us the names of a couple of breeders and Who To stay away from, When we Asked alot of questions
    after our first view of the pubs she went on her own steam to check and Confirm for us all was Well,

See attached,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Shes the picture of health!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

dark jedi ire your bulldog is the spit image of mine but mine is a dog not [EMAIL="bitch--fawn@white"] [/EMAIL]a bitch its fawn and white same face markings--when i find out how to send photoes over the net i will send you one --the pedigree name is it cowbit?---as for poor breeding most all dogs have problems or other. when i used to show staffies over 30 years ago i often talked to other breeders ,about dogy problems --no dog breed has not got a problem ,even working and sporting breeds--my bulldog has a better chance of living longer than a lab or alsation--because the back legs soon go on these breeds -but because the dogs are used for the police or the blind --the tv/press-would get to much stick .same with greyhounds-the loby is to powerfull

listen :)

The op Wanted info on Bulldogs, I gave some information on our Experience,

Im not going to get into the right and wrongs of the breed, or the kennel club Standard rubbish as i dont agree with the outlandish freaks and methods they use,

Shes a dog and been breed to look the way she is, Love them or hate them
    the op has the right to choose for themselves what dog they would love To have,,

R

totally agree With yeh getz

If yeh get a photo up let me know, :)

Would love To see him

R

the only pic i have of mine is on the net ;;parkviewhouse.net'it was taken in ireland when we came over 16 months ago in shillelagh

Big Lad,,

:)
    Lovely,, very very cute,,

R

Advertisement