Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBB ADSL problem

Options
  • 06-02-2008 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Ive had irish broadband 3mb adsl for the past 6 months.
    It was fine for the first few weeks only and then started getting amazingly bad download speeds and pings.

It can be ok sometimes with 30-40 ping to uk servers but when its bad its 2 - 300 spiking constantly from 4 pm to around midnight . Anyone know what the problem could be , ive tried changing modems , new filters etc but no luck. Ive rang them up numerous times , say theyll check the line for a week and say everything is fine or say someting like its my pc problem .

Is it just the provider ? I thought irishbb adsl was decent. Please someone help as its really getting on my nerves :-).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

4PM-midnight is pretty much peak time for Internet usage, so the problem is more than likely contention. I wouldn't have thought contention on IBB's DSL would be that bad, since I'm guessing that's a small part of their business, but ig their servers are shared between Ripwave, Breeze and the DSL products, then contention could be quite bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Contention is 24:1 as is every other adsl provider in ireland so it mightnt be that. Can an exchange problem cause it as my other net before that was very similar . It was digiweb 2mb , 48:1 contention.

1/24th of 3Mbps is 125kbps, or about 15kBps, which is very poor. Unlikely to be an exchange problem, if it only manifests itself at a certain time every day. Contention (or IBB's poor management of traffic) is a more likely suspect.

Just because you're quoted 24:1 doesn't mean you'll actually get this either. I know many who've canceled their IBB products, while still within a contract, due to speeds well below what would be allowed by the contention.

If its a contention problem what other isp do u recommend even tho they all have up to 24 contention :) i know alot alot of people in the uk whos ping / download speeds never change once, do english isps have no contention or someting ? s;

bump , need help :-) best provider outside waterford area anyone know , options are eircom digiweb magnet imag!ne bt

• Advertisement

Magnet and Smart have no contention. BT were pretty good for me up until the last few months. Their customer service are dire, as are accounts and billing. I wouldn't recommend them. eircom (sic) might be one of you best bets if Magnet or Smart don't work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no exchange/DSLAM artifical contention. But NO-ONE has a backhaul that can carry everyone's traffic at 100% at the same time. Nothing like. There is contention. It is just low and relies on fact that everyone is not a 24x7 torrent user.

Remember even with operators that have nominal 48:1 contention, you rarely see worse than 2:1 in practice.

English ISPs have high contention with users often NEVER seeing more than 1/2 to 1/3rd of their advertised "up to" speed. It's about x3 harder to get Broadband here in Ireland than UK, and UK speeds are on average higher, but oddly Irish users of Cable, DSL and Metro get far closer more often to the "up to speed" than the more misled British users.

Higher Ping times is not just a contention issue. Low ping times don't mean you are getting full speed.

What can cause the higher pings then ? its not an issue with the servers or anything like that , must be an isp problem i assume or since my irishbb 3mb has no download limit people ( person ) on my bandwith could be mass downloading every evening off torents or someting ? could it be someting to check with irishbb?

Advertisement