Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Permits licence 6 months

Options
  • 06-02-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've been told that a person has to have a permits licence for six months before you can even apply for a driving test. I got my permit in january. Would it work if i apply for a test now and sure it would be june or afterwards by the time i get a test anyway. I don't want to wait until june so i can apply, it would be another 9 or 10 months then before i would even get a test.

i've also been told thath if you get your employer to write a letter stating that you need a car and your full licence for work they would give you a test within a week or two of applying. Is this true does anyone know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

darling.x wrote: »
    I've been told that a person has to have a permits licence for six months before you can even apply for a driving test. I got my permit in january. Would it work if i apply for a test now and sure it would be june or afterwards by the time i get a test anyway. I don't want to wait until june so i can apply, it would be another 9 or 10 months then before i would even get a test.

i've also been told thath if you get your employer to write a letter stating that you need a car and your full licence for work they would give you a test within a week or two of applying. Is this true does anyone know.

You have to wait for 6 months before applying for your test and a letter from your employer wouldn't work until your 6th month of having a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

A person who is a first time holder of a learner permit, for a motorcycle, works vehicle or car (licence categories M, A1, A, W, B and EB) cannot take a driving test for a six month period after the commencement date of the permit.

Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. This change will apply to first time learner permit holders for motorcycles, works vehicles and cars after 30 October 2007. Any newly licenced person holding a learner permit must wait six months before taking a driving test.

From RSA Introduction of Learner Permit and Changes to the Driver Licensing System (Revised 29th October 2007)

Says take, so you can apply anytime. If you get a date before the 6 months are up, you would have to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

darling.x wrote: »

you wouldn't get in it within a week or two the average is one month but depends were your doing the test and the waiting lists have grown longer with everyone applying for their test now. My friend waited 3 months for test with a letter from her job while another waited just over 5 weeks.

But as started you still need to wait 6 months before you can even apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ztoical wrote: »
    you wouldn't get in it within a week or two the average is one month but depends were your doing the test and the waiting lists have grown longer with everyone applying for their test now. My friend waited 3 months for test with a letter from her job while another waited just over 5 weeks.

Looky you. Think I am coming into my 4 month ! Getting a joke now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

ztoical wrote: »

Have a look at the application form for a driving test. There is no "box" for date of issue of your driving permit.

Day of test, examiner checks the date of issue of the permit. If you have had the permit for over 6 months you do the test, if issued within 6 months, no test. Simple.

He DOES NOT ask date time you actually applied for the test.

Or read the link in my 1st post

Advertisement