Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixed line question

Options
  • 06-02-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi, my local exchange went 'digital' a couple of days ago, and my neighbour who lives a mile away will be able to get fixed line broadband. I however don't have a connected line in my house, although eircom buried a phone line all the way (2/3 mile) up my driveway about 15 years ago and there was up to four phone lines here at one point .
    Trouble is, I don't want a phone line unless it is enabled for broadband and I can't use the line checker to see if I would be enabled unless I have a phone line. I have also been to a store (3g) and they can't tell me either.
    Does anyone have a number I can ring where an actual human being might be able to tell me if I can get it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

They won't be able to tell you even if you did get through to a person on the phone. Your will definitely be taking somewhat of a risk if you get a phone line put in. How close are you to the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doodlbug18

Clearly you are in a very rural area if your exchange is only recently enabled for Broadband and if you have a driveway 2/3 mile long and a neighbour a mile away. Just because there are lines on your driveway is no guarantee that they still go all the way to the exchange. The lines need to be patched through at connection enclosures and cabinets along the way. In rural Ireland, the bungalow blitz ribbon development that occurs without proper planning means that utilities can't plan proper services like in most civilised countries. If you have given up your line a few years ago, and if there is a lot of unplanned ribbon development around you, it is possible that someone else has been given your lines somewhere between you and the exchange. eircom might be forced to put you on a split line carrier system which won't support Broadband. If you only gave the line up recently, there is a good chance the line is still connected to the exchange.

My recommendation would be to apply for the line immediately, and if you get it, never give it up again. It's worth the risk, for the sake of a measly installation fee. If ever you want to sell your house, you could seriously lower the value by not having Broadband. Personally, I wouldn't buy a house that didn't have fixed-line Broadband, and increasingly buyers are considering this. If you are in a Rural area, don't expect any cable operators to connect you either, and if you really want to try wireless, 3G or satellite good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thanks for the replies, I am about 8 miles from the exchange. I am not really interested in getting a line connected if there is no broadband as I have good mobile coverage as for alternative broadband i.e. wireless. We are more than likely covered by one of the line of sight providers.It's just I always had the impression that fixed broadband is more reliable.
    I have spoken to someone at eircom (call centre) and she is adamant that there is no way to tell if I can get broadband until I get a connected and not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

8 miles, forget it. 3.5 to 4 miles on a good line is the limit in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

We are more than likely covered by one of the line of sight providers.It's just I always had the impression that fixed broadband is more reliable.
    DSL can be more reliable, it's not susceptible to outside influences, like weather,
    the way wireless can be. Digiweb Metro is a very good wireless service, and I haven't heard much in the way of bad news about them. Others may not be as reliable, it depends on the company. Have a search in this forum for the company you're thinking of, there may be comments on them.
    I have spoken to someone at eircom (call centre) and she is adamant that there is no way to tell if I can get broadband until I get a connected and not before.
    Whether it's actually possible or not, I'm not sure, but eircom certainly won't tell you anything without the line being active, or if was active up until a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I suspect that if there were 4 lines supplying the one house, they were hooked up with a pairgain. The pairgain would be left there even if they were subsequently disconnected.

This was the case with some family friends, but once they were interested in getting broadband, they got a hold of the local eircom engineer who got rid of the pairgains and put their house onto a freed-up pair.

The best (and official) way to do it is to order the line to be reconnected and to specify that it WILL be for a DSL connection. An engineer will come out and if no free pair is available, the install won't go ahead without your added consent for a pairgain to be used.

wazzoraybelle, where do you live that's 8 miles from an exchange?! The longest I've ever heard of is 6 miles. I didn't think a non-pairgained line would even work properly for voice at that distance. You can confirm what exchange you're on if you use the smarttelecom.ie line checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thing is I don't have a line to check (or know the numbers of the previous lines). I'm about 8 miles (by road) from Cloyne (the local exchange) in east cork. I went back to a 3g store in cork where the manager rang some technician who said broadband would be available subject to a full line installation with a charge of 120 euros. Is this a fixed charge regardless of location? I live at the end of a 1/2 mile driveway where the line would have to be underground as we are very exposed. It would cost eircom a pretty penny to lay a new line down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm about 8 miles (by road) from Cloyne (the local exchange) in east cork. I went back to a 3g store in cork where the manager rang some technician who said broadband would be available subject to a full line installation with a charge of 120 euros. Is this a fixed charge regardless of location?

120 euro is the standard installation charge for a new line. If there is already a line (inactive) connected to the house, then the charge is about 25 euro (or free sometimes). If they need to come and install the line, depending on your location, it could be months before they get around to you.

Also, just because you know there's an exchange in Cloyne, doesn't mean your line will be connected to that exchange. There could be another one, closer, and this may or may not be enabled. You'd need to check with eircom to find out what exchange you'll be on. I'm not sure if they'll be able to tell you this over the phone though.

Advertisement