Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my old domain is locked. Trying to sort this out...

Options
  • 06-02-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I had a website of [myname].net. I decided to put a site up on that domain again.
    I let the registration of the domain expire in November 2006. The domain is locked now.
    I contacted my previous hosting company. They said it had been registered with enum. I contacted the hosting company I originally had registered the domain with (who use enum accounts so I probably never changed the registrar). They said they could not find the domain in their database or in their accounts.
    The enum website had a tool for checking, which indicated that the domain was not registered with them. I contacted them about it. They said the previous registrant had not relinquished ownership rights for the domain and it was not available. But I think I was the previous registrant..?
    I checked whois.net. It said :

Creation date: 27 Nov 2004
    Expiration date: 27 Nov 2007

I checked my old emails and I let the domain expire on 27 November 2006.

Did someone else register the domain immediately after I let it expire? That seems very unlikely since I don't have a common name, and I checked the address a few times over that year and there was no site on it. One of those advertising pages was on it though I think. The ones that say "Why am I seeing this page" or similar on them.

Did someone register my old domain immediately so they could put ads up in its place then? Seems a trifle bizarre.

Can anyone explain this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Without knowing what the domain is it's hard to tell you exactly, however it is possible that somebody picked up the domain as soon as it became available.

This diagram might help:

http://www.icann.org/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

That does help thank you. That means if that is what happened, the domain will be available again on 10/02/08 anyway, unless they renew it before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you are lucky... yes but I doubt that very much.

Really? They let it expire in november, so I thought that would mean they would be unlikely to renew it before it is available again. I'm surprised they thought the site was worth grabbing in the first place to be honest, since they only seem to have wanted it for advertising.

louie wrote: »
    If you are lucky... yes but I doubt that very much.
    You're right they did reregister it and there's a generic advertisement page there now. I was aware of domain squatting but I had thought it only happened with domains of obvious value. I suppose it's good to be aware that it can happen with domains of small sites too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement