Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun parts

Options
  • 06-02-2008 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

does anyone know the legality of ordering parts for a rifle from the uk like replacement trigger units, stocks, sights,barrels etc, does it need to go through a gun dealer or not ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

First off you'll probably need a licence for the rifle barrel. Parts other than the barrel or reciever you should be able to get in the post. That's certainly been my experience, would be great if someone could dish up something definitive, like the appropriate legislation or case-law. Wait, definitive firearms legislation?.. nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Rifle barrel classed as a firearm so would defo need cert, even for spare barrel, fookin rip off but spare shotgun barrel can be added to exsisting cert, unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 openseason

i wouldn 't have thought a barrel is the same as a firearm thats mad

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I believe the wording that applies is:
    1. In this Act—
      “firearm” means—
      1. ...
      2. ...
      3. ...
      4. ...
      5. ...
      6. ...
      7. except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
        1. ...
        2. ...
        3. any object—
          1. manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
          2. without which it could not function as originally designed,

My interpretation of this (I'm not a lawyer though) is that to qualify as a firearm a component has to be:
    • Made to be part of a firearm.
    • If the component is not in the firearm the firearm won't work.

AND even if something fulfills both of these criteria it could be exempt because "the context otherwise requires" it to. You'd probably have to go to court to fight that bit though.

Having said all that, I'm not a lawyer. If you intend to import something which could be interpreted as a firearm, either get the right paperwork or get legal advice to make sure you don't need it.

does that mean if i order a pin thats part of the trigger i 'd be breaking the law

• Advertisement

openseason wrote: »
    does that mean if i order a pin thats part of the trigger i 'd be breaking the law

Maybe. Would the gun work without the part? Is the pin manufactured exclusively as a trigger part? If so, then technically yes by my reading of it (again, I'm not a lawyer I could be completely wrong). On the other hand the law is enforced as the Gardai interpret it so you'd probably be OK.

If in doubt, either get paperwork to cover your ass or get advice from a solicitor. You don't want to get caught on the wrong side of the law.

you keep sayin youre not a lawyer are you sure bout that

Yep, very sure. :D I did Computer Science in college. A different kind of warped mind to a lawyer's. :)

Just don't want anyone to take my word as legal advice. It wouldn't be cool if someone got in trouble over something I said on the internet. The only professional advice I'll give is on software matters and you'll know when that happens 'cos I'll bill you for it. ;)

think ya should stick to the software so

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

without which it could not function as originally designed,
    i know ignorance is no excuse, and what i suggest here probably wont work.
    BUT...........
    if your ordering a second part for a firearm, then you obviously have a licensed firearm (as far as legal firearm owners are concerned!)
    if you have a licensed firearm and its in working order then the firearm CAN WORK without this extra part.
    suffice to say your not breaking this rule of
    without which it could not function as originally designed,

like i said, probably wouldnt get away with it, but , it does show that some laws are open to interpretation!!!

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply , its a bit of a mystery really ,anyone got any practical advice from their own experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the reason that a barrel is classes as a separate firearm is because if it wasn't you could legally get a .220, then replace the barrel with a .357. This is a different gun obviously and need to be controlled.

Advertisement