Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concrete counter tops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are serious about this, Fu Tung Cheng is an author of two books about casting decorative concrete.
    He is basically the authority on high quality internal concrete use and design.
    I recommend you buy them from Amazon US.
    It can look amazing if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yeah I reckon they could look very good... different to Formica (HP laminates), hardwoods, (chromed) steel and granite anyway... should come in cheaper than granite and just as good I'd say... I know very little about pouring concrete but I've seen the books CJ mentions above before and was going to buy one...

Don't buy from Amazon UK, it's expensive (not sure about US)... buy from Book Depository... £12.24 and free delivery...
    Concrete Countertops: Design, Forms And Finishes For The New Kitchen And Bathroom
    Fu-Tung Cheng, Eric Olsen

Thinking about it more... it would seem that someone could make a lot of money by skilling themselves up and doing this for a living....

edited to add...
    Just bought the above book, it comes highly recommended so it seems to be a great buy. It'll cost around 16.40 Euro all in with the current exchange rate. Usually delivered very quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

I saw a concrete counter top made by a design company at Plan Expo (I think) Scudding Clouds was the name but their site is unavailable,(it was a couple of years ago). Might be handy for reference if it comes online. scuddingclouds.com/

Also try Brian at form and texture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

I looked into doing a concrete countertop a coulple years ago when my wife saw them at Plan Expo. And bought the books. They are excellent with a lot of good ideas. But when I start pricing the matrials and tools it got quite expensive. They recommend using his (Fu Tung Cheng) concrete mix. And there aren't too many colours offered.

I got into contact with scudding clouds but, unfortuantly that didn't work out. Thru some searching we found two other companies that do the concrete countertops. Unicrete and Celtic Crete Designs.

We ended up last year going with Celtic Crete Designs and got a countertop that looks like marble, but it is blue with silver metalic veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

hardly, do you have any links to celtic crete couldn't find anything after a quick search.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

mind me asking what the cost was on that hardly working? I spoke to a guy who worked on sites about this today, and he advised against it. Said a) the stuff would be expensive, especially when it goes wrong the first couple of times b) mistakes would be expensive and heavy to get rid of, c) the smallest air bubble in something like this is a nightmare, and d) it might look out of place in my town house. I think Ill just go with a nice looking laminate counter top now

foamcutter wrote: »
    hardly, do you have any links to celtic crete couldn't find anything after a quick search.

Thanks

check out www.celticcretedesigns.ie it says website coming soon???

****** it cost just over €3000 delivered & installed. It worked out a bit less than granite for a good size kitchen & island with a built in belfast sink (the sink is all in one with the countertop), drain board & removable cutting board. I know what your saying about expenisive heavy mistakes. That's main reason didn't try it. Our top has been in for the year & I'm happy with it. Most important, she who must be obeyed loves it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Have been intrigued by the idea for a while.

How durable are they? Could you mark it cutting bread on it with a knife? Does it stain i.e is is porous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

...........same here. Have ordered book via Ebay, but am curious as to how critical the monthly waxing is as outlined by one of the DIY sites?

Ours is sealed they told us with it sealed you only need to wax it if it starts looking dull or they will come back annually for a small fee & buff it. A year on & our still looks brand new. I've cut on it a good few times but it is hard on knives & dulls them. We had a cutting board put in flush with the sink that can be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

check out www.celticcretedesigns.ie it says website coming soon???

****** it cost just over €3000 delivered & installed. It worked out a bit less than granite for a good size kitchen & island with a built in belfast sink (the sink is all in one with the countertop), drain board & removable cutting board. I know what your saying about expenisive heavy mistakes. That's main reason didn't try it. Our top has been in for the year & I'm happy with it. Most important, she who must be obeyed loves it!!!

€3,000 fairly decent. I would have thought it would be alot more.

Advertisement