Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fiat puntos

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

what fiat puntos like. was told that 00 and 01 puntos are unreliable due to something that i don't know. I'm a learner driver and i hope to get a 02, 03 or 04 punto. Are they good cars. are they reliable.

I've also been told not to go too mad for my first car because as a learner i might drive it into a wall or something and i might be sorry if i do. Should i take this advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Stay away, gf got 00 one and know few people with ones a few years later. They are rubbish. Would recommend getting a japanese car as they are so easy for learners. Maybe a 00 Yaris would be good. Great cars to learn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

00 will be the same as 02 and 03! this sort of wisdom amuses me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

my sister is a L driver and she bought a 01 punto and its a wee dream. its really easy to drive and she has had no trouble with it. we bought it the day it passed the nct tho.

nice wee car for a learner - heard good and bad reports but think u hear good and bad about every kinda car. sometimes u just gotta take a chance. id recommend it anyway - perfect beginner car and really easy to drive.

Puntos have their good points, reasonably wel equipped, easy to drive, stylish. build quality and reliability are known to be patchy though. I bought one new back in the day in case anyone thinks I'm biassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

give it a go girlie the worst case is you'l have to sell it on. no1 else can be the judge of the car only u.

• Advertisement

I'd be looking for something else, unless you can get a ridiculously tidy and low mileage model with a full service history for small money.

I'd be looking at Fiesta and Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I'm not a car person at all - have an 01 Punto and its grand. Have been driving it since 02 and see no reason to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

They're not the worst cars - you can buy a lot worse actually! Go for a 00/01 - don't spend too much money on it, cause depreciation isn't kind to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They're great cars for learners. Easy to manouver, small but nippy in the city.

The problem that you are referring to is probably the head gasket. They have a tendancy to fail in older Puntos. (I have a 1999 old-body model and the head gasket went last August). These can be quite expensive to repair compared to the value of the car. (Thankfully my Dad is a mechanic, so I only paid for parts and a chinese meal).

I would recommend a Punto for a learner, but do try to find out if the head gasket has been done on any car that you're interested in purchasing. Other than the head gasket, my Punto has been 100% reliable, great starter in cold mornings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

darling.x wrote: »
    what fiat puntos like. was told that 00 and 01 puntos are unreliable due to something that i don't know. I'm a learner driver and i hope to get a 02, 03 or 04 punto. Are they good cars. are they reliable.

Reliabilty? No, a lot of board members can you tell that. i'm sure you could get a Toyota yaris, Ford Fiesta or Seat Ibiza all for around the same price. I would recommed the yaris myself if i had choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

00 or 01 Puntos can be had for silly money, like a grand up.

You'll have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince though, as many of them were in the poverty trap from day one.

I picked up a 00 recently for the OH with the gasket and belt done and literally unmarked bodywork, but looking around, I see a lot of rough ones...

If you must get a Punto, try and get a 16v HLX model, or if 8 valves is unavoidable, aim for ELX spec (or at the very least, Elegance), black bumpers and windey windows are so 1980's, so the basic first run models are to be avoided.

Just thinking back, New FIAT smell is lovely, much nicer than new Japanese car smell....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

8 valve engine has the head gasket issue. The 16 valve unit is generally reliable.

If your buying one cheap then put some money you saved away in the event of needing repairs. Be fussy as to which one you want to buy as there are lots and lots of Puntos on the second hand market. Elegance or Sporting models are the best and come with a 6 speed gear box afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

00 or 01 Puntos can be had for silly money, like a grand up.

You'll have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince though, as many of them were in the poverty trap from day one.

Nail + head. A family member bought a brand new cinquecento in '95. She had it for several years and the oil was never checked, or anything else for that matter. The car was never serviced. Occasionaly she had to browse the house to gather up a bag of loose change to buy a couple of litres of petrol. I kid you not. It was a miracle that the car was still ok when she sold it on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

id choose the mk1 over the later mk2 to be honest, there are issues with the car as there are will almost every car, the 8v is the one that suffers from the headgasket problems but its also the easier one to repair., you could get the head gasket done on one of them for very little money compared to a lot of other cars., have a look for a mk1 ELX 85, that will be a 16v one but they have all the extras from proper seats, elec windows, sunroof etc., you can pick onf of them up for around 1000squid these days., the 03-04 models are mk2b's and are pretty much the same as the 99 and up model.,

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I wouldn't touch one with a 40ft barge pole! i'd sooner go for a Rover 200, 1.1. before touching an Italian small car. never heard or read a good report on those cars. But then i'm an awful chap for a challenge! Advice on this thread recommended jap cars and i would have to agree... despite i hate those "soleless" cars with a passion! Go for Suzuki or Toyota, Mitsubishi colt - small engines available in all ranges, check for boy racer damage and wear and tear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

you need to use your common sense here young lady and buy a nice fiesta 1.25 zetec, superior car... ask anyone!

forget the puntos, the slight chance of getting an actualy decent one are slim.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hanson

I have an 01 Punto Sporting 16v, and it is a very good car. It is easy to drive, but so is any car when u get used to it. The head gasket seems to be a big problem in Puntos, but it dosent usually go until around 50k miles.
    Some people say that Fiats arent good cars, but that is about as far from the truth as you can get. They are cheap to insure aswell, take it form an 18 year old lad with a provisional license!
    Go for the Punto, I love mine and I'm sure u will love yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

land9 wrote: »
    They're not the worst cars - you can buy a lot worse actually! Go for a 00/01 - don't spend too much money on it, cause depreciation isn't kind to them!

This statement is incorrect. They ARE in fact the worst car on the road. Anyone i know who had one has had something serious go wrong with it. I would lean more in favour of a bicycle than a punto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Jrad wrote: »
    This statement is incorrect. They ARE in fact the worst car on the road.
    care to back that up with any sort of proof?:confused:
    Jrad wrote:
    Anyone i know who had one has had something serious go wrong with it. I would lean more in favour of a bicycle than a punto.
    this my fellow boardsies is a classic example of the famous "i know a fella" hearsay sh*t talk,.;)
    I wouldnt judge a car by the bad things some people say about them without having good reason to do so., A punto isnt the best car in the world but you could do far worse. So far ive lost count of the amount of them ive had from the 55sx, 60s, 85ELX etc etc., in fact i just got another cinquecento a couple of weeks ago from another boardsie., the mk2 did have some electrical problems and i much prefer the look of the mk1 myself. there are some jap cars that you could go for like the starlet, yaris etc but they will be a fair bit more expencive than the punto and might not have as good a spec.,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Chr!st, i totally forgot about the cinquecento. They are the worst car on the road with the punto coming in a close second.
    My mate from college had a punto and had to walk regularly due to the head gasket blowing the whole time, i know this not due to "i know a fella" hearsay sh*t talk,. but rather because he told me and i witnessed such. Same with my good mates punto who i regularly gave lifts to.
    "i know a fella" hearsay sh*t talk,. is usually reserved for stories about people masterbating and opening their eyes to find their mother left a cup of tea on their bedside locker for them.
    When so many people say fiats are absolutley terrible cars why would you even consider buying one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I am not a Punto fan but I can see why many people pick them up. They are cheap, and when free from problems they are a nice small car to drive.
    An excellent learner car in terms of spec, but in terms of reality, the real test of a driver is situations where something in the car is failing, and can you navigate your way through the situatio without blocking or causing any damage. Now I am not saying that the Punto in general is more unreliable than cars in that price / size bracket, but the perception in general is that they are amongst the worst on the road.
    I mean for the money, there are more reliable cars. Its true, if you buy an Italian car and you are into driving then go ahead, but just be savvy enough to get it checked out first, make sure you keep up to date with servicing it, and don't get too mad when you end up stranded on the side of the road a few times. (Just like with the Alfas!) It is definitely a case of that there are many frogs before you find the punto prince. Personally, if I were you, I would probably go bigger, older and japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

as pointed out by other posters, go jap. I know too many puntos from late 90's up to somewhere around 03 that have broken down. Also not brill in accidents. I know two cases where puntos nearly killed the driver and it was proven to be Fiats fault. Can't say much more because it was a big legal issue....
    back on topic....
    jap - yes
    Fiat- no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Whatever other failings it has , the punto is not an unsafe car. I would much rather be in a 00 punto in a smash than a polo or a yaris of the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A Punto wouldn't be the worst but wallet allowing I'd go for a Polo, Ibiza, Fabia, Fiesta or Micra or even a relatively old Clio before I'd buy a Punto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I learned how to drive in a Corsa; still have it and still love it. It's a '97 and have only had a small bit of trouble with it; had to replace the rear wheel bearings. I suppose that you will always remember your first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

congo_90 wrote: »
    Also not brill in accidents.

The mkII punto got a 4 star ncap rating IIRC, as good as the best superminis of its era, and better than most.
    congo_90 wrote:
    I know two cases where puntos nearly killed the driver and it was proven to be Fiats fault. Can't say much more because it was a big legal issue....

If it was proven, then there is no legal issue, it would be fact and could be discussed. It sounds like a load of bull**** to me, that would explain why you can't elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Between family and friends, in the past few years they've owned about 5 Fiats between them, all hassle free, 7 VW's, each one had problems, 4 Audi's, all but one had problems, and significant problems at that, 5 Toyota's, 2 or 3 problems, not too much, 2 Hondas, no problems.
    So it depends on who you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just thinking back, New FIAT smell is lovely, much nicer than new Japanese car smell....

Its also so impregnated that 4 years on I can still get it back by vacuuming the seats! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Darling.x- go for the car YOU want. I was here a few months back asking about Puntos and had similar responses- most people said to go for it but there's always 1 or 2 people that tell you they know LOADS of people who had a crap Punto... people hear of ONE person who had trouble with a Punto and suddenly all Puntos are terrible.. it's human nature to focus on the bad things. Listen to the people who have actually had one!

I have a Punto (1997) and it is fine. Had a small bit of trouble with the fanbelt recently which I think was my own fault. Mechanic was able to fix it straight away.

Don't spend a lot of money on your first car. Mine was €1100. The first time I ever tried to start it myself I screwed up (had only had 2 lessons) and drove it through an 8ft metal gate and 2 wheelie bins full of paper! But no harm done. I love my car, as small cars go it's pretty spacious, nice to look at too and nice to drive. I was never going to get a Clio or a Micra, way too small and ugly too! We had a Punto years ago as well when they first came out, we had it for years, bought from new, never had any trouble with it.

Advertisement