Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a country...

Options
  • 06-02-2008 6:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I know this is a very broad question, but the time has come for me to start thinking about what I want to do after my current degree. I'll no doubt do another degree, but I can't decide where. That's where you come in: Suggest places to me!

I'm looking for an English-speaking country (or at least a country where most people speak English and the University would be in English). I've lived in Ireland and Scotland so far and long for a sunny climate. I'd like to be coastal if possible, and not too far away from home (although I'm willing to consider it).

The US is throwing up lots of immigration barriers, specifically that you need to have studied for at least a year in the US already. My grades also aren't the best, although I'm hoping to graduate with a 2:1 at least. I've been told US universities are a lot more difficult than over here.

Canada is another option I'm thinking of, but how's the weather over there?

I'm open to any and all suggestions at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I noticed that York University in Toronto had a lot of foreign students, maybe they encourage them to come there or make it easier somehow. I went there, but I was born in Canada and went to school in the area.

It is cold, for sure, in the winter, it goes down to -10, but it's alright if you're dressed properly for it. It's even better if you don't have to drive long distances in the snow. Toronto gets hot in the summer, it's gone up to the mid 30s, and it can get pretty humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Faith wrote: »
    I'm looking for an English-speaking country (or at least a country where most people speak English and the University would be in English). I've lived in Ireland and Scotland so far and long for a sunny climate. I'd like to be coastal if possible, and not too far away from home (although I'm willing to consider it).

Kind of limiting yourself there! :) US, Canada, Australia, South Africa. Some Scandinavian colleges conduct through English as well, AFAIK. If you're going to the bother of doing another degree, go to where the best university is... seriously. Also, at postgrad level, they should be willing to pay your way with a research or teaching gig on the side (which also looks infinitely better on the old CV). If they won't offer you that, move on, because there are plenty that will, and you're doing yourself a great disservice by paying your own way.
    Faith wrote: »
    The US is throwing up lots of immigration barriers, specifically that you need to have studied for at least a year in the US already. My grades also aren't the best, although I'm hoping to graduate with a 2:1 at least. I've been told US universities are a lot more difficult than over here.

That can't be right. Once you're accepted to a programme, the visa is just a formality. Apply to universities now, get accepted, then apply for the visa. They're handing them out. US programmes are not more difficult either. The grading is actually more lenient, from what I've seen.
    Canada is another option I'm thinking of, but how's the weather over there?

A little warmer in the summer. Doesn't rain as much, in general. Winters can be horrific, depending on the place!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A mate of mine lives in Canada at the moment through studying for his doctorate. He lives in Quebec, and its one of the most isolating places he has been to, because of the language issues. I have always thought that Vancouver would be one helluva place to live for a while.
    There are plenty of uni's in australia, but it definitely feels far from home.
    I think there are a few english speaking universities in the likes of Prague and Amsterdam. The architecture in these places is amazing, the people friendly and the experience of actually living there would make me so jealous of you I would consider a Talented Mrs. Ripley.
    Where are my scissors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Answer is simple. Oz. Great weather, people, beaches, very like home etc etc.

Only problem is.... It's the other side of the world.

Advertisement