Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper Age Limit for Piercings??

Options
  • 06-02-2008 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I apologise if this topic has been covered before: I did a search and didn't find anything.

I'm a 25 year old female and have a couple of facial piercings - nose and labret. I took out my eyebrow piercing last year during a round of interviews. I had all three done aged 18-20. I have others but they aren't really visible.

Anyway, I am beginning to wonder if I am getting too old for them. Does anyone have an opinion on this subject? I'm doing a PhD and planning to be a lecturer and part-time I work as a PA in a pretty formal setting. No-one is objecting to the piercings but I am beginning to wonder myself if there is a respectable upper age limit. I used to dye my hair bizarre colours etc. but that has necessarily had to calm down for work. :) Absolutely none of my peers have piercings/tattoos...but then I suppose they never really did.

I still like them but don't want to look old, weird and washed up. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

go for it. i know older people with plenty of piercings/tattoos holding down respectable jobs of various orders. the day you look in the mirror and think 'what am i like?', then maybe take them out then. as long as they're comfortable on you, then keep them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

keep them, they obviously must suit you if you have kept them in and no one has asked you to remove them so be happy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I really don't think 25 is too old for piercings....go for it, do whatever you want...stay true to yourself. If it isn't a problem with your work etc...then you shouldn't have a problem with it yourself. All the best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

im 22 (almost) doing computer science, ive worked for pretty conservative companies in the past and will be soon enough again. i work as a care assistant part time also and no one has a problem with me or the way i look.
    piercings were never a problem, i wouldnt let them be.

in short, as long as you are happy with the way you look with piercings i wouldnt let it bother you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Any link between body mods and a specific age group is more due to availability in this country than them reflecting an actual maturity IMO, so as long as you are happy with them and don't care too much what other people think (if you start pandering to that you'll never be happy yourself) leave them in and feel free to get whatever others you might feel "are you".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Zee Deveel

Would you not feel naked and different from your normal self without the piercings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ha! I would feel a little naked actually. I didn't like removing my eyebrow ring.

I guess I'm just considering that I'm heading for thirty and maybe I need to do it graciously rather than kicking and screaming. :)

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Upper age limit all depends on your own opinion really,
    I cant see me without my piercings (Im 23 now...that may change when i hit 25!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

O_O

When did being 25 count as being "old"?

Why did nobody tell me, and let me get my first piercing at 27?

:D
    There is NO upper age limit, hell, my girlfriends mum has her eyebrow pierced!

Don't worry about it. So long as you are comfortable with it, and like it, keep it! But don't let yourself become uncomfortable with it because of other people. Be you, and enjoy being you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'll see ye all at the Old Modified Folk's home, we can sit outside with our dangly earlobes and wrinkly tattoos complaining about young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Absolutely none of my peers have piercings/tattoos...but then I suppose they never really did.

Are you sure that none of them have piercings/tattoos? just because they're not visible doesn't mean that people don't have them.

Also I agree with most of the other posters, there is no upper age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

O_O

When did being 25 count as being "old"?

Why did nobody tell me, and let me get my first piercing at 27?

rememb er my mate mark?

he's just figured out his second tattoo :D

(btw, i got him his first for his 40th bday.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Got my first tattoo at 36. Actually my only tattoo!! The temptation for another is very much alive and well ;) I am currently a Manager in a multinational software company. Very few people know I have it though but I wouldn't care if they did.

25 is very young girl, but whatever anyone tells you, the answer lies within. If you are doubting because others are making comments then fcuk them but if you are doubting because that voice inside is talking then listen. Only you will know when it is the right time to remove them, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

There is not many people their 40's now with piercings other than earlobes as the more extreme piercings are a recent enough thing in Ireland. As the people in their 20's now get older more people will make it into their 40's and 50's with different piercings.

Any a slightly different note, I am not well up on piercings and have none, but can people get stretched lobes reversed with surgery or do they eventually close themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ni - Yeah I remember you telling me when he was gettin the first, what's the 2nd gonna be?

Eire_Tattoo - Depends on how much of a stretch, if it's not that big it closes down itself to pretty similar to a normal piercing. If it's big it mightn't reach anywhere near that small. Had to laugh at something posted here before, think it might have been GarthV that posted it, but it was that they'd have the puckered "cats bum" look :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Ni - Yeah I remember you telling me when he was gettin the first, what's the 2nd gonna be?

Eire_Tattoo - Depends on how much of a stretch, if it's not that big it closes down itself to pretty similar to a normal piercing. If it's big it mightn't reach anywhere near that small. Had to laugh at something posted here before, think it might have been GarthV that posted it, but it was that they'd have the puckered "cats bum" look :D

I could imagine that alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

large stretched lobes can be cut and sutured to look as if they were never stretched, some mod artists and plastic surgeons offer it

Advertisement