Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical scenario - landlords notice.

Options
  • 06-02-2008 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

The web being a public place I'm just going to lay this fictional tale out..would appreciate if people could give their opinions..

Three people live in three rented places which the same landlord owns.

Two of them get letters in the post saying that he's giving them a months notice to leave as part of his business is closing.

The third gets a letter saying that to synch up letting agreements with all his tenants could they please send in a signed letter agreeing to their lease ending in about six months time (implication is its going to auto renew then as before, just on a different date).

All three places are rented on the same lands owned by the one person (hard to understand why all three not getting the same letter).

The two getting the boot are long term tenants, the third isn't there very long comparatively.

Anyone any idea whats the reasoning is here?

Only thing I can think of is that the third is going to get the boot in six months time as their lease is newer and harder to break or something?

Or

The other two are paying far less rent and the landlord wants to raise all three places (identical) to the same rent but reckons they cannot raise the others by a a large amount (no idea what the others are..its hypothetical ok....).

Anyone any ideas what's going on?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I would advise the hypothetical long term tenants to ring threshold, as some very long term tenants have many rights, including rent control and the right not to be evicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

The landlord wants more rent. He's booting the longer term residents out because he didn't gradually raise the rent over the years and now the difference between what they are paying and what the market rate is, is too great. Not a huge amount the old tenants can do, except offer to pay the same rate as the new tenant. Rents have really risen a large amount lately, the landlord has just woken up to the fact, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Sarah and Patrick, much appreciated.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement