Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet Stove

Options
  • 06-02-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,
    Considering installing a wood pellet stove in our sun room for space heating only (intend to start the build soon).
    Just looking for your views?:confused:
    If you have one, what's it like, who did you get it from and how much did it cost????
    Any horror stories?:(

All comments welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Read the charter.

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I had planned a wood pellet stove for our sunroom about two yrs ago for space heating only. Viewed a few showrooms and did my calculations etc. After talking to quiet a few people I figured that a wood stove was a better option for a few reasons. A. I had an ample supply of timber available. B. Wood pellets by the bag wasn't economical. C. If I went wood pellet space heater and received a grant then that would rule out grant further down the line if I wanted to install a wp boiler for whole house heating.
    Decided on a small Mulberry wood stove and if it didn't work out would then go the wood pellet route. The wood stove worked perfectly and two yrs later I wouldn't part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

Stapeler,
    Thanks for the info. What you're saying makes sense. I'm a lazy git so the idea of not having to clean out a pellet stove only once a month or so sounds great. How often do you clean out the wood stove? Could you PM who you got it from and for how much???

I'm leaving all my options open at this stage.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Oddjobber

Wood pellet burners are expensive and I doubt that the SEI grant will apply to your planned purchase with it only being used for a sun room. I'd stick with a solid fuel burner (Stanley Erin is a great model around 2k though Rayburn are cheaper but look just as good). The point on wood pellets being expensive is true unless you buy them by the tonne - that'll be some stock to heat a sun room.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

Hi Oddjobber,
    Thanks for your comments but we intend to install a stove not a burner. It will probably be only used in the winter (and the odd cold evening all other times). I've checked out the SEI grant and it should not be a problem - €1100 for stoves without a back boiler and the quote we got for a Windsor was 2500 +500 - 1100, so it works out cheeper than a solid fuel stove

• Advertisement
Advertisement