Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Effect DLC Announced

• 06-02-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=616574&forum=104
    The Bring Down the Sky downloadable content pack will be released to Xbox LIVE Marketplace on Monday, March 10 at 2 a.m. PST, and will be available for 400 MS points. This is the first in a series of planned downloadable content that further expands the Mass Effect universe and continues the adventures of Commander Shepard and the Normandy crew.

Bring Down the Sky includes a new uncharted world that introduces the notorious and feared alien race of the Batarians. A Batarian extremist group has hijacked a mobile asteroid station in the Asgard system, setting it on a collision course with the nearby colony world of Terra Nova. Only Commander Shepard can save the millions of innocent civilians before the asteroid completes its deadly descent.

Bring Down the Sky contains approximately 90 minutes of heart-pounding action and a new Achievement worth 50 Gamerscore points.

Important bits bolded for the lazy ;)

Pics: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5908_en.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Those pic links are 'forbidden'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Too many people linking to them I suppose, they worked earlier. Click here instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

will defo be getting this,wish they would release alot of content at once rather than small amounts at a time hope the planet is designed like the main quest planets and not just one of the uncharted worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

"approximately 90 minutes of heart-pounding action" kind of makes it sound like it'll be the same as one of the bigger planets...
    Can't wait for this, it might even be enough to tear me away from WoW:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Deadly! Was wondering when this would be announced. Them Batarians look class. **** too right it better be a good planet. Them uncharted ones got awfully ****ing boring toward the end. The only thing that let the game down in my opinion, damned clone enemy hangars/research facilitys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Meh, this is not what I was hoping for with the DLC for Mass Effect. 90 minutes... BOO! I hope they're just testing the water with this one but tbh another generic world/station is not very impressive. I'll get it anyway though because I'm a Mass Effect whore. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Does this just mean it'll be one of those longer planets - land. Drive a bit shooting things. Enter a generic building. Shoot some things. Talk a bit and go home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Does this just mean it'll be one of those longer planets - land. Drive a bit shooting things. Enter a generic building. Shoot some things. Talk a bit and go home?

It looks like it will be, yes. The guys you're shooting at will look a little different, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'd say it'll be a proper story planet, like the main quest planets. I can't see a regular boring uncharted planet last for 90 minutes.

Any ideas how it'll fit into your game? Like, if you've finished the game already will you need to load up an earlier saved game or start a new game or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't help but feel the same. It's not the most exciting news I've heard. And for 400 points, it seems hardly worth the effort.

• Advertisement

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=616575&forum=104&sp=90

Chris Priestly:
    A couple of answers for you (without trying to spoil any upcoming fun).

The DLC will fit into an existing game (or will be available if you start a new game) and will appear as a new Galaxy Map location.

It takes place during the game play, not "after the game".

March 10 is for all regions afaik (if I hear different I will let everyone know). There will be localized subtitles, but not VO.

Bring Down the Sky is only available through Xbox Live. Sign up for an Xbox Live account and learn more about how to get Live Points for ME DLC.

And yes, this is the FIRST Mass Effect DLC, there will be more to come in the future (but we aren't talking about that just yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

if its just an uncharted planet with new aliens, fugeddabout it. Those planets were ****ing crap and easily the worst part of the game. If its a fully fleshed out mission planet that has people to talk to, side quests and a proper area to explore, not a barren wasteland you drive from one end to the other of, i might actually get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will they still have all the characters voices for these DLC's? I hope they have some part in the story, rather then just being there for the fights. And there better be a story to the mission. Some of the side missions were good (the one with the cult for example), so hopefully it will be a step up from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've gotta start a new game, I haven't touched ME since I beat it! Maybe start on the long, long road to Level 60. I love DLC, made me return to Oblivion and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

why start a new one? cant you just load up a save game and nip off in the Normandy to the new DLC location?

If you have a save you can use that (as long as it's a save where you can access the galaxy map
    so not at the end of the game
    )

Yeah, I'm in the situation koneko mentioned!

Do you have any earlier saves? For RPGs I usually keep a few in case I need to go back to one. If not, just finish it up and start a new game with the same character, and get it ready in time for the DLC :)

Getting to 60 isn't too bad, IIRC I was 68 at the end of my second playthrough. Getting from 69 to 70 takes a lot of XP though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Having cleared the game four times, and currently playing through on insanity, if they released a slightly different shading for Gavin Shepards manly stubble, I'd probably buy it. Joy to the DLC!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

90 minutes!?! ffs! At least its only 400 points...

I would rather they released some fixes for the AI and made your companions smarter. Or at least not as dumb as a bag of bricks.

I can't count how many times I shouted "this is my cover spot you f£$(&£ing idiot.... find your own!" as one of them jumped in front of my fire-cover and blocked my line of fire...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

4 times :eek: i think its a great game but dont think there is that much replayability..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Recently unemployed = Achievement Junkie :) Plus I played through Jade Empire 5 times, just squeezing every drop out of the game!

So, has anyone gotten this yet? I've read someone impressions on another forum...spoilered, even though it doesnt say anything about the actual mission. I'm gonna buy this tonight, and i will post more tomorrow (when i have finished it :))
    I just finished the expansion. 90 minutes is pretty accurate. The new area is well done and interesting, with a main quest and a side quest. It resuses some of the level layout from previous side missions, except the final area. There's plenty of dialogue and plot, though your squadmates don't seem to talk.

I'd say it's somewhere between a normal side mission and a regular mission in terms of complexity. All of the enemies are new, and the look of the new area is pretty cool. It's pretty fun, I'd say, and worth 5 bucks. It's essentially what I wish all the side missions in ME were like.

Ok, got, and cleared, this last night, and it was pretty good. It was a mix between one of the main missions and one of the side missions. Had some decent voice acting, and some good action sections, especially the final area. All in all, a decent first DLC for a fantastic game.

I downloaded it and started a new game last night. Didn't get as much time to play as I wanted, so I'm only on Eden Prime. Got distracted by Lost Odyssey though, I might leave ME until after I finish that!

I decided to spend the 90 minutes away from Lost Odyssey, as i wanted to get through it and see what it was like. Now i can go back to Lost Odyssey.

I wanted to do that, but I don't have a save where I have access to the Galaxy map. After passing Eden Prime, I have to get off Citadel. I'm not sure how quickly that can be done though? It took ages last time, but I wanted to do all the side quests before I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got this yesterday, but not played this yet. Still stuck on the citadel.

Will probably get to play this tonight.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How do you access this content?

my only save game is a long way into the finale and I presume if I just complete the finale it will go to the credits. I dont have a save past, level 14 I think (I'm level 50, so there is no way I am going back to that!)

Seems a dumb way to do it.

DeV.

Bah, seems that I'm not the only one in that boat. Apparently, its a big problem.

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement