Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french writing!(THIS ISNT A MOCKS THREAD)!

Options
  • 06-02-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Im in fifth year and i drastically need to improve my writing skills in french!any tips?
    Like what separates the best from the average?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

eoins2345 wrote: »
    what separates the best from the average?

CHEATING!!! dont worry much just keep practising and it will sonn come to u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

same ere ..lyk the book we are using in school isn't great...!!
    ehh i was thinking to get grinds but i am gonna wait until 6th yr..
    =)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

hhmmm...

The below average : cant use basic tenses properly.cant use "a la" "ses" "leur" eux" "cieux"or anything like it properly . have bad vocab i suppose?
    The average : use the above very well, and use direct and inderect objects . Have clear, well structured short sentences with all proper agreements ? broad enough vocab too.
    The best: Have No issues like the "below average" do.Use Subjunctive tenses, Future Anterieur ( excuse spelling ,sorry ) , conditional anterieur, L'imparfait and all those sick tenses perfectly, never feck up agreements, have a fantastic vocab, and can speak french with out many pauses...
    The standard is actually sick....

but jesus dont bank on that! anyhoo..if you dont have the basics and the necessary foundation, dont attempt the crazy stuff. just do what you're able for and decorate with impressive vocab! good luck then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

1. Get a notebook.
    2. Fill it with phrases, vocabulary, stock sentences that you can use anywhere.
    3. Keep filling it up.
    4. Review this notebook regularly.

Keep your sentences simple, use idiomatic French, make sure you use the correct adjectives.

Practice makes perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

Casserine wrote: »
    1. Get a notebook.
    2. Fill it with phrases, vocabulary, stock sentences that you can use anywhere.
    3. Keep filling it up.
    4. Review this notebook regularly.

Keep your sentences simple, use idiomatic French, make sure you use the correct adjectives.

Practice makes perfect!

^^wat that says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

There really are no tips - its just plain slog! I got an A1 in Higher Level French back in the day despite never having been to France/French language course and having a fairly strong Kerry accent so it is possible!

Each and every thing you pick up in French is a way to learn more words and phrases and having the best book or grinds won't solve the problem. When I was doing a Comprehension piece it used to take me about an hour to do each one because I used to start at the first word and translate every word I didn't know into a Hardbacked Vocab notebook. I kept a seperate one for unusual grammar points. Only when I had done this, and learned all the new words, did I even look at the questions. Same for your written homework - do a draft then keep checking it until you know its perfect. When you an do the basics properly - which means learning from your mistakes so ask your teacher to correct your written work and rememeber if you're showing interest they're usually well up to help an interested student.

My friends could do French homework in about 20 mins while it used to take me about an hour which seemed like time that I was wasting to them, as they liked to remond me, but its the only way to learn any language.

Given that I was the only person out of 160 in my year to get an A1 and that it was a really important subject for me - damn 500+ points courses! - it was worth the effort and getting grinds or cramming near the end won't help with French its a slow burner in terms of study that you need to be working at right from the start.

Bonne Chance

Stirling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Stirling wrote: »
    There really are no tips - its just plain slog! I got an A1 in Higher Level French back in the day despite never having been to France/French language course and having a fairly strong Kerry accent so it is possible!

Each and every thing you pick up in French is a way to learn more words and phrases and having the best book or grinds won't solve the problem. When I was doing a Comprehension piece it used to take me about an hour to do each one because I used to start at the first word and translate every word I didn't know into a Hardbacked Vocab notebook. I kept a seperate one for unusual grammar points. Only when I had done this, and learned all the new words, did I even look at the questions. Same for your written homework - do a draft then keep checking it until you know its perfect. When you an do the basics properly - which means learning from your mistakes so ask your teacher to correct your written work and rememeber if you're showing interest they're usually well up to help an interested student.

My friends could do French homework in about 20 mins while it used to take me about an hour which seemed like time that I was wasting to them, as they liked to remond me, but its the only way to learn any language.

Given that I was the only person out of 160 in my year to get an A1 and that it was a really important subject for me - damn 500+ points courses! - it was worth the effort and getting grinds or cramming near the end won't help with French its a slow burner in terms of study that you need to be working at right from the start.

Bonne Chance

Stirling

so you learned all da vocabs n da hardback?
    ? O ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 katiewobbles

Stirling gave some great advice there. French is definitely a subject that you have to keep chipping away at. Practice practice practice is the key. Know the basics, know your grammar inside and out(i know thats awful but it must be done), then you can fluff it out with the proper vocab, then learn the special little idioms for the icing on the cake.:)
    I would totally recommnd that you do a French course-you're still in fifth year right? Or you could make an ffort with your friends to speak french-it improves fluency, confidence and it's funny when you here yourself making mistakes, you notice and over time they correct themselves.
    I was a C student and I went to France to improve, and there was such a differene, I'm told i sound fluent when i speak(by my friends) and its from practice.
    I find it helpful to write down my common mistakes and know what areas to improve on to perfect the writing aspect.
    Depending on where you go grinds could be helpful to absorb the extra french and to get comfortable with the language.
    Be relaxed with it and try to hav some fun with it, i got into french music and the culture which makes it more interesting i feel, it doesn't just have to be another subject.
    Bonne Chance!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

I am a sixth year student at the moment and2be honest it isnt that hard to improve your french if you put your mind to it. For example in my 5th yr x-mas exam i got a D2, 5th yr summer i got a B3, sixth year x-mas i got a B1 and now i'm hoping for an A in my pre. Firstly if you have the educational company exam papers or can get a loan of someones, there are very useful phrases at the beginning of the book before the exam papers start which can give you a basic structure for answering all the written expressions. Trust me with a planned layout of what to start with, how to give your opinion, a solution and finally a conclusion you cant go too far wrong. If the thought of sitting down learning off reems of french vocab doesnt sound appealing;) then i think its worth putting what you know into practice and you dont even have to go to France! Set up a myspace account if you havent got one already but NOT on the english one, on www.myspace.fr everything is in french of course and when you come across the same words all the time you will naturally remember them. Add french people as friends and make sure you comment and email in french only because some ppl will try to use the opportunity to practice their english. I have done this and found that 9 out of 10 of the french ppl i spoke to are more than happy to help. Another thing is to watch french tv so if you have sky its channel 799 TV5 MONDE and if not you can buy cheap dvds from www.amazon.fr which will have french subtitles as well as english. The irish and english shopping sites might only sell dvds with english subtitles and to be honest laziness takes over when you can simply read english instead of having to try to understand french. Other things such as youtube in french www.youtube.fr etc. are useful. These have all worked really well for me and in my poinion what seperates the average from the best is who knows how to improveand who relies on the school book to cover everything(it doesn't). I forgot to state that i'm doing higher level so i dont know about OL. Bonne chance!:D

Advertisement