Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from wireless ISP to Eircom

Options
  • 06-02-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, got a few questions:
    I'm moving from a wireless provider, have Eircom ordered, should have my wireless modem in a few days. I already have a home network, have a server which i use as a firewall and i run my current connection through it. I just want to be prepared and familiarise myself with what changes i gotta make to the server.

I connect to my current provider using pppoe, is eircom similar?
    Whats the ip of the modem?
    I'll not be using the wireless on the modem as i already have an access point, but i need it to supply an ethernet connection to the server.

Anything else i need to know?

Thanks in advance,
    Pog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Eircom is the same yes
    The ip is 192.168.1.254

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hey, got a few questions:
    I'm moving from a wireless provider, have Eircom ordered, should have my wireless modem in a few days. I already have a home network, have a server which i use as a firewall and i run my current connection through it. I just want to be prepared and familiarise myself with what changes i gotta make to the server.

I connect to my current provider using pppoe, is eircom similar?
    Whats the ip of the modem?
    I'll not be using the wireless on the modem as i already have an access point, but i need it to supply an ethernet connection to the server.

Anything else i need to know?

Thanks in advance,
    Pog

Eircom use PPPoE and their modems tend to be on 192.168.1.254 by default. If you're not using the wireless than deactivate or change to WPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks folks

BTW, how do i get my pppoe settings? I presume eircom will send them with the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You can just bridge the eircom modem if your firewall box was doing the pppoe dialling. The settings are all the same afaik , eircom/broadband1

bushy... wrote: »
    You can just bridge the eircom modem if your firewall box was doing the pppoe dialling. The settings are all the same afaik , eircom/broadband1

Thats what i'd prefer do, my server is doing the pppoe dialing atm & is set to dynamic ip. Just a matter of changing the username & password. Setting it as a bridge would also disable wireless.

BTW, I have a new line, I wanted to order 2 or 3mbit but Eircom have told me that they cannot guarantee that my line can handle more than 1 mbit, that i'd have to order 1mbit & get tests done when its connected.
    Is this normal?
    Has this happened to others?
    Will i be able to get faster speeds?
    Are they just playing safe in case theres a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thats what i'd prefer do, my server is doing the pppoe dialing atm & is set to dynamic ip. Just a matter of changing the username & password. Setting it as a bridge would also disable wireless.

BTW, I have a new line, I wanted to order 2 or 3mbit but Eircom have told me that they cannot guarantee that my line can handle more than 1 mbit, that i'd have to order 1mbit & get tests done when its connected.
    Is this normal?
    Has this happened to others?
    Will i be able to get faster speeds?
    Are they just playing safe in case theres a problem?

Eircom are being fair to you in this case (it does happen - shock horror:) Obviously they are concerned about the quality of your line and in such cases it is best to start with the slow speed and then upgrade if things settle satisfactorily. If you have not read up on line stats before these articles make interesting reading:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

But i live in a new house in a new estate less than 100m from the exchange, shouldn't be a problem or what?

In fact, when we moved in here in nov 06, i ordered a fone thinking we could get eircom bb, but when the engineer called he said there wasn't a line yet & that the exchange wasn't enabled, so i cancelled the fone. Its a brand new line afaik.

Has anyone else heard of them being cautious like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Off topic: It's good of eircom when their staff know their bloody job.

My neighbour was an amber line but eircom allowed a 2mbit order on it. Sure enough, the line is syncing at a solid and steady 1024/128 despite the higher speed package being paid for. Eircom's strategy for amber lines seems to be to allow 1 mbit at most. Digiweb in comparison seem to be reluctant to take amber orders for even 1mbit over the phone.

Anyway, go for the 1mbit order. Many websites won't even allow faster download speeds than that and it's easy to upgrade the speed if your line allows it. It's the same advice I gave to the folks at home last week, and we're also moving from wireless to wired:)

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it take a while after activating a new line for it to show its capability on the system? Will I have a problem getting more than 1meg?
    I mean, I'm only a stones throw from the exchange in a new estate on a new line. I have problems with the online checker, it always comes back that the line may be suitable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it take a while after activating a new line for it to show its capability on the system? Will I have a problem getting more than 1meg?
    I mean, I'm only a stones throw from the exchange in a new estate on a new line. I have problems with the online checker, it always comes back that the line may be suitable.

Calm down:rolleyes: Each line is unique and Eircom must have spotted something if they are reluctant to give you more than the basic speed for starters - after all its in their own interest to get people onto the expensive products. If your line stats are ok you can then upgrade to the faster speeds.

• Advertisement

Just to keep ye all upto date, got netopia router in post 2day, plugged it in & got a flashing dsl light........aaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!:mad: Rang eircom technical help & was told that my bb will not be turned on until 22nd, could be the 27th at the latest. Any way of speeding the fcukers up? most times the bb is enabled before the router is recieved.

Just checked the order online and it says its not sheduled until 27th :mad:

I'm still waiting, its like banging your head against a wall. Fcukin pathetic service. I'm since the 1st week in dec waitin for this but they just couldn't give a $hit.

Advertisement