Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeaking when i turn right

Options
  • 06-02-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Hey guys... I drive a mk4 golf and when im turning right only while driving there is this annoying squeaking noise.. Has anyone ideas what it could be?? its due a service soon so il ask them about it too.. So anyone know what it is??

Cheers Vain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Low power steering fluid? Bearing? Stone stuck in brake disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Fey! wrote: »
    Low power steering fluid? Bearing? Stone stuck in brake disc?

not low power steering fluid.. il look into it about the bearing and stone thanks...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be any number of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

sounds like a cv joint - in lay mans terms where the spokes meet at the axle to turn the wheel. could be 300 euro to fix.

Sligored wrote: »
    sounds like a cv joint - in lay mans terms where the spokes meet at the axle to turn the wheel. could be 300 euro to fix.

Thought the cv joint makes a rattling noise when gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

Its your brakes
    happened to me no1 knew what it was garage told me theyd replace the power steerign but if the noise was still there then id still hve to pay
    breaks changed = noise gone

skaterdude wrote: »
    Its your brakes
    happened to me no1 knew what it was garage told me theyd replace the power steerign but if the noise was still there then id still hve to pay
    breaks changed = noise gone

What like the brake pades changed? iv plenty of pad left on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

so did i get ur mechanic to cheak out ur breaks
    cant hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

It sound like you might have a mouse, or mice, in or near your right wheel. Yes, it's very annoying. You could try remedying it by placing a cat by the wheel, but would miaowing when you turn right be any less annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Explain the squeak in more detail. Is it consistent with engine speed or road speed? Is it on full lock or partial lock?

On first impression, I'd be inclined to suspect the brakes as it is peculiar to one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Vain wrote: »
    Thought the cv joint makes a rattling noise when gone?

Could be CV as suggested or wheel bearing. As its on turning only sounds like CV.
    skaterdude wrote: »
    ?????

Dictionary dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TJJP wrote: »
    Could be CV as suggested or wheel bearing. As its on turning only sounds like CV.

The original complaint was a squeak which is not consistent with CVJ problems. A CVJ problem usually manifests itself as repetitive knock. Secondly, wheel bearings, due to the weight they carry, usually present faults as low droning noises rather than squeaks. Squeaks at any given wheel are usually down to brakes.

crosstownk wrote: »
    The original complaint was a squeak which is not consistent with CVJ problems. A CVJ problem usually manifests itself as repetitive knock.

True that, reckon it's wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I knowpeople are trying to be helpful but if you dont know what you are talking about.... stay stum. As said already, its not a wheel bearing or a cv joint. Had a mark4 make an annoying noise at low speed like when parking, it was the bearing on the shock top, could also be a bushing in the antiroll bar, or even a bent dustplate but this would be likely to make noise all the time. A better description would help...

slideways wrote: »
    I knowpeople are trying to be helpful but if you dont know what you are talking about.... stay stum.

Ouch, good thing I'm not sensitive....
    slideways wrote: »
    bearing on the shock top, could also be a bushing in the antiroll bar, or even a bent dustplate but this would be likely to make noise all the time.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there, so problem solved.

Hope I didn't ruin your thread.

yes only a squeak when partial locked... but doesnt matter what speed im doin when i turn the wheel right it still squeaks.. its def not cv joint doesnt sound one bit like it.. will be getting it serviced soon so will have them have a look over it.. could be maybe the brake pad rubbing

Advertisement