Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brothers deal on Skoda, buy now or after july 1st?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

My bother has asked for advise on a new motor. He's got a deal done with a garage for a new Skoda Octavia tdi for 23,250e but i told him hold on till he learns more about the new tax rates on cars reg'd after july 1st. What would you all advise, buy now with this deal or wait till july & see what deals are goin then. He understands that if he buys now he'll always be on the engine size rate of tax which is due a rise in july, but will buying after the july 1st deadline & going on the emmisions rate of tax be any different or will it affect the resale value of the car in 2-3 years.
    Advise please,

Thanks in advance,
    Pog

Edit: I forgot to mention that another idea would be to import a used car from the Uk in July. Which would you all recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Another question, how much will it cost to tax a 1.9Tdi Octavia bought after july 1st on new emissions tax system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The Octavia TDI is a very fuel efficient car so even without looking at the figure it's going to be cheaper post July.

The Octavia TDI is a very fuel efficient car so even without looking at the figure it's going to be cheaper post July.

:rolleyes: Thats what i told him, but i need figures to convince him :D
    What is the co2 emissions figure for an Octavia, I use the link in the sticky and came up with 135 (although i'm unsure i got the exact model right) which would mean 150e for tax. Is this calculation right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Probably is. Used to have the old 90bhp TDI and that chap always done +45MPG mixed driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

According to this site, www.smmtco2.co.uk, the 1.9 TDI Octavia puts out 138g CO2. This puts it in Band B for tax after 1st July so 150 Euro.

Tax on current system is 560 Euro.

• Advertisement

caze wrote: »
    According to this site, www.smmtco2.co.uk, the 1.9 TDI Octavia puts out 138g CO2. This puts it in Band B for tax after 1st July so 150 Euro.

Tax on current system is 560 Euro.

Thanks caze, just what i wanted.

Will he get the same deal in July on the Octavia or will it rise in price as its a low emmisions car?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Octavia technically should drop in price come July. HAve a look in the sticky at the top of the motors home page, loads of info there about what might happen after VRT changes come in. E92 has some great work done in what retail prices are now and might be after July. Not sure if he's got as far a skoda yet though.

Basically VRT on diesel 1.9 octavia at present is 25%. This will drop to 16% after July 1st on emissions ratings but whether Skoda pass this fully to customers is another question. If they did 9% price cut and the 150 euro a year road tax would be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

caze wrote: »
    Octavia technically should drop in price come July. HAve a look in the sticky at the top of the motors home page, loads of info there about what might happen after VRT changes come in. E92 has some great work done in what retail prices are now and might be after July. Not sure if he's got as far a skoda yet though.

Basically VRT on diesel 1.9 octavia at present is 25%. This will drop to 16% after July 1st on emissions ratings but whether Skoda pass this fully to customers is another question. If they did 9% price cut and the 150 euro a year road tax would be sweet.

Unfortunately I haven't got Skoda done yet, but if the OP is prepared to wait a few hours, the mystery will be solved about what the Octavia should cost in 5 months time;). (I've Alfa-Lexus, Mazda-Seat and Tata-Volvo inclusive done, so I only have Skoda and Lotus both of which will be done tonight, and then just Subaru, Ssangyong and Suzuki are left). It will definitely better to wait till July though, it is a diesel after all.

Thanks folks, looks like he's way better waiting for july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    it is a diesel after all.
    And not only that, it's a big-ish diesel so is punished under the current system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Theres another reason as to why the op should wait a while to buy.A friend of mine sells skoda and he tells me that the octavia will be facelifted towards the end of the year.As i'm sure many of you are aware, the golf mk6 is coming along next year and this is being marketed by vw as a completely new model i believe.However the mk6 is basically a mk5 under a revised body and possibly some minor suspension changes.Seeing as the mk6 wont be entirely new, skoda wont be in a huge hurry to overhaul the octavia, i expect to octavia to keep going for another few years yet.That said there will be some alterations in the facelift.The looks will undoubtedly be altered, probably in line with the new superb and fabia.The interior changes wont be as major, slight alterations i expect.There may be some engine changes.It is thought that vw are developing an all new 1.2tsi engine with around 100bhp.I'm not sure when this engine will come but it would surprise me if it is not in the golf mk6, replacing the ancient 1.6(non fsi) and 1.4 80bhp engine.It may then be in the new octavia, possibly eliminating both 1.4 and 1.6 engines.I'm not sure about the diesels but that 1.9tdi is pushing on a bit.Back to the point, if were the op's brother, i'd wait for the facelifted octavia

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Theres another reason as to why the op should wait a while to buy.A friend of mine sells skoda and he tells me that the octavia will be facelifted towards the end of the year.As i'm sure many of you are aware, the golf mk6 is coming along next year and this is being marketed by vw as a completely new model i believe.However the mk6 is basically a mk5 under a revised body and possibly some minor suspension changes.Seeing as the mk6 wont be entirely new, skoda wont be in a huge hurry to overhaul the octavia, i expect to octavia to keep going for another few years yet.That said there will be some alterations in the facelift.The looks will undoubtedly be altered, probably in line with the new superb and fabia.The interior changes wont be as major, slight alterations i expect.There may be some engine changes.It is thought that vw are developing an all new 1.2tsi engine with around 100bhp.I'm not sure when this engine will come but it would surprise me if it is not in the golf mk6, replacing the ancient 1.6(non fsi) engine.It may then be in the new octavia, possibly eliminating both 1.4 and 1.6 engines.I'm not sure about the diesels but that 1.9tdi is pushing on a bit.Back to the point, if were the op's brother, i'd wait for the facelifted octavia

They are still selling the Octavia based on the Mk4 Golf, as I've just found out to my surprise, now called the Octavia Tour.

As for the 1.9 TDI, the new Audi A4 has just gotten brand new diesels, so far the only VAG car with them, so I don't see these coming into the Skoda for another while yet, especially when Skoda are still selling the old 1.6 FSI, other VAG cars have the 1.4 T(F)SI now instead.

But if there is a facelift(and there should be soon since the current Octavia is now 3 years old) then it goes without saying wait till that comes before buying. Some of the newer engines in the VAG range will probably appear then.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Thats what i told him, but i need figures to convince him :D
    What is the co2 emissions figure for an Octavia, I use the link in the sticky and came up with 135 (although i'm unsure i got the exact model right) which would mean 150e for tax. Is this calculation right?

Perhaps this might answer your question;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    They are still selling the Octavia based on the Mk4 Golf, as I've just found out to my surprise, now called the Octavia Tour.

As for the 1.9 TDI, the new Audi A4 has just gotten brand new diesels, so far the only VAG car with them, so I don't see these coming into the Skoda for another while yet, especially when Skoda are still selling the old 1.6 FSI, other VAG cars have the 1.4 T(F)SI now instead.

But if there is a facelift(and there should be soon since the current Octavia is now 3 years old) then it goes without saying wait till that comes before buying. Some of the newer engines in the VAG range will probably appear then.

Unfortunately, the 1.6 fsi was never a popular engine for the octavia in ireland.However, if the 1.4tsi is put into the octavia(which is imminent, i believe.Manafacturing two different engines is uneconomic when 1 will do), it may create its own market as it is a fairly clean engine and will fare well under the new vrt rates.Fairly torque-y as well for a petrol due to turbo.Its also the base engine in the all new superb.I'd love to know if that will undercut the passat....

Advertisement